1972 big block. Power steering pump

RalphN

I had an issue with my 71 small block pump leaking. I put a reseal kit in and was fine for about a year or so then starting leaking again, come to find out the outer body of it was the problem so I had to get a new one. What is the problem your having?

1 hour ago, RalphN said:

This is the 3rd time I've petitioned this forum.  About a 1972 big block power steering pump. Any issues with leaking?? 

Hi Ralph, when you say this is the 3rd time you have "petitioned" this forum I am not sure what you mean by that.  If you mean you have asked three times about a leaking issue from a power steering pump I don't understand because your post today is the very first post you have posted on these boards, as a matter of fact you just got approved to post here an hour or two ago.

Our members are usually pretty quick to answer a question someone has posted. I am guessing you may have "petitioned" some other site.  Please feel free to ask any questions you like, actually we like a little bit of a challenge on the hard questions but we usually come up with a good answer pretty quickly.

rob

• Like 3

OOOPs.... Welcome aboard the boards here.  We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member of the club and attend one of our club functions.

rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Sorry, never had a power steering pump on a big or small block,  70 style or 71 up style leak. Different shape res. 70 is roundish and 71 up is square. 

Tom what do you mean by square? I don't remember anything square on mine.

47 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Tom what do you mean by square? I don't remember anything square on mine.

Flat faced/square pump reservoir is what I'm thinking he meant.

OER Power Steering Pumps A7026

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Yes!! Lol that's the bugga!  Thank you. 

I saw on a Chevelle site where someone called it the 'canned ham' style reservoir 🤣 

I used to think the flat faced ones were small block & the round neck were big block, but researching it seems like they are mixed and matched with no particular reasoning. Brackets make a difference too, depending on the style too from what I've seen (mostly the adjusting bracket I think).

• Like 2

Big Red is a 70 SS454 with the original pump and the COVID Monte is a 71 small block and that is the original pump also. Not only original style but the actual original pumps to both cars and they are of the roundish style. 

Anyhow back to the original topic yes there is an o ring on that fitting when I installed mine I had to losten the fitting to move the hose a little and it started leaking a little because of the way I tightened it up, a little adjustment and it was fine. But the body of mine apparently was out of round or something so I just replaced the pump. Hope you get it figured out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It used to be if you bought a "rebuilt" starter from NAPA it was actually a brand new model with a rebuild tag on it. That was one of the reasons I always went with rebuilt NAPA starters it had a better warranty than their new ones when I worked there 10 years ago

2 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

....but I've never had any luck with any rebuilt parts from Napa, especially electric parts. 

My horror stories with NAPA rebuilt parts was usually with the power steering stuff. Pumps and racks, that were rebuilt by A1-Cardone.

1 hour ago, jft69z said:

My horror stories with NAPA rebuilt parts was usually with the power steering stuff. Pumps and racks, that were rebuilt by A1-Cardone.

I had problems with a couple starters and alternators, I try to avoid rebuilt or remanufactured any more. New is a few more bucks but usually works way better. I'll get new if possible. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

The problem is, that’s all you can get. Everyone sells the same part in different boxes. 

I did find that Autozone used a different rebuilder back when that happened to me (P/S pumps). That was a number of years ago though. For the record, Autozone is about on the bottom of the list of suppliers I use, but they did save me that one time.

Oddly enough, the vehicle I went thru a couple of bad steering racks that A1-Crapone rebuilt is in my shop at this very moment.

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

I did find that Autozone used a different rebuilder back when that happened to me (P/S pumps). That was a number of years ago though. For the record, Autozone is about on the bottom of the list of suppliers I use, but they did save me that one time.

Oddly enough, the vehicle I went thru a couple of bad steering racks that A1-Crapone rebuilt is in my shop at this very moment.

I guess you’re doing the brakes on the Trailblazer. Retired???  Ya right. Fine then, the pos70 body is on the way. Amazon is delivering it.