flasher relay or bulb socket? Hazard button?

Crom Cruach

Hi folks, I'm having indicator trouble. I suspected the flasher relay so I shorted the connections on the fuse board with a little connecting wire, but it didn't make any difference. The bulbs have all been changed. The rear side lights come on and stay on when I turn the light switch on. turning the indicator lever has no effect. The front side lights don't come on with the light switch or the indicator lever. the front indicator bulbs (the large 382 amber bulbs - this is a '72) come on with the headlights, but they don't flash. Both the dash indicator lights come on when I turn the light switch on, and they don't flash when I turn the indicator stalk. Also, the hazard switch doesn't click out when I pull it. Headlights work as they should. Brake lights work perfect when the dash light switch is off, but when the headlights are on, the rear (red) lights come on and the brake lights are barely brighter than the rear lights.

If I remember correctly, the indicators worked on one side only when I got the car, and the other side would come on but not flash. The hazard switch was always stiff, but used to work ok. The relay used to click up until a few weeks ago. it doesn't now. The rear side light accessed in the trunk is corroded and needs replacing. I got it working to test it, with a piece of tin foil to make the connection. I haven't done anything with the electrics recently, but I painted the engine and some frame parts, and had the battery out for a while. car is driving great.

Does is sound like I just need a new flash relay and two front (pigtail?) side light harnesses? What can I do with the hazard switch?

IMG_21BA1CD3B743-1.jpeg

IMG_A9C8C45FCAF8-1.jpeg

IMG_5A3EA8D2D9BA-1.jpeg

You should be able to reach it without removing anything. It’s on the top of the bracket that the steering column mounts too. I know my 70 & 71 have it but not positive on the 72. 

• Like 2

Paul, check all the bulbs on the outside. Make sure they are all functioning properly. Sounds like some are not. You didn't have this issue until you changed all the bulbs. Sounds like a backfeed. 

All I remember is:

the 1156 bulb has ONE element and ONE spot to connect power to, via the socket. It is used in the Back Up lights.

the 1157 bulb has TWO elements and TWO spots to connect power to via the socket and I believe were the only ones used in the Ft (one bulb each side) and Rear (Two bulbs each side) T/S and illumination. 

The small little lights are used in the side markers.

I bought some replacement 1157 bulbs over 10 years ago, and they had a slightly smaller base and it was loose in the socket causing some intermittent problems. I bought some higher quality bulbs and they fit much better / tighter.

GROUNDS are very important and need to be checked.

Side story, It's 1969 and My friend was replacing a bulb on the taillight of his 64 Chevy but couldn't get it to work.

I took a look and found he had jammed a 1156 into a 1157 socket!!!!!!!! Dah..

Good times...

ALSO!!! What is not stock or was changed?

The largest cause of taillight and T/S problems I remember repairing, is after someone ADDS A TRAILER HITCH WITH WIRING!!! or a an "A Pillar" adjustable spot light. 

• Like 1

sadly the turn signal flasher(if i remember correctly-no guarantee on that) is in a much tougher location up under the dash...i think the electronic flasher is more reliable than the old bimetal style... go with   EF552?   again please correct me on this also...been a while

• Like 1

Sorted. 1157 bulbs are called 380 here - dual filament 21/5w. I think it was backfeed Tom because I had single filament in there 😬. Wasn’t paying attention. Loads of corrosion though, need to replace a side marker and a bottom rear bulb fitting. Hazard switch broken but turn signals are good again. Cheers

• Like 3

If you're talking about the lenses on either side of the grill, they came from the factory as amber...... Being a signal light, the colour differs from the headlamps to provide contrast when indicating a turn. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my 71, No A/C Monte fuse block. The FLASHER shown is for the 4 way flashers isn't it?

I believe the T/S Flasher is attached to the steering column. I can't find a picture to show that one, sorry.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

batt_red_wire.thumb.jpg.6fba9fec9dd73a20e96352624974cb5f.jpgAs of today both my flashers are OEM, never changed.

I remember when I added a trailer for my snowmobile, the T/S would flash way faster!!!

• 8 months later...

I figured I would ask in this thread since its related...  the turn signal flasher on 1972  column has 2 pink wires(1 large/1 small) on one terminal and a small purple on the other...the original flasher looks to be a thermal and flashes very slow...the electronic flasher ef552  needs to respect line/load...  if I had one guess I'd say the 2 pinks are 12v supply and the purple is the flash output...  can you guys verify or correct me? rather not burn it out or crawl under there any more than necessary!! I'm hoping that the EF552 will flash quicker than what's in there (labeled a 323 "3 bulb flasher")  thanks for any info         Brian

Looking at the 1972 Chassis Service Manual Wiring diagram on pages 12-64 and 12-65 Figures 81 and 82, the 12 gauge Pink (Large) Wire goes to your fuse box ignition fuse 39 to supply 12vdc to the Directional Flasher and the 20 gauge Pink (Small) Wire goes to supply power to your BackUp Lamp Switch.  The 14 gauge Purple wire goes directly to Pin 16 of your Turn Signal Wiring Harness on the column to provide output of the Directional Flasher.  Hope this helps.

perfect! that woulda been my guess! but as we know too well, "guess" and automotive  wiring...seldom perfect together!!   thanks...will report back on how it works

(A) ok just a couple more... the EF552 went in and much improved...blinks   at a good rate...about 80 times a minute... the old 323 thermal was about half that...terrible!

two questions i have...all the bulbs are OEM incandescent... wonder what would cause the old unit to blink so slow? I didn't change to LED and lower the current.

also I still hear a nice 'click', I was under the impression that the EF552 was electronic and only the old thermal element types "click"?

(B) If the dumba$$ award hasn't been given today i will take it...the data says dont hook it up backwards or else...so just a quick look under there and I wanted to ask about polarity,  but when you pull it the 90 degree plug only goes on one way!! can't screw up!! duh

I know with engine swaps and frame-offs this is minor BS but if anyone has a slow nite, I appreciate the input...like most of us I want to know the 'why' and not just parts swap...Thanks!!

Probably just won't work if hooked up in reverse (if someone used female spade terminals perhaps) It's electronic, would need correct polarity to work properly, plus look at the schematic, the 'L' terminal is the output to the lamps.

https://www.ceclighting.com/attachments/flashers/EF552.pdf

https://www.ceclighting.com/products/flashers/flashdetails.php?SentPartNum=EF552

• Like 1