cool air coming out of heating controls

rsorg

hi, i took my monte for a drive yesterday ,about 40 degrees out and with the actuator set for heat and floor discharge there is cold air coming out of the selector face plate,never done that before ,thanks

What year?

With stock A/C or aftermarket A/C or W/O A/C? 

I believe if there is a vacuum leak in the system (with factory A/C) or it is not hooked up (vacuum line came off) the airflow will automatically flow to the windshield defroster vents on the dash but if they are unhooked or broken or the plastic tubes broke off, it may flow all over the place.

One more thing to ask yourself, if it worked in the past, what changed? New radio or speakers, new heater core.........

Good luck!

• Like 2

You don't mention it, but was it cold air coming out? I assume that if it was 40 degrees outside you likely had your selector set to warm, is that correct? If all that is correct and the car was warmed up to proper operating temp you may have a faulty cowl vacuum actuator, or just no vacuum to your system so the air diverter doors are not operating properly. If I recall the diverter door that is connected to the heat/cold lever is manually actuated with a cable that goes from the selector lever to the top of the heater box assembly. 

The selector switch on AC cars looks like an octopus behind the faceplate with all the various vacuum hoses but you can see it all pretty good if you pop the dash pad off and remove that center vent. Or you can fumble around with an inspection mirror and leave the vent in place. 

Regardless it sounds like an interesting problem but certainly nothing too very difficult. 

hi ,sorry about the explanation, 1972 with ac , the cold air was coming from behind the selector ,it was set on heat and hot , floor ,i put it on the dash vents and it did have warm air coming out of them,the selector is where the cold air was discharging ,yes it worked in the past ,no coolant flush ,or radio or other adjustments on or in the dash,thanks alot roger

Based on the information you gave us I would venture to guess you have some kind of air leak in the cowl area, allowing the cold outside air come in to the area behind the dash. It sounds like your heater system is working as advertised. Try taking your car outside on a dark night and putting a bright light inside the car under the dash, say on the trans hump. If there are any major leaks you will see light coming thru the firewall or in the wiper transmission area of the cowl. Hey, easy place to start and no disassembly required.