No dash lights

Wondering if anyone might be able to help me with my 1971 Monte.   I do not have any dash or dome lights.   My exterior lights all work.   When I start the car my generator and temperature lights, light up.   A friend of mine thinks it is the relay in my head light switch?   Anyone have this issue or know how to fix it.

Thanks Rob Drew   (robdrew@huxcomm.net)

2 hours ago, cbolt said:

Start with the fuses before you go ripping in to anything. A quick check with a test light will show you if a fuse is bad. 

I did do that already and fuses are good.   Thanks!  I forgot to include that.

Pull the headlight knob all the way out, so all lights are on. Then turn the knob dim to bright many times. See if the dash lights flicker at all. If they do it's the headlight switch rheostat.  Common problem. 

What has changed from the day it was built?

I read one time, the headlight switch, if replaced, could be missing a terminal.

Here is a picture of my 71 OEM switch. 404655906_IMG_0375(2014_10_2613_24_16UTC).thumb.JPG.f45cef92357a54215399c87d8872c3c9.JPGI believe it needs 7 terminals to function and some replacements only have 6.

I replaced my switch with a "genuine" gm part and my gauges and my heater lights went out. After pulling out what was left of my hair I discovered what stangeba said. The replacment switch was missing a terminal. When a new problem crops up always look at the last thing that was touched.

I think my next step would be to pop the dash pad off and do a quick visual inspection of the printed circuit and area around the headlight switch with an inspection mirror. Hey, you likely need to pop the pad off anyway if you are replacing the H/L switch, so a visual inspection may reveal the condition of your printed circuit, or a portion of it anyway. I guess if you have dash speakers you may not be able to see much, however with an inspection mirror you should be able to get a glimpse of the area. 

Being as the H/L switch is the most likely culprit I think I would plan to remove it. Bear in mind I have seen a fair share of bad printed circuits in our cars. Broken runs, peeling laminate, crossed runs, etc. 

Thanks to everyone who responded.   I will look at all of these thoughts and I appreciate the pic. This is probably going to be a winter project when it is snowing out.

Thanks again and I will keep everyone up to date.

Rob Drew