Aussie Monte carlo

Nath

3 hours ago, Dtret said:

Based on all the posts on the forum, my bet is your this close to buying the car. I wish you all the best. Now if you’re SERIOUS about the car skip the plane ride. 

I'll disagree with Dennis on this one 🤣 The owner says "numbers matching" (and no I didnt go back and look through all the pictures posted) are there pictures of the casting numbers (block/trans/ect) ? I don't want to be a Debbie downer but unless you get eyes on it pictures can hide a lot. Visit the resources page (link below) and get all the data/info you can. Yes a plane ticket adds to your cost, and yes there are honest people selling cars, but with my money I want eyes on it and be driven. Stupid little things like the gas gauge doesn't work can add to your money and time spent. As mentioned, rust is your biggest enemy and extremely expensive, 

Theres probably nothing you run into that the members here can't help you through, but knowing up front eases the pain lol 

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/resourcespage/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

I'll disagree with Dennis on this one 🤣 The owner says "numbers matching" (and no I didnt go back and look through all the pictures posted) are there pictures of the casting numbers (block/trans/ect) ? I don't want to be a Debbie downer but unless you get eyes on it pictures can hide a lot. Visit the resources page (link below) and get all the data/info you can. Yes a plane ticket adds to your cost, and yes there are honest people selling cars, but with my money I want eyes on it and be driven. Stupid little things like the gas gauge doesn't work can add to your money and time spent. As mentioned, rust is your biggest enemy and extremely expensive, 

Theres probably nothing you run into that the members here can't help you through, but knowing up front eases the pain lol 

I don’t disagree with anything you posted. But I will say if you fly out and look at the car and want it , now you have to fly home and drive back out. Eliminate the flying. Either way the car has to be looked at by the potential buyer. I understand it’s a long drive to look at a car but you can still say no. But if you want it you leave with it. It also eliminates the possibility of it being sold from under you or certain parts being taken off the car. Just my opinion. I want to see it, feel it, hear it and drive it. And if I like it, buy it. Or walk away and say thanks for showing me the car. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

Very valid point there DragCat, I do want to see, feel, hear it, but at the same time, unable to just drop plans and fly over, as I work full time, mainly 6 days a week and share care my 5 year old boy. That resource page you sent me is amazing, what a wealth of information, awesome!! I must admit, everyone on here has been super helpful so far and I am very appreciative of this 👍. That's why I am going to arrange a pre purchase inspection first, to check for rust, mechanical, matching numbers etc first, before I take the next step

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I don’t disagree with anything you posted. But I will say if you fly out and look at the car and want it , now you have to fly home and drive back out. Eliminate the flying. Either way the car has to be looked at by the potential buyer. I understand it’s a long drive to look at a car but you can still say no. But if you want it you leave with it. It also eliminates the possibility of it being sold from under you or certain parts being taken off the car. Just my opinion. I want to see it, feel it, hear it and drive it. And if I like it, buy it. Or walk away and say thanks for showing me the car. 

Also a very valid point there too Dtret. Yes there is lots of things to consider, and yes, most people are genuine, but there are a select few which are not, and it's always a risk. If I had the time, I would definately make a week long trip of driving to see it, taking my father, and if I like it, driving it back, but unfortunately I do not, hence if purchased will be transported across by enclosed carrier, and just hope the owner comes to the party with honesty

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nath said:

Also a very valid point there too Dtret. Yes there is lots of things to consider, and yes, most people are genuine, but there are a select few which are not, and it's always a risk. If I had the time, I would definately make a week long trip of driving to see it, taking my father, and if I like it, driving it back, but unfortunately I do not, hence if purchased will be transported across by enclosed carrier, and just hope the owner comes to the party with honesty

Nath,

I did exactly this when I bought my ‘70 SS. Couldn’t take the time off of work to turn it into a weeklong process had I decided to buy it (car was in California, I’m in Chicago… 2,100+ miles). 

Instead, I paid a highly rated inspection service which confirmed everything was as listed and on the up and up. Inspected, 250+ photos of every square inch of the car taken and appraised to arm me with enough info to negotiate without seeing the car in person. 

Agreed on a price, even working out an allowance for the enclosed transport to get her home. Worst case scenario would’ve been eating the inspection fee had the car been discovered to be bogus… a small price to pay rather than buying her based on seller-provided pictures only to have her arrive and not be what I though I purchased.

