Be Safe Florida Members

DragCat

Same here, spoke to a few of them the last couple of days.  This looks like it's going to be a real bad one.

Good luck, stay safe, and hoping for the best for everyone. 

i just finished armor plating my windows, so I should be okay. We are experienced hurricane "observers" and have taken all the usual precautions.... with plenty of liquor in case things get dicey :beer:

• Like 3

Our oldest daughter and her family live in Cape Coral, she said they had lost two trees already and two more ready to go. Shem sent a video of the wind blowin g and howling like nothing I have ever heard the wind blow. This was the last communication we received after her power went off. So I imagine the cell towers are also down so we hope to get an update tomorrow.  

Ian was basically a direct hit on our costal neighborhood, making landfall between Cape Coral and and Punta Gorda.  It was just as strong but much larger and slower moving than Charley that directly hit Punta Gorda in 2004. 

We are still at our summer home in Crosslake, MN so did not have to evacuate.  Our boat was securely lashed high on its life and all the hurricane shutters were put up before we left in late April.  Unfortunately, that does nothing to stop flooding from a huge storm surge or prevent high winds from peeling the roof off.  I hope neither of those damages occurred but I won't know until my daughter can get over there to inspect things in the next day or two.

Since my house is only 9' above sea level (and the garage floor is almost 2 feet lower), I know my Monte would not have escaped a storm surge in the 12 to 18 foot range initially projected. Even a modest storm surge with so much surface rain may have created a flooding incident.  Earlier, when I had an opportunity to have our cars moved to higher ground, Ian's expected target was Tampa Bay and our storm surge was projected to be much lower so I took the risk.  Anxious to find out what actually happened to our property and vehicles ...

Hoping for the best Dennis  My daughter and her family rode it out and last report they lost four trees but were physically safe and as of yet have seen no house damage in Cape Coral  Got a phone call last night around 8PM with that latest report still pretty windy though

Just got a call from my daughter and granddaughter who safely rode out the storm about six miles inland with some property damage.  They made it over to our neighborhood this morning. 

Neither our house nor garage was flooded and the canal at the back of our property had receded back within the seawalls. What a relief!  Of course, the pool screening was gone and part of the screen cage was in the pool but only a few roof tiles had blown off. Several trees and tropical plants were down but the tallest palms were miraculously intact!

My Monte and wife's Lexus were unscathed  ... so much to be thankful for!!  Now if the army of power company repairmen can get power restored soon, evacuated folks can return so cleanup/restoration work can begin in earnest. It is so much worse about 30 miles south in Ft Myers and on down to Naples.  Those areas were inundated by a 12' storm surge so there was massive destruction and many suspected (unconfirmed) fatalities.  Very sad ...

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, MCfan said:

My Monte and wife's Lexus were unscathed  ... so much to be thankful for!! 

That's great news! 

I was contacted by some of the people I know down there, they were mostly OK as well.

• Like 1

Survived my first hurricane here in Clearwater. Luckily the storm turned inland well south of us so the Tampa area was spared, but south of us got hit hard. I feel bad for those that didn't have enough time to prep or evacuate. Total devastation. 

John

• Like 1

I have family in Tampa, St. Petersburg, Jacksonville and St. Augustine and nobody even lost power.  Dennis and others, I am glad no major damage, especially the Monte's

rob

15 hours ago, MCfan said:

Just got a call from my daughter and granddaughter who safely rode out the storm about six miles inland with some property damage.  They made it over to our neighborhood this morning. 

Neither our house nor garage was flooded and the canal at the back of our property had receded back within the seawalls. What a relief!  Of course, the pool screening was gone and part of the screen cage was in the pool but only a few roof tiles had blown off. Several trees and tropical plants were down but the tallest palms were miraculously intact!

My Monte and wife's Lexus were unscathed  ... so much to be thankful for!!  Now if the army of power company repairmen can get power restored soon, evacuated folks can return so cleanup/restoration work can begin in earnest. It is so much worse about 30 miles south in Ft Myers and on down to Naples.  Those areas were inundated by a 12' storm surge so there was massive destruction and many suspected (unconfirmed) fatalities.  Very sad ...

I have friends in Punta Gorda and they said the exact same thing:  a few roof tiles and trees were pretty much the extent of their loss. Uncanny. 

23AB1178-CA3F-42E6-B3B7-8BB3960D8C8F.png

Glad to hear our family members and their family members are all ok and safe!!     I have heard the count of not so lucky people and Thank God that number is low. From the look of that damage that number should of been way higher.

All i can say is Thank God and prayers do work!!!

• Like 2

They must build houses out of concrete in coatal areas. 180 wind gust and no major damage except the surge.  Around here stuff falls apart with 100 mph weak tornadoes

1. They do have very strict building codes in the Cape Coral area.  When I visit down there there is always construction on new houses so I watch them for a week or two while there and some if not all have concrete inside the concrete block and the fasteners holding the roof on are unbelievable. 

If using concrete blocks I am told that not only rebar rods are put down through the holes inside the blocks and then concrete is poured down into those block holes.

rob

Rob... yep. That is exactly what they do and not just in Cape Coral but all over Florida. We have friends building a home in Port Orange and that is what they did after the block was up. Rebar and filled with concrete. Ever since Hurricane Andrew the building codes changed in Florida