Possibly new member that needs guidance on purchase

Gnfanatic

Hello everyone, I am happy to find this forum. I am in talks of purchasing a 1970 Monte carlo that looks incredible but not sure if the asking price is to much for what it is. Your opinions are greatly appreciated, it will be my first Monte.

2 owner vehicle with all original steel, painted 10 years ago I believe

502 BBC (Gen 6) with ported Brodix heads, manley rod's and hydraulic roller cam (636HP to the flywheel on pump gas)

completely restored interior with GM fabric several years ago.

Custom made SS headers and exhaust

Built Ford AOD with 2700 stall billet converter

Gm 12 boltĀ 

Beautiful car, I will be putting it on a lift this Monday to go over everything.

Would you pay $47,500 for it??

Comes with orig hood, engine and trans.

502.jpg

exterior.jpg

exterior1.jpg

interior.jpg

interior1.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome Ralph.

Nice looking Monte. Clean looking.Ā  Is the original hood painted? The Mopar scoop, in my opinion does not fit the look of the Monte.Ā 

What gears in the 12 bolt? Ford AOD? šŸ¤”

What size is the original engine/trans? 350/350? What is the condition of both? Rebuilt?Ā 

If you add up all that was done to the car, most likely more than the asking price. If the bottom is anywhere as nice as the top, you found a nice solid car to possibly purchase.Ā 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MC1of80 said:

Welcome Ralph.

Nice looking Monte. Clean looking.Ā  Is the original hood painted? The Mopar scoop, in my opinion does not fit the look of the Monte.Ā 

What gears in the 12 bolt? Ford AOD? šŸ¤”

What size is the original engine/trans? 350/350? What is the condition of both? Rebuilt?Ā 

If you add up all that was done to the car, most likely more than the asking price. If the bottom is anywhere as nice as the top, you found a nice solid car to possibly purchase.Ā 

Hi Thomas, you think they would have installed a 4L80E :)Ā  I do not know about the orig motor/trans, I will find out monday. The hood is same color. Not sure about the gears either, it is 100% streetable and I will find out.Ā 

I agree with Tom, I am sure the owner has more into it than that but you can never get out of them what you put into them but many people will try.Ā  It mostly depends on what you are looking for if that is an acceptable asking price.Ā  Also,Ā  what the undercarriage looks like and also if it has had a lot of rust repair.Ā  I personally would not pay that much for it if it is not streetable.Ā  I like to drive them, not just look at them on a show field....Ā  Ā 

You could never build it for that price and that is a consideration.Ā  I would definitely try to get him down on the price because at this time of the year I would consider it a buyers market.Ā  The reason I say that is there is not many more days it will be ableĀ  to be driven with winter coming, that combined with this is the time of year people start thinking..."Do I want to store it for the winter or go ahead and sell it.Ā  If they have decided they don't want to store it for the winter they are more likely to come down in price on it.

Is it a good price????Ā  That is hard to answer not being able to see it in person but I have always looked at a deal as a good deal if both the seller and buyer are both happy with the deal.

robĀ 

• Like 3

I like the hotrod side quite a bit ,Ā  However it has the price tag of an original SS454 .Ā 

If I was interested, my offer would be close to $35,000 .Ā  With that said, Everyone feels their vehicle is special and should be worth more than most !!Ā  it's worth every bit that you feel comfortable payingĀ 

• Like 3

Welcome to the madnessĀ šŸ¤£Ā My default answer to is it worth it (both selling and buying) is its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Already some good moments so I'll try not to repeat them.

The car may be "streatable" as is, but seems like it was meant to go fast quick not cruise to the local hot spot cruise in. I'm going to bet that crate motor needs to run on premium gas, I paid $4.71 this am for my daily driver. Also guesstimate the engine itself Ā is worth around 15k if not more. Just saying.Ā 

The original hood would be a nice thing to have, there are many different opinions on the hood scoops but it looks like this one is at least functional .