As for my subsequent purchase?  I did the exact opposite. Bought the ‘71 SS after she was listed here by a fellow member. Pictures, FGMCC reputation and an initial phone conversation of over an hour with the seller and I knew it was legit and as represented/described. No need to have an independent party authenticate as the word of an (honest) man is his bond.  She arrived just as she was described. 

You’re doing it the right way, especially with such a big purchase. And when your inspector gives you the green light, you can always wire the seller a small deposit as a good faith gesture with the understanding (and a written record!) that the car will arrive - exactly as shown, equipped and represented once the deal is finalized and the vehicle is shipped.

With both of my purchases, I created a bill of sale which listed every extra part/accessory/document or item of provenance that was to be included in the sale:  Build sheet, Protect-O-Plate, receipts, prior registrations, original parts kept after upgrading, etc. A legit seller will have no qualms about signing-off on such a document to facilitate getting his payment. 

Again, good luck and let us all know how it works out for you. 

• Like 4

Nath,

PS - if the car checks out after being inspected, try to negotiate all or a good portion of the inspection fee off the asking price.  Same with the transportation fee. All the seller can say is “no“, but you have to throw the hook in the water to catch a fish. 

• Like 2

Nath,

Last musing, I promise!  Here’s a portion of the bill of sale I drafted for the ‘70.  Just a generic description of what I wanted to document what was promised/negotiated work the sale:

“Seller to include with the purchase of this vehicle assorted original parts including: intake manifold, carburetor, ignition distributor/cap, bumper guards and factory FM radio.

Seller also to include relevant documentation associated with the vehicle, including: receipts & invoices for work done to the vehicle, handwritten notes/bill(s) of sale, build sheet, "Protecto Plate", owner's manual and previous owner registration documents.”

Well there ya go, as we say there's more than one way to skin a cat 🤣 I understand your predicament Nath, you can only do what ya can. Ive paid for an inspection in the past (that's why I mentioned things missed like the fuel gauge not working 🤣) and the resource page will help you help them on where and what to look for. 

When I joined this forum I knew nothing about Monte's, and as you can see the members here are more than willing to share their knowledge and experience. I hope it all works out for you, and you and your son can enjoy many memories with the car. Keep us posted 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Glen said:

Nath,

Last musing, I promise!  Here’s a portion of the bill of sale I drafted for the ‘70.  Just a generic description of what I wanted to document what was promised/negotiated work the sale:

“Seller to include with the purchase of this vehicle assorted original parts including: intake manifold, carburetor, ignition distributor/cap, bumper guards and factory FM radio.

Seller also to include relevant documentation associated with the vehicle, including: receipts & invoices for work done to the vehicle, handwritten notes/bill(s) of sale, build sheet, "Protecto Plate", owner's manual and previous owner registration documents.”

Hi Glen, thankyou for that, your bill of sale sure has given me some guidelines if I decide on the purchase. I'm glad both your buying methods worked out well, and by well I have to say both a 70 and 71 ss wow, they must look pretty good side by side👍. All the forum members have been such a great help as I knew nothing about 1st gen montes, but I keep finding myself researching them every spare minute I have, and really are starting to grow on me haha

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nath said:

Hi Glen, thankyou for that, your bill of sale sure has given me some guidelines if I decide on the purchase. I'm glad both your buying methods worked out well, and by well I have to say both a 70 and 71 ss wow, they must look pretty good side by side👍. All the forum members have been such a great help as I knew nothing about 1st gen montes, but I keep finding myself researching them every spare minute I have, and really are starting to grow on me haha

You’re welcome, bud.  And what’s funny is I didn’t manage to get them out together to a show or cruise-in this past summer. I tried to alternate cars, but found myself in the ‘71 more often as the ‘70 was in the trim shop for a new interior for a while.  Was this/close once, but the better half got stuck at work late and it was too last minute to recruit a friend to drive one of them to the show.  For now, this is pretty much the extent of their simultaneous appearance…

1EBED1E9-9619-426F-BB20-0AE5EDF6BBCA.png

21921889-EBF6-4578-8E24-178E564CCD97.png

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Glen said:

You’re welcome, bud.  And what’s funny is I didn’t manage to get them out together to a show or cruise-in this past summer. I tried to alternate cars, but found myself in the ‘71 more often as the ‘70 was in the trim shop for a new interior for a while.  Was this/close once, but the better half got stuck at work late and it was too last minute to recruit a friend to drive one of them to the show.  For now, this is pretty much the extent of their simultaneous appearance…

