Aussie Monte carlo

Nath

Hi there forum. I'm just putting the subject out there, I'm in Australia and looking for some info before I go ahead and look at purchasing a 71 Monte Carlo 402 3sp console auto, factory air, power steer/windows and wondering if anyone could shed some info on whether this model is collectable, value, issues with the car, as there isn't much of a following over here. Thanks for reading, Nath

Good morning Nath, or good evening for you . Welcome to the madness.

It sounds like your looking at a particular car to buy, posting pictures of the car will help members take a look at any visible issues they see and possible problems.

G'day DragCat, yes good morning to you, which is evening for me. No probs at all, I will try and flick some screenshots of the car in question, hopefully it loads through, thanks Screenshot_20221010-221434.thumb.png.f7dbec88e537d4f93efea8bac93ee680.png

• Like 1

Nath,

First, welcome to FGMCC website.  We hope you like what you see here and if that is so, you will consider becoming a full fledged dues paying member.

Mark is right.  We would need more information on the car you are interested in.  

The majority of first gen Monte's had a turbo-hydromatic 350 or 400 transmission.  The 402 is considered a Big Block engine and more desireable than a 350 or 400 but not super rare.

The key is condition, condition, condition.  How much rust, mileage, bench or bucket interior etc , etc.

Give us a bit more information and if you can direct us to some pictures would be a help.

rob

• Like 1

Ive posted the link of the car, so the more experienced members can get a closer look at it. The ad says it came from GA in the US, maybe also someone here knows the car.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo-auto/SSE-AD-7460152/?Cr=0

Nath, I looked up the car you are considering.  It looks like a nice car.   If the price listed is Australian currency ut would be around $28,428 US dollar.  The car looks nice but an eyeball inspection would be the determining factor.  Look for evidence of possible rust under the vinyl roof around the rear window.  Evidence of rust/rust repair same area and fenders behind front wheels, rear wheel wells, trunk and floorboards.

rob

Welcome Nath!!!   She looks great from the pics!  As others state keep your eyes peeled for rust issues, they are always costly. Any questions you have don't be afraid to ask, plenty of the members would be willing to answer and help!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Nath,

First, welcome to FGMCC website.  We hope you like what you see here and if that is so, you will consider becoming a full fledged dues paying member.

Mark is right.  We would need more information on the car you are interested in.  

The majority of first gen Monte's had a turbo-hydromatic 350 or 400 transmission.  The 402 is considered a Big Block engine and more desireable than a 350 or 400 but not super rare.

The key is condition, condition, condition.  How much rust, mileage, bench or bucket interior etc , etc.

Give us a bit more information and if you can direct us to some pictures would be a help.

rob

Hi Rob, thanks for that. I spoke to the chap last night, and from what he can tell me, from his knowledge, the paint is original, it's a matching numbers car, with a few aftermarket bits replaced like a mild cam, headers etc, factory options were bucket seats, console, rear speakers in parcel shelf, power steer and windows. Vinyl roof may have been replaced, but current owner not quite sure. Alot of this was done before the current owner had it, and swears no rust is present. Interior is good and rubbers are fine, he has all the spec and options list and papers with the car, mileage is 80000km I think, but unsure if this is correct so would this make it desirable also? And for the asking price of $28k us dollars, would this be around the correct price range for this model and condition? 

The values on these cars have been on the rise. The question is could you build a car this nice for that kind of money. I would say no and it seems like a very nice car for the money. You could offer a bit less and see what happens. Good luck

34 minutes ago, Nath said:

Hi Rob, thanks for that. I spoke to the chap last night, and from what he can tell me, from his knowledge, the paint is original, it's a matching numbers car, with a few aftermarket bits replaced like a mild cam, headers etc, factory options were bucket seats, console, rear speakers in parcel shelf, power steer and windows. Vinyl roof may have been replaced, but current owner not quite sure. Alot of this was done before the current owner had it, and swears no rust is present. Interior is good and rubbers are fine, he has all the spec and options list and papers with the car, mileage is 80000km I think, but unsure if this is correct so would this make it desirable also? And for the asking price of $28k us dollars, would this be around the correct price range for this model and condition? 

80,000km would work out to just shy of 50,000 miles so it would be a low mileage car.  Without seeing the car it would be hard to say if the $28K USD would be right.  I would think for an unrestored car it may be a little bit high.  I am not sure what cars are selling for in Australia so it may be fair for your area.  I am assuming it is already in Australia so there would be no overseas shipping costs which I think would be very high.  You can always test the waters and give a lower offer on the car and see if they bite.

It looks like a very nice car and I am sure there are very few first gen Monte's in Australia.  You may have a better idea of what classic cars are selling for there.  Unfortunately we don't have any dues paying members in your area that I could hook you up with.  Keep us posted on what happens.  

rob

• Like 1

Welcome Nath!

What a beauty you’ve got your eye on.  Barring any rust issues as previously discussed, and first impressions from the pix in the listing, the asking price isn’t all that bad. She looks to have been very well cared for. You’re gonna be getting a thousand thumbs up every time your drive her. Best of luck with the purchase and keep us posted. 

• Like 2

Welcome Nath!

Well look at it this way for comparison,  a 1971 402 Chevelle optioned the same way would most likely start in the mid 30's in ok shape.

In 1971 there were  roughly 8633 402 Monte Carlos built. How many surviving today? 

