Hood latch release spring.

When I pull the hood release, the heavy hood barely rises enough to get my fingers under it.

Is there some adjustment in this assembly? 

Shims to preload the spring?

Is there a heavier spring available?

Hey Bob, On the top right of this page search for it, there will be a post of someone inserting a small spring inside the large spring and that seems to work. The size of the new spring is posted also. Someone else might chime in but i think that's what they did to make it work. 

• Like 1

Yes Willie that's exactly what I did, remember I gave my extra spring to Mike at Syracuse. I got the idea from another member. I lost the part number for the spring but it is posted on here somewhere. Bob I could probably get a picture of it but it's hard to see the inside spring because everything is painted black.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1970mcss said:

The menards spring will fit inside the existing spring. Good luck

Excellent, that's what I'll get if the new OEM doesn't work as expected. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 9:47 AM, 1970mcss said:

Menards sells the spring. This is the spring I used.IMG_20210818_1905589.thumb.jpg.0e63b63870be09a86ec263304ebabd9e.jpgIMG_20210818_1906043.thumb.jpg.63f7302d9852939c07d083c4eaa99ab5.jpg

The GM 1501-8459spring does not fit. It's a tapered spring with the wire on the narrow end bent in across the diameter of the spring, won't go over the pin.

Not having a Menards anywhere near me (FL) I found a spring on ebay with the same part number and matching dimensions as the Midwest Fastener item that 1970mcss posted. https://www.ebay.com/itm/175030924165

My thanks to 1970mcss 👍 for sharing this info, I have a spring on the way!

My helper spring came out of a large assortment of compression spring I've collected over the years so I don't know its specs or part number.  Mine does not look as robust as the Mennards spring but it works all the same.  The one you ordered should do the trick.

P7170670.JPG

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

The helper spring method didn't work very well for me. It seemed as though the helper spring was being fully compressed and wouldn't let the hood go down far enough leaving the hood about 1/8" high at the front. I could not adjust that 1/8" out of it. I removed the helper spring and the stretched the original spring about 1" (unloaded) and that gave it just enough oomph to get the hood high enough to get my fingers comfortably under it to lift while closing to the perfect height with perfect snugness at the latch.

• 2 weeks later...

The Menards spring wouldn't let my hood latch down. I had re-stretched the original spring on my '71 before I got the Menards spring and it was much better, but I was in Menards a few weeks later and picked up their spring. I went ahead and tried it, but it's too long.

Dan

• Like 2

8 hours ago, overdrive said:

The Menards spring wouldn't let my hood latch down. I had re-stretched the original spring on my '71 before I got the Menards spring and it was much better, but I was in Menards a few weeks later and picked up their spring. I went ahead and tried it, but it's too long.

Dan

Dan the one I used was from Midwest fastners on there board the # is 54. I looked I do have an extra one in you want it. I bought a few a while back and gave a couple to other members your welcome to it, I can get more at my local ace hardware if I ever need them. It's the one that's missing on the end because I took it off way back when, they got more in but never replaced it.

20231002_161332.jpg

• Like 4

Steve, thanks for offering, but my hood opens fine just from stretching the original spring. I was in Menards anyway, so I just got a spring to see if it fit. I appreciate your offer.

Dan

• Like 4