1EBED1E9-9619-426F-BB20-0AE5EDF6BBCA.png

21921889-EBF6-4578-8E24-178E564CCD97.png

Fantastic stuff!!! Love that green👍

G'day group, hope everyone has been well. Quick update, booked a vehicle inspection for this Friday. I asked the owner to send me some original docs that came with the car, and here they are. By the list, it sounds like it's quite optioned. Don't know to much about these build sheet info or codes, what's most important is I want to make sure that the motor in the car at the moment is the original one, and matches the numbers on the build sheet. Although it's a bit hard to read, does anyone know exactly where the engine number would be located on the build sheet or on the engine in the car? Thanks gang☺️

• Like 1

Hey Nathan as Mark pointed out your engine will be stamped on the right side of the car in front of the head between the alt and the head itself on a pad extending out from the block.   

On the top right of your B/S (1385716?????) is your vin, even though i cant make out the rest of your number it is stated on the other paper work (car invoice).  Your Vin is 138571B169344. So on your engine and tranny there should be a stamp of 169344. 

If i am wrong someone else hopefully will chime in, but i think that is correct.

• Like 1

You last six of the vin are in the top row about the middle box. Yes the vin does match the build sheet. I hope the engine and transmission do also. The transmission should be stamped on the driver’s side just above the pan in in the middle by the shift linkage n

• Like 1

Things are lookin’ quite nice there, Nath! Build Sheet AND bill of sale… NICE!!  The build sheet for my ‘71 is in the safe deposit box, so I don’t have it accessible to compare it to yours. However, boxes 55 and 56 are peculiar 🤔

15FB602D-65F2-4CD7-868E-7E606C1D6021.png

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Glen said:

Things are lookin’ quite nice there, Nath! Build Sheet AND bill of sale… NICE!!  The build sheet for my ‘71 is in the safe deposit box, so I don’t have it accessible to compare it to yours. However, boxes 55 and 56 are peculiar 🤔

15FB602D-65F2-4CD7-868E-7E606C1D6021.png

Thanks Glen!! So these forms are very precious by the sounds of it, if you keep yours in a safe 😲!! Yeh, now you point that out, those boxes do look a little odd, ha. I wonder if one of the workers were trying to have a laugh!!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nath said:

Thanks Glen!! So these forms are very precious by the sounds of it, if you keep yours in a safe 😲!! Yeh, now you point that out, those boxes do look a little odd, ha. I wonder if one of the workers were trying to have a laugh!!!

For lack of a better comparison, these things are your (soon to be 🤞) Montes birth certificate. 

Heres to hoping the inspection checks all the right boxes and things are as represented by the seller🥃. Keep us posted. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nath said:

Yea the build sheets are rare, and the sales invoice also a nice touch of your soon to be Monte. I have neither ☹️

3 hours ago, Glen said:

For lack of a better comparison, these things are your (soon to be 🤞) Montes birth certificate. 

Heres to hoping the inspection checks all the right boxes and things are as represented by the seller🥃. Keep us posted. 

Thanks Glen, will do💪

16 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Yea the build sheets are rare, and the sales invoice also a nice touch of your soon to be Monte. I have neither ☹️

Ha, well here's hoping bud, thanks!! Sorry to hear you don't have either, have you tried to track them down, I suppose you have?

2 hours ago, Nath said:

Ha, well here's hoping bud, thanks!! Sorry to hear you don't have either, have you tried to track them down, I suppose you have?

No I haven't, being that I'm not a concours/stock/original guy it wasn't that important. Not that it wouldn't have been nice to have. My main focus, was numbers matching and such. Much like my blue oval car (which I have the opportunity to get such a thing with a Marti report) I wasn't concerned about the things like color, trim, and such. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DragCat said:

No I haven't, being that I'm not a concours/stock/original guy it wasn't that important. Not that it wouldn't have been nice to have. My main focus, was numbers matching and such. Much like my blue oval car (which I have the opportunity to get such a thing with a Marti report) I wasn't concerned about the things like color, trim, and such. 

Mark, Not to highjack this thread, and I know this is a Monte Carlo forum, but I would love to see pictures of this blue oval car you speak of. I’ve been curious for a while now.

• Like 2