Summit rear disc kit

2 hours ago, cbolt said:

I used a kit by The Right Stuff, which is also available from Summit. Are you going to use the Summit kit? 

I’m not sure yet. Every brake upgrade I have done used OEM components. I’m just concerned about issues and overall function. I worked in a street rod shop for a few years that did a lot of willwood kits and none of the cars stopped good after they were done. I know the majority of the problems had to be installer error.  I just finished the front brake setup on my commuter KIA 2022 Forte GT using all OEM parts and it works perfect. 2022 Hyundai Sonata calipers, Veloster N 13.6” rotors and Kia k5 brake lines.  3C2780A1-BAF3-435C-90B6-75D4184C74FA.thumb.jpeg.292084f3d70f27e95dd0a1629250ac98.jpeg

The problem I ran into with the kit was the flange on the axle housing was slightly bent from my car being in a drivers side collision at some point in its life. When I installed the caliper bracket on that side the flange being bent prevented the caliper from running true on the disc. I had to cut and reweld the flange to make it all square. Truth be told the car has never stopped as well as it should have after installing the kit but i suspect the issue is in the master cylinder, perhaps the rod being improperly adjusted. I have plans to look into that before this years EM but I have been dealing with it since 2016. It stops okay, but not like a 4 wheel disc car should

On my car (monte) I upgraded to drilled and slotted rotors and carbon fiber ceramic pads on the front with stock new calipers. Rear is still OE drum brakes they work fine no problems.  On my 2500 truck I tow a 7000 pound trailer I went with drilled and slotted all the way around they work better than OE for sure.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cbolt said:

The problem I ran into with the kit was the flange on the axle housing was slightly bent from my car being in a drivers side collision at some point in its life. When I installed the caliper bracket on that side the flange being bent prevented the caliper from running true on the disc. I had to cut and reweld the flange to make it all square. Truth be told the car has never stopped as well as it should have after installing the kit but i suspect the issue is in the master cylinder, perhaps the rod being improperly adjusted. I have plans to look into that before this years EM but I have been dealing with it since 2016. It stops okay, but not like a 4 wheel disc car should

Ok this just did it for me! Stock drums it is!! I just had flashbacks to the street rod shop days... blaming the master cylinder and the rod needing adjustment.. heard that a thousand times...  I hope it all works out for you but I need to keep my sanity... ya just saved me some money! Thank you!

I used Baer rear disc kit, as well as fronts. Stops good for me. Also used a 1 inch bore master cylinder and Leeds vacuum pump due to engine vacuum being on the low side.