Help with neutral safety switch adjustment

TheBMan

I replaced the neutral safety switch in my 72 MC because the reverse lights weren't working. It's a pretty easy part swap but it has an adjustment built in so you can rotate the switch on the column to find the right spot where everything works correctly (starts in park or neutral, reverse lights work) and I can't seem to find the sweet spot where everything works correctly. I can get it so the car starts in Park or Neutral and the reverse lights work but when I go from Drive to Park, it engages the starter as I move the shifter up to Park. OR I can get it so that the reverse lights work and it doesn't engage the starter when going from Drive to Park, but it won't start with the shift lever in Park. Moving the shift arm down slightly will make the car start but then it's not locked in place in the Park position.

Is there an adjustment procedure that I'm not aware of? Seems like it should be pretty straight forward. Any help is appreciated!

switch.jpg

38 minutes ago, TheBMan said:

@jft69zThanks Joe! I searched for neutral safety switch and "neutral safety switch" but didn't find this. Appreciate it!

I did the same Bryan, lol. It didn't pop up any results, then I looked for 'switch adjustment' with my username in the search criteria, then it showed what I was looking for. I knew I posted it somewhere 😁.

Good luck & let us know how you make out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

If your starter is being engaged while shifting you have a second issue, as it should only be able to engage when turning the key to 'start'. You may need to adjust the ignition switch as well.

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/steering-column-ignition-switch.329012/post-2950133

This is good info, Cody. I did find it odd that this starter issue began after I replaced the neutral safety switch. This adjustment may be the answer. Thank you!

2 hours ago, TheBMan said:

I finally got around to re-adjusting this. I used Joe's (@jft69z) adjustment method found here and it worked perfectly. Starts in Park and Neutral, reverse lights work, and no false starter engagement. Thanks Joe!

Great!

Glad it worked out for you & thanks for letting us know it was the fix.

• Like 3