How many first generation Monte Carlos have you seen where you live? If you want the same options as a Chevelle SS, better ride, class, style and uniqueness then you found it!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DragCat said:

Ive posted the link of the car, so the more experienced members can get a closer look at it. The ad says it came from GA in the US, maybe also someone here knows the car.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo-auto/SSE-AD-7460152/?Cr=0

Thanks for that DragCat, my phone wouldn't let me put up the advert so thankyou for doing that😊 and the info. I could as specified he is asking 45k which is around that 28k mark us$, and he has already dropped the price, so may just try my luck and see if he can drop another 5 and see what happens ha

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Welcome Nath!

Well look at it this way for comparison,  a 1971 402 Chevelle optioned the same way would most likely start in the mid 30's in ok shape.

In 1971 there were  roughly 8633 402 Monte Carlos built. How many surviving today? 

How many first generation Monte Carlos have you seen where you live? If you want the same options as a Chevelle SS, better ride, class, style and uniqueness then you found it!

Thanks mate, yes I have been doing quite a bit of research and found the production numbers, have enquired on a few Aussie chev clubs, and nobody really knows too much about them, but it's looking like there is quite a following for these in the US, and as another member mentioned, prices are increasing over there where you guys are, so that has to be a positive sign, just hasnt taken off over here yet

Forgot to mention… I see the seller has the Protect-O-Plate. Does he also have a build sheet? (should, as it is a Baltimore built car).

If so, and all those numbers check out, you’ve got that girls’ “birth certificates”. These documents will nicely increase her value providing the original motor, trans and axle are also still with the car.   

2 minutes ago, Glen said:

Forgot to mention… I see the seller has the Protect-O-Plate. Does he also have a build sheet? (should, as it is a Baltimore built car).

If so, and all those numbers check out, you’ve got that girls’ “birth certificates”. These documents will nicely increase her value providing the original motor, trans and axle are also still with the car.   

G'day Glen, yes the protect O plate is with the car, 12 bolt which I assume is the original what this model came with, and as he mentioned last night when I enquired, he did say something like he had a piece of paper that listed what options the car had, so would this be the 'build' sheet that you mention?

4 hours ago, Nath said:

G'day Glen, yes the protect O plate is with the car, 12 bolt which I assume is the original what this model came with, and as he mentioned last night when I enquired, he did say something like he had a piece of paper that listed what options the car had, so would this be the 'build' sheet that you mention?

Below is the link from this site that explains what a build sheet is. If you click on the resources link there is a ton of data info about our Monte's. 

As mentioned, since the car is in Australia you save a ton of cash on shipping. Also previously mentioned the values are going up, and you probably won't see another Monte on the road anytime soon. Since nobody has spotted anything obvious yet from the pictures I would say go look at it and drive it. The bottom line on value is as we say, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And remember with a 50 year old car, things are going to break 🤣 luckily for you this site has lots of members with experience and knowledge that are more than willing to help you through those times. 

(edited) Also check in with others that have old chevy's in your area. Where do they get their replacement parts, shipping from the states can get a little pricey.

Good Luck 

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/buildsheet/

That's awesome DragCat, thanks so much for that info, very comprehensive indeed. I spoke to the seller again and he said that there is an original build sheet for the car, and apparently has spring marks on it, which sounds genuine, as the article mentions most sheets were found under seats, so that's definately a very important piece to have. The car is located in another state, so in order for me to look at it, it's a 28 hour drive, or a 3 hour plane trip, but very tempted. Yes I have enquired on a few local Chevy clubs, not a great deal on info from the members about specifically montes, but they said they do know of people and places which are able to source some chev parts over here in Oz. Thanks again DragCat, your advice has been awesome👍👍

Wow, a 29 hour drive or 3 hour plane trip from you.  It is funny, I never pictured Australia being that large.  I know it is large but I didn't know it was that large.  To me it sounds like you are on your way to owning a very nice first generation Monte Carlo.  Here in the states we often post how we were either the only first gen Monte at a car show/cruise or one of 2 or 3 but in your case it is pretty much a guarantee you WILL be the only one.

With summer coming in your area this may be a good time to pull the trigger on it.

rob

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Wow, a 29 hour drive or 3 hour plane trip from you.  It is funny, I never pictured Australia being that large.  I know it is large but I didn't know it was that large.  To me it sounds like you are on your way to owning a very nice first generation Monte Carlo.  Here in the states we often post how we were either the only first gen Monte at a car show/cruise or one of 2 or 3 but in your case it is pretty much a guarantee you WILL be the only one.

With summer coming in your area this may be a good time to pull the trigger on it.

rob

Ha, thanks Rob, yeh it's a little bigger than people think over here, very open, takes a while to get from one side of the island to the other 🤣, but I see what you mean about being the only people at some car shows with 1st gen montes, so I'm guessing they are getting scarce over there also? Your right, summer is approaching, and a cruise car would be nice!! Looking at booking in a vehicle insp first and play it by ear...

6 hours ago, Nath said:

Yes sir, that’d be it. Like others have said, you’ll find all the help and education you could ever ask for on this site.  Good luck!

Based on all the posts on the forum, my bet is your this close to buying the car. I wish you all the best. Now if you’re SERIOUS about the car skip the plane ride. The owner will be more apt to drop the price if you make an appointment and show up. Bring the dollar amount of his asking price but leave some in your vehicle in case you need to take a walk and think about it. And please bring some muscle with you just in case it’s a shady area. Don’t go alone with that kind of money. I do realize it’s a long drive but you going to have to do it at some point anyway. Good luck and keep us posted.