Approaching Trunk Surface Rust

GoGreen70MC

I have been reluctant to try to tackle some of the rust areas on my car, but I decided to start in the area where it "appears" to be least. I initially spot treated some areas with white vinegar. As the pictures show there is some clean metal underneath the rusted areas. At this point I am not ready to sand down the whole trunk and go the POR15 route and repaint with spatter. For the time being my plan was going to wire wheel the rust spots and then use rustoleom to treat those affected areas. I know spot treating rust is not ideal, but I don't want to take on a big project as I prep the car for storage in the coming weeks. I have no experience with fixing rust and just wanted some input as to whether this plan souds okay as a temporary solution and advice on the particular products to use. Thanks. 

Conrad 

IMG_5198.jpeg

iQQwcRSyQO2gmHm1aFgTdw.jpg

I would do that no problem. But the bigger issue is the underside. If it’s coming from the bottom up what you do to the topside won’t matter. IMO. I’m not a body man either. 

Thanks for the replies. I had success with the wire wheel and brushing. I do feel inclined to coat the whole trunk with rust reformer and repaint. I am wondering if the spatter paint in there is original for the purposes of color matching it. The car has been repainted in the past and I am not sure if the trunk was done too. Any thoughts? 

In my opinion this rust is due to water coming into the trunk as it was parked outside for a significant amount of time. It has, however, been garaged and out of the elements for the past 20 years. There is one spot of rot at the lip of the trunk floor underneath the latch but I would have to remove the bumper to gauge the extent of the problem. The underside of the car needs a lot of help as it spent its life in the midwest. 😑 I hope to start addressing it in the springtime.  

• Like 3