Build Sheet Code List...

Tazman

I don't know about the build sheet but I had a window sticker made years ago. Don't remember where.

Googled it, found one, not mine:

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/impala/parts/dc881.html

At one time I had a copy of a black ssheet (think I got it off line) and then used information off another big block build sheet to build one for mine. I also have a blank window sticker that someone made which is close to the stock one that you could have seen. I have seen places online that will make you a build sheet for a price even give it an aged look.

I have a 1970 monte,where can I find the build sheet?

Here's some info:

http://www.firstgenmc.com/tech/buildsheet.shtml

Keep in mind that if the car was built in Flint, there will not be a build sheet in the car. In my 70 Monte built in Baltimore, I found 2 build sheets so far in my seats and there could still be another one on the gas tank. Sometimes you may even find one for a different car that was on the same line that day.

• 2 years later...

So if I'm a guy with 70 SS built in Flint, are there blank build sheets that you can acquire and reproduce your own build sheet with the build sheet codes for your car?

I have seen reproduction window stickers but not build sheets.  There are other ways to verify if it is a true SS so having a fake build sheet would not do much for you.  Not only that, anyone who really knows these cars or for that matter any car built at the Flint would know it is fake.  In reality if I were buying a car built at the Flint plant and the seller presented me with a build sheet I would wonder what else they were being dishonest about and be more inclined to walk away from the deal.

If you are only concerned with having something to display find a place that can reproduce one of the window stickers.

rob

So if I'm a guy with 70 SS built in Flint, are there blank build sheets that you can acquire and reproduce your own build sheet with the build sheet codes for your car?

I'm not sure whether you are sure your '70 SS was built in Flint or if you are hypothesizing that it might have been.  The 7th position of your VIN will tell you for sure.  If it is an "F", then your Monte was built in Flint and you will most likely not find a Build Sheet anywhere in your car.  If the 7th position contains either a "B" (for Baltimore) or an "L" (for Los Angles/Van Nuys) the odds are very good that there are one or more Build Sheets hidden in your car.  I have found two in each of my '70s, one built in Baltimore, the other in Van Nuys.

Although one may exist, I have never seen a list of all possible entries for the 123 boxes shown on a Build Sheet which contains far more detailed information than a window sticker.  I think the odds of creating a completely accurate Build Sheet for any existing Monte are zero.  For example, the very first box in the upper left corner is the Job Sequence Number assigned by the plant which no one knows. Then there's the production date and the Deliver To Dealer name and address - difficult, if not impossible, to know.  Of course, Box 107 lists the options your car was built with and corresponds almost directly to the Window Sticker so you could probably re-create that fairly accurately by noting which options your car has.

The parts specified in Boxes 11 - 106 represent dozens, if not hundreds, of possible assembly options.  For example, there were 10 possible codes for the Front Springs (Box 13) and 3 codes for the Rear Springs (Box 14) - neither are the same on my two Build Sheets and there is no way to identify which code your car was built with just by appearance.

There is also a relationship between the codes in Boxes 11-106 and the RPO codes listed in Box 107.  For example, RPO N40 Power Steering requires a code in Box 34 Power Steering Pulley, otherwise it is blank.  My '70 402 had very limited RPOs listed in Box 107 while my '70 SS had quite a few more.  Consequently only 13 of the 123 boxes are the same on both Build Sheets. 

You might find it interesting to study several examples of '70 SS and non SS Build Sheets and try to determine which codes might match your particular car based on the options it was built with.  By the time you can make an accurate determination of what code should go in most of the boxes, you will know your car very, very well.  In case you want to begin examining '70 Build Sheets, I have included a photo of the Build Sheets for my two '70s. Have fun!

SS Build Sheet: post-567-0-07601600-1481597661_thumb.jpg

Non-SS Build Sheet: post-567-0-16892200-1481661577_thumb.jpg

post-567-0-52227600-1481661621_thumb.jpg

• Like 2