Has anyone purchased a mail order exhaust system for their Monte Carlo?

I was poking around and summit has several do it yourself exhaust systems for the Monte Carlo. Has anyone tried one with good results? I’m not too thrilled with the exhaust shops in my area. 
thanks!

I used a Flowmaster setup for my 72. It was a crossmember back set, without mufflers. They offer the same setup with mufflers, but I didn't want those.

Here's what I used, with series 44 mufflers I got separate, plus I used factory type hangers instead:

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/builder_components/direct_fit_pipe_kits/header-back_pipe/parts/17107

With series 40 mufflers included:

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/exhaust_systems/flowmaster/american_thunder/parts/17119

• Like 1

I prefer to get a good shop I trust to custom bend a system for me. I’m fortunate to have a shop nearby who does nice custom work at a reasonable cost.

• Like 2

Yes, Steve, I ordered and installed the 2 1/2" Summit DIY header-back kit for the first gen Monte and have been mostly pleased with it. I do find the turbo mufflers to be a bit loud but you may love it if that's your thing. It is a more mellow/throaty sound, not sharp or crackly (which I can't stand). Unfortunately, I did not have a lift available to me then (I do now) so I did it on my back on the garage floor, which I do not recommend BTW.  

Installation would have been a breeze if I could have connected to full-length, straight back headers but the only ceramic coated headers I could find to fit my big block 4-speed (the Z-bar interferes with #7 tube) were the Patriot shortys with 45 degree collectors.  I probably spent twice as much time fitting/fabricating the adapters as the rest of the installation.

All of the sections have ample length to adjust the fit as you like.  The hangers are robust and sufficient for a sturdy installation.  I'll included a few pics and one video (so you can hear the turbo mufflers) below but let me know if you have any specific questions.  Summit's DIY kits are real price performers if you are not looking for anything exotic.  Good luck.

PS. The photos seem to always post in reverse order on this site so starting at the bottom will make more sense.  Also, you'll probably first need to download the video to play it.

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5536.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

• Like 6

I'm just going to order the Flowmaster 2.5 tail pipes and figure out which mufflers I'm going to use and use the stock hangers then have the pipes from the headers to mufflers built locally,  they aren't to difficult to build. Tail pipes are around $180.00

Screenshot_20221026-170545_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MCfan said:

Yes, Steve, I ordered and installed the 2 1/2" Summit DIY header-back kit for the first gen Monte and have been mostly pleased with it. I do find the turbo mufflers to be a bit loud but you may love it if that's your thing. It is a more mellow/throaty sound, not sharp or crackly (which I can't stand). Unfortunately, I did not have a lift available to me then (I do now) so I did it on my back on the garage floor, which I do not recommend BTW.  

Installation would have been a breeze if I could have connected to full-length, straight back headers but the only ceramic coated headers I could find to fit my big block 4-speed (the Z-bar interferes with #7 tube) were the Patriot shortys with 45 degree collectors.  I probably spent twice as much time fitting/fabricating the adapters as the rest of the installation.

All of the sections have ample length to adjust the fit as you like.  The hangers are robust and sufficient for a sturdy installation.  I'll included a few pics and one video (so you can hear the turbo mufflers) below but let me know if you have any specific questions.  Summit's DIY kits are real price performers if you are not looking for anything exotic.  Good luck.

PS. The photos seem to always post in reverse order on this site so starting at the bottom will make more sense.  Also, you'll probably first need to download the video to play it.

Not for nothing Dennis you (and a few other members here) do some great photo documentation on your projects. I remember your original post with the LED tail lights kit. 

Someone a while back had asked about the ARH system, I don't recall if they eventually went that route. Yea they are pricey but I know a few of us here have used their headers on our Montes and I for one and very pleased with them. I luckily just kept the exhaust system that was in place. 

I'd prefer a good exhaust/muffler shop but not everyone has access to a local shop. So I'm just throwing this out there 

https://americanracingheaders.com/collections/classic-gm/products/chevy-a-body-1964-1972-header-back

I have the last kit ever sold from a now defunct company, Torque Tech. It's a 3 1/2 into x-pipe to 3" tailpipes mandrel bends with ultra flo mufflers on "Big Red"

Also have the flow master kit installed on "Barn Find" and the "COVID" Monte. 

Barn Find is 2 1/2" mandrel bent with matching ultraflo mufflers with head pipes from Pypes to use the factory exhaust manifolds and the COVID Monte has the same system with the kit supplied flow master mufflers to headers. Both systems were off parts cars we purchased and kept the systems "in stock". 

My son's 69 GTO 4 speed convertible has the summit 2 1/2" turbo kit going to ram air exhaust manifolds. Like others said, the mufflers are a little loud. Since the initial install and disappointment with the mufflers we have since installed an x-pipe and ultraflo mufflers to it also. 

It all depends on the sound you are looking for. Headers, no headers, mellow or aggressive sound, stock size pipes up to 3", tailpipes, no tailpipes, x-pipe or not. Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCfan said:

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5536.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

Did you weld it all up or stick with the clamps?  That sounds perfect to me. My motor is a stock 402  so I don’t expect it to sound as mean as yours. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

Did you weld it all up or stick with the clamps?  That sounds perfect to me. My motor is a stock 402  so I don’t expect it to sound as mean as yours. Thank you!

Steve, I used the clamps Summit provided in the kit except that I had to weld the 45 degree adapters onto the head pipes (which I did off the car, of course).  If I had kept my old straight-back, full-length headers (badly rusted and heavily "massaged"), I would have avoided welding all together.  I am barely a novice at MIG welding, especially thin material, so it was challenging. However, if you are handy at welding and have access to a lift, I'm sure welded joints are a better way to go.

I did learn the importance of tight clamps when the driver's side tail pipe twisted in the hanger clamp behind that muffler, allowing the tailpipe to sag a bit just behind the axle.  Nothing was damaged, just looked weird. Easy fix to reposition and retighten - more.

PS. I uploaded the pics in reverse order so they should view in the correct order.

IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

IMG_5549.JPG

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MCfan said:

Steve, I used the clamps Summit provided in the kit except that I had to weld the 45 degree adapters onto the head pipes (which I did off the car, of course).  If I had kept my old straight-back, full-length headers (badly rusted and heavily "massaged"), I would have avoided welding all together.  I am barely a novice at MIG welding, especially thin material, so it was challenging. However, if you are handy at welding and have access to a lift, I'm sure welded joints are a better way to go.

I did learn the importance of tight clamps when the driver's side tail pipe twisted in the hanger clamp behind that muffler, allowing the tailpipe to sag a bit just behind the axle.  Nothing was damaged, just looked weird. Easy fix to reposition and retighten - more.

PS. I uploaded the pics in reverse order so they should view in the correct order.

IMG_5473.JPG

IMG_5542.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG

IMG_5551.JPG

IMG_5549.JPG

Wow do those rusty old headers have 4 bolt collectors? I have not seen that in a very long time. My falcon had them in 4”, used some sort of industrial gasket.  Thanks for the info. I’m going to go with this kit. Hopefully it has not changed much.

• Like 1

I purchased a complete stainless steel exhaust 2.5 inch system, mufflers with hangars and stainless clamps from Pypes. No H or X pipe added, straight dual exhaust from manifolds back to the cowbell exhaust tips. I had a shop install it as I did not have access to a lift. It’s been on my Monte SS 14 years now and still looks like the day it was installed. I get many complements on how nice it looks and sounds. 

• Like 2

I'm running the Pypes 2.5" Race Pro system without any crossover pipe. I had to add a bit of pipe between the system and the long tube headers, while also adding a cone reducer because my collectors don't have a flange. I replaced a lot of the U-bolts with band connectors. It's not too loud, and it avoided the hollow sound that LS engines get with aftermarket exhaust.

Nice and clean!  So how many hours did your painter spend polishing that driveshaft?? Haha sorry... but that is a very shiny driveshaft. Thank you for the info. I went with the summit DIY kit MCfan posted.

On 10/26/2022 at 1:33 PM, MCfan said:

IMG_5554.JPG

IMG_5553.JPG

IMG_5559.JPG

IMG_5536.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

My giant box came in today!!! Half opened with lots missing..... summit has been a great company to deal with... now I get to experience their customer service.  But I am very happy with what I do have.. hahaha

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Steve G said:

My giant box came in today!!! Half opened with lots missing..... summit has been a great company to deal with... now I get to experience their customer service.  But I am very happy with what I do have.. hahaha

That's a real bummer, Steve!  It is rare indeed to receive a package of almost any size that has not been damaged or destroyed by the shipper!  I've had bad experiences with all three, FedEx, UPS and USPS.  They drop severely damaged packages on your doorstep and leave as quickly and quietly as they can.  The delivery drivers don't want to be accountable for the careless handling by their gorilla transit guys.  And, I'm sure the delivery drivers cause some of the damage themselves, also.

Unfortunately, manufacturers are partly to blame also, because they have not improved their packaging to withstand the rigors of modern day shipping and handling.  I hope Summit comes through for you with all the missing parts or an entirely new shipment that is whole.  Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCfan said:

That's a real bummer, Steve!  It is rare indeed to receive a package of almost any size that has not been damaged or destroyed by the shipper!  I've had bad experiences with all three, FedEx, UPS and USPS.  They drop severely damaged packages on your doorstep and leave as quickly and quietly as they can.  The delivery drivers don't want to be accountable for the careless handling by their gorilla transit guys.  And, I'm sure the delivery drivers cause some of the damage themselves, also.

Unfortunately, manufacturers are partly to blame also, because they have not improved their packaging to withstand the rigors of modern day shipping and handling.  I hope Summit comes through for you with all the missing parts or an entirely new shipment that is whole.  Good luck!

We will see... my biggest fear is they will require me to send it back... I won’t spend the time nor money to do that . I will just move on to another company. No big deal since I have lots of other stuff to keep me amused. Tomorrow I’m cleaning up my rear axle, shiny black with stainless brake lines and a chrome diff cover to let everyone know I’m stuck in the past.