original part number

sendo

I tried to look at the GM Heritage Center documents, but they're no longer available online apparently.

They used to have all sorts of information, specs, part numbers, etc. Maybe someone here may have saved a copy of the .pdf document for a 1970 and can post the attachment here. Then we can go thru it and see what part number it says was used.

This was the old link, but now it just re-directs to some generic GM page:

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Monte-Carlo/1970-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo.pdf

• Like 1

I'm going to call there tomorrow, to see what's the deal. I'll try to get packages for the 70-72 Montes from them if possible. After that, I'll put them in a link so we can all have access to the info.

• Like 5

So, out of curiosity, I seemed to remember the factory service manuals had specs in the back of the book for a lot of stuff. I looked in my '72 manual and found the page below. It lists the starter part number, engines, specs, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the 70 manual. If someone here has one, they may be able to give it a quick look and see what it shows.

I've been meaning to get a 70 & 71 manual, just hasn't happened yet. The 'new' ones they offer online are crappy reproductions that are barely readable, so that's out. Tried it once, sent it back to Amazon.

20221023_180137.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dtret said:

Am I missing something? Both pages of the original post show the starting motor asm 1108413 (8). 

that page is for the 396 and 400 cu

I'm looking for 454 cu, but like I said I don't know if I am reading these books right

I ordered the 70, 71, & 72 CD's with the service manual, Fisher body, and Assembly Manuals the other night. As soon as they get here, I'll look in the 1970 Service manual to see what it says. I have all the 72 manuals in paperback, but figured if I have them in digital format, it'll be easier to post pages here when needed.

I called GM Archives too, but all I got was voice mail, left a message, and have not received any response yet.

• Like 1

For the LS5 engine the starter is non-illustrated and says assembles the same as the L34. Doesn't mean the part number is the same though. A quick check of GMpartswiki shows the production number to be 1108430 and the service part number to be 1108429. Lots of information in the assembly manual but part numbers are sometimes not in them. Digging a bit deeper into the M40 assembly section once again we find it is non-illustrated assembles same as production see BOM or parts list. So the L34 illustration shows the part number for a standard trans no the TH400.

image.png.cd260e31d203e66ab500285574600219.png

rotin

• Like 2

I spoke with someone at GM this morning. Apparently GM is 'rebranding' their archives she said, unfortunately they took down all the info before doing it correctly. She suggested I email them with a request for the 3 years I want, which I just did. If/when they arrive, I'll post.

The parts manuals may just be 'service' replacements, not the actual part number people are sometimes looking for in a restoration.

• Like 3

Another member just messaged me in the background with the info below. It corresponds with the same info that's in the '72 GM Service Manual, and the same info that 'rotinbob' found. Seems like 1108430 may be the correct starter for the 454 engine. As mentioned above, when I get the 70 service manual, I'll look.

Hi Joe, I found the GM Monte Carlo Heritage starter numbers as being 1108338 for 350 with auto trans and 1108430 for 400 & 454 motors. I also found this link online which also helps with date codes;

http://chevellestuff.net/qd/starter_numbers.htm

I did not want to post this info because I see there are already conflicting numbers, so I will leave it to you for your review.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Same numbers as the text I sent you Joe. 

Yes, same page as the other member sent me last night. (his picture is a little better 🤣)

In 1972, looks like they used that better starter (1108430) for all the Monte engines, small & big block. I'll check '71 when the new info gets here, curious now. They are different depending if it was auto or manual transmissions though.

Below picture is from 1970 Service manual: 

1970 starters.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Watch ebay. Also remember you want a date coded big block starter from ANY big block chevy. ie, Camaro, Chevelle, Impala, Caprice, el camino, Kingswood wagon etc. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

over a year later I find one that is dated Sept 1969 which is the same month my car was built so its too late, believe i need it two months ahead July 1969. But waiting so long I figure close enough and bought it. Plus it was professionally rebuilt by Chargers Auto Electric

one week later the right one pops up, now I got a starter for sale

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

You never know????

Dionne Warwick may have been stamping the starters  that day! 😂

And for just a small fee, she too can predict your future 😂 ps. She already knew we would all end up with MONTES !!! 

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2023 at 2:14 PM, overdrive said:

My original starter for my '71 is dated about 3 weeks before the car was assembled. Dated 2 months ahead of assembly isn't common. 

Dan

who really know what is common, the more I try to read about it the more I get confused.

I read that the engine has a built date and then the other parts are put on carb, dist, starter etc.

so those parts are obviously made before the engine date, make sense

my car has a build date of sept. 15 1969, engine date sept 04 1969 and a distributor july 28 1969

7 hours ago, sendo said:

who really know what is common, the more I try to read about it the more I get confused.

I read that the engine has a built date and then the other parts are put on carb, dist, starter etc.

so those parts are obviously made before the engine date, make sense

my car has a build date of sept. 15 1969, engine date sept 04 1969 and a distributor july 28 1969

You are correct. Generally you won’t go over 4 months before car build date. Up to three is usually pretty good. 4 is kinda pushing it.