Opinion gas preference

Chris shipley

26 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Ethanol free, whatever I can get. It's usually around 91 92 or 93. I don't really need premium but I definitely want Ethanol free.

Got some today 4.54 a gallon where I'm located 

Depends if your engine needs the higher octane or not. I asked my tuner that question years ago when we modded the ZR1. His answer was as expected, octane requirement was more important than non-eth fuel. This was from a guy who does dyno runs every day and sees the effect of octane on engine performance, timing retard, etc.

The highest non-eth we have around here is 90 nowadays, but Sunoco Ultra 93  (10% eth) is still available. I use the 93 in all the cars with no issues.

I do use the non-eth in all the small engines though (lawn mower, snow blower, generators, weed whacker, etc).

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Depends if your engine needs the higher octane or not. I asked my tuner that question years ago when we modded the ZR1. His answer was as expected, octane requirement was more important than non-eth fuel. This was from a guy who does dyno runs every day and sees the effect of octane on engine performance, timing retard, etc.

The highest non-eth we have around here is 90 nowadays, but Sunoco Ultra 93  (10% eth) is still available. I use the 93 in all the cars with no issues.

I do use the non-eth in all the small engines though (lawn mower, snow blower, generators, weed whacker, etc).

Thanks for the info

• Like 1

Gotta run premium in the crate, I run AV gas in the blue oval because its just a weekend cruiser when its not raining. Non ethanol is what most classic car guys run, if you live close to a marina it may be cheaper than at the station pump. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chris shipley said:

Got some today 4.54 a gallon where I'm located 

I paid 4.39 a gallon in my home town the next day down near Albany I paid 4.79 a gallon it was up around 5.50 a gallon this past summer here but it's well worth it. Like Joe said in the small engines that's all I put in them.

• Like 2

Being my motor is 420 hp, I use  non ethanol whenever I can find it,add Lucas octane booster and if ethanol 93,  I'll add 108 octane booster. When she's done for the year, Star tron additive and will last more than a year in climate controlled garage. That's a 10:2 compression ratio motor.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Scott S. said:

Is not Ethanol much like unleaded gas ???

Most original engines don't take kindly to unleaded, so I'm thinking the less ethanol, the better. 

Non-ethanol fuel at the local gas stations IS unleaded gas. So, ethanol or not, it's still going to be unleaded.

Good luck trying to find leaded fuel anywhere, at least easily. Especially with the majority of vehicles on the road having EFI. Leaded fuel will ruin an oxygen sensor, an essential part of a computer controlled fuel system.

Lead was used to raise the octane & lubricate the valve seats. Most people just use hardened valve seats when rebuilding cylinder heads now, or they'll already be installed if buying new heads. It all comes back to how much octane do you need to keep from knocking under load.

• Like 3

As mentioned prior, its all about your engine requirements , just like oil on some old cars, gotta have the one with zinc in it. On a build I did years ago, ran AV gas but had to use a lead additive. 

• Like 1

Of the 7 legal hot rods I have, I am just too cheap to go anything other than premium 10% ethanol. That means I have to run at least two full tanks through every year and in the summer slam them with Sta Bil. Being in South Florida it is the opposite of Northern climates. The fun stuff only rolls fall, winter, and spring. Even my Hemi doesn't mind it and neither does my 11:1 632 in my race car.

• Like 1

We found a station in TN when we were there a few years back that sold non-ethanol in all three octane ratings, and it was cheap. I wonder why our local places, and most places really, only offer non-e gas in the mid octane range. 

4 hours ago, cbolt said:

We found a station in TN when we were there a few years back that sold non-ethanol in all three octane ratings, and it was cheap. I wonder why our local places, and most places really, only offer non-e gas in the mid octane range. 

🤔

For the members in Northern NY, you are lucky to be able to purchase non ethanol fuel. From Albany south, it’s not available to us at gas stations. Occasionally they are available in a 5 gallon pail at stiff prices. When I’m up in Northern NY I try to bring a few 5 gallon jugs back with me for my small power equipment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Montemedic said:

For the members in Northern NY, you are lucky to be able to purchase non ethanol fuel. From Albany south, it’s not available to us at gas stations. Occasionally they are available in a 5 gallon pail at stiff prices. When I’m up in Northern NY I try to bring a few 5 gallon jugs back with me for my small power equipment. 

I got at the Stewart shop right off the exit on 90 on the road to Lebanon Valley I believe it's rt 20 not cheap but available. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...