From the few pics it looks like the car has been done well and first gen monte's are going up in price. The only thing I will add after or before its on the lift, drive it as well.Ā 

Good Luck and keep us postedĀ 

Ā 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

I like the hotrod side quite a bit ,Ā  However it has the price tag of an original SS454 .Ā 

If I was interested, my offer would be close to $35,000 .Ā  With that said, Everyone feels their vehicle is special and should be worth more than most !!Ā  it's worth every bit that you feel comfortable payingĀ 

My friends said the same thing. They are big Chevy guys and love it but asking price is to high.

27 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Welcome to the madnessĀ šŸ¤£Ā My default answer to is it worth it (both selling and buying) is its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Already some good moments so I'll try not to repeat them.

The car may be "streatable" as is, but seems like it was meant to go fast quick not cruise to the local hot spot cruise in. I'm going to bet that crate motor needs to run on premium gas, I paid $4.71 this am for my daily driver. Also guesstimate the engine itself Ā is worth around 15k if not more. Just saying.Ā 

The original hood would be a nice thing to have, there are many different opinions on the hood scoops but it looks like this one is at least functional .

From the few pics it looks like the car has been done well and first gen monte's are going up in price. The only thing I will add after or before its on the lift, drive it as well.Ā 

Good Luck and keep us postedĀ 

Ā 

I will , thanks. I like the hood, it doesnt look like your typical cowl hood I see all over at shows.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gnfanatic said:

I will , thanks. I like the hood, it doesnt look like your typical cowl hood I see all over at shows.

Theres a few members here that have cowl hoods, some different configurations. Its far from "original/stock" which may hurt the value on one side but the bottom line is that its your car so you can do what you want.

That being said, I hope it works out for you. You found a great spot full of Monte maniacs with tons of knowledge and information to share. The color does look sharpĀ 

I suggest you put aside your initial reaction/attraction and consider the value of this particular vehicle to you longer term.Ā  If its current appearance and level of performance is what you would ultimately want to have and live with long term, it may be worth getting it all up front.Ā 

If, on the other hand, you don't see yourself needing or living with that level of performance long term, you can surely buy the appearance for less than this seller's asking price.Ā  For me personally, it would be worth more without the hood scoop, regardless of its drive train, so including the original hood is a plus.Ā  It's a cool ride, for sure, but I could never justify that asking price.

• Like 1

Welcome to the madness Ralph!!!Ā  As many have said, if You and the Seller are happy its a good deal. Thats all that counts. She is beautiful!Ā 

I also am not crazy about the hood But again Its your car you do as you like!!!! My .02 if you like it enough to even think about buying her set a number in your head what you would pay and thats the final amount no matter what. Good Luck, she looks sweet!Ā 

What part of NY are you from?Ā  I am about half way out Long Island.

Also if your screen name means what i think we are closer than you know!

I would never pay that much for someones shiny hot rod. Nice car, but I see $30-$35k tops if it has it all. Nice car, but to me all that persionalization devalues quite abit. The scoop kills it for me, but a hood can be changed. Then prepped, painted and then installed. Changes on hot rods can get very pricey.Ā 

Good Morning, I checked out the Monte yesterday and saw some issues. Both front floor pans have minor rot and the rear inner fender well. The frame is very solid and so is the body. I love the car but $47K is to much especially with the metal work. I offered him $35k but not sure if he will go for it.Ā 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gnfanatic said:

Good Morning, I checked out the Monte yesterday and saw some issues. Both front floor pans have minor rot and the rear inner fender well. The frame is very solid and so is the body. I love the car but $47K is to much especially with the metal work. I offered him $35k but not sure if he will go for it.Ā 

What do you consider minor rot? I don't consider rot minor. Surface rust is one thing but if it's rotted out that's another,Ā  that's a lot of $$$ for a car with any rot in my opinion. Hope it all works out for you. Oh yea and this is from a guy in the north east where we see a lot of rot. I was even able to find a rust free car near where I live.

• Like 1