1972 big block. Power steering pump

RalphN

5 hours ago, Dtret said:

I guess you’re doing the brakes on the Trailblazer. Retired???  Ya right. Fine then, the pos70 body is on the way. Amazon is delivering it. 

Lol, Amazon Prime is pissing me off lately. Delivery times are 5-10 days off, no 2 day shipping it seems. Probably holiday related, but it's on anything I looked at, not just one or two items.

Yes, front brakes for a old customer of mine. After I quit doing work for other people a few years ago, he went to another shop. Calls me up recently, says front brakes are squealing. I tell him have the shop he paid look at them. Twice, they fail to fix them. Begs me to do them, and wants all new parts because he knows I won't use cheap stuff.

I finally looked at them today, found they used cheap rotors & pads. But the main problem is when they cleaned the caliper brackets where the pads/shim clips go, they must have used a grinder to clean the rust out. Hogged it out so bad, the pads and clips just flop around, which would absolutely cause the squeal. Probably about .030" worth of slop there, on all 8 corners. No amount of brake pad spray on the back side is going to fix that.

Look for new brackets, not available for 8-10 days. They (NAPA) do have reman calipers with brackets, clips, etc. for $20 more, in stock though. Small parts kit with pins, boots & bolts would have cost close to that if replacing just the brackets. Customer gives the go-ahead. Start assembling them & notice something doesn't look right. Apparently one of the new brackets must have had a hard prior life because more than half of the mounting surface is ground away, like a brake rotor was grinding away at it. Still can't picture a scenario how that would have happened, and must have been a hell of a noisy ride, if so. 

Anyways, these were the 'best' NAPA calipers (Adaptive One -