Hello From a New Member

Mopper77

Hi Everyone,

So the Amazon delivery guy dropped off my '72 earlier this week...

I could not be more excited to get it.  Have been a big fan of the first gens since the early 80's when one of the older boys who lived across the street pulled a gold one (a '70 I think) into the driveway.  I will never forget the impression those tail lights made on me - still one of the best looking rear ends of any car ever in my opinion.

Also very excited to join the FGMCC!  I look forward to learning a lot more - and hopefully contributing something eventually too!

The only disappointing thing is that winter (and road salt) is now here in the Chicago burbs so won't be able to drive it too much in the near term.  It spent it's whole life in Alabama - those snowflakes in the first picture are the only ones it has ever seen (or will ever see)!

-Bill

thumbnail_IMG_1.png

thumbnail_IMG_2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4.jpg

• Like 8

First off :W second that looks like a very nice car you got there. I've got some stuff from Amazon but never a car 🤣 when I first saw your screen name I thought it said Mopar🙄 kinda glad it doesn't. Good luck with it enjoy. Theres a lot of great info around here dont to be afraid to ask questions and offer advice. 

Welcome to the madness! I've never seen an Amazon truck with a lift gate lol. You've found a site with very knowledgable people always willing to help, and spend your money lol The only good thing about winter is now you have time for all the little things you want to do before its time to cruise 

Bill,

Beautiful Monte you have found.  It is great to see someone on their first post to already be a dues paying member of the club AND posts pictures.

I agree with Tom and Steve, I have never seen Amazon delivering a car.  So, if you have Amazon Prime I guess you didn't have to pay any shipping for the delivery.  We look forward to more posts from you.

rob

• Like 1

First off welcome. Great group of people here. Always willing to help. I also thought your screen name was mopar. I quickly figured that out. Nothing wrong with a mopar. I thought Amazon delivered you a die cast and you were messing with us. The pictures tell a completely different story. Beautiful car. I’m looking forward to more pictures and interaction in the future. Well done on the purchase. Now put in in the garage and just stare at it till spring. lol. 

Welcome to the madness Bill!!!  And a Dues paying member also!!   The car is beautiful!!  I can be wrong but i remember something like, in 72  black had to be special ordered. Your build sheet should state that.  Love her!!!!

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback already guys!  I knew this was going to be a good group.

Glen - I am down in Mokena, so not too far from you.

Willie - You have already helped me learn something new, thank you.  I do have the original build sheet noting the special order WA-848 Black.  I believe in the two prior years (or maybe just 1970?) "tuxedo black" was a standard color, but I could not figure out what was going on in 1972 and why black was special ordered.

-Bill (NOT Mopar LOL)

Bill, you can look at your body tag to determine the original paint color and paint code was from the factory.  There is a good bit of other information on the nody tag also.  

Go to this link that can be found in the resourses page....  https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/decodingbodytag/

rob

10 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

The paint chart in the resource area doesn't show black. I think it was a special order

Paint Codes - First Generation Monte Carlo Club (firstgenmc.com)

Either that or at some point it was repainted.  Black seems to be a very popular color or absence of color.

rob 

37 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Either that or at some point it was repainted.  Black seems to be a very popular color or absence of color.

rob 

Lol Rob.

As already stated, black was an optional color for the 70 and 71 Monte Carlo. For 72 it was not a standard color option but a "special order" color. 

6 hours ago, Mopper77 said:

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback already guys!  I knew this was going to be a good group.

Glen - I am down in Mokena, so not too far from you.

Willie - You have already helped me learn something new, thank you.  I do have the original build sheet noting the special order WA-848 Black.  I believe in the two prior years (or maybe just 1970?) "tuxedo black" was a standard color, but I could not figure out what was going on in 1972 and why black was special ordered.

-Bill (NOT Mopar LOL)

Good deal, there’s a ton of cruise-ins and shows all the time once the season swings back around so I’ll keep you in mind. 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Club! Nice '72 you have there. I noticed you have the Custom Steering wheel. I don't see Custom badges up on "C" pillar (where the Monte Carlo emblem is on each side sail panel) . Do you know if it is a Custom? . It would have a 12 bolt rear axle , Sport mirror on driver's side, and wide belt moulding on top of doors. I'm looking to trade out my sport wheel for a Custom wheel since I'm going to "clone "my '72. Have most of the pieces except for the steering wheel. Here's a picture of the sport mirror. I have my original mirror(I see you don't have the center section on yours). Yes, Black was special order back in '72, that's why I'm wondering if it is a Custom. Power windows,(can't tell on the locks), Sport Dash. Just some things missing ,( Trim on doors and badges).gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg