Lifter question..no such thing as a stupid question right?

Steve G

Please don’t laugh or roll your eyes... haha. This is my first BBC build and my first time running hydraulic lifters. I’m buttoning everything up and noticed this...when the cam is at full lift the lifter is less than 1/8 from coming out of its bore. I have asked a few people and can’t get any solid opinions other than a few  starting their opinions with “if it was an LS” ... my concern is it being a hydraulic lifter if it floats or bounces or something of that sort I would think it would be disastrous.

thank you!

B7F0C996-4112-4933-889B-71B1D2178064.thumb.jpeg.16b4dfdbfe4ebcd2537555ef09338b95.jpeg

How much lift does the new cam have ??

From the looks of the lifter you have, it appears that it would have issues at any rpm.... Lifters shouldn't have different diameters like that. Any float and the edge will catch and shrapnel your engine. 

Personally don’t see a problem. Your concern about floating a valve should not be if you run the right valve springs and rpm as intended as dictated by the parts you use. 

the cam lobe lift will not be made big enough to push the lifter out of the bore, the closed part of the lobe is ground smaller to move the lifter down further into the bore when the valve is closed. Also, 1/8th inch times rocker ratio would equal piston to valve contact with valve float. Again, combination of parts for intended rpm

• Like 1

Thank you! I got all the valvetrain dialed in and found my rocker nuts were hanging by like 3 threads on the studs. I guesstimated what length I needed and was wrong, still learning.. At this rate I’m going to have enough odd parts to build another motor.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Thank you! I got all the valvetrain dialed in and found my rocker nuts were hanging by like 3 threads on the studs. I guesstimated what length I needed and was wrong, still learning.. At this rate I’m going to have enough odd parts to build another motor.

We are talking about push rods now not rocker studs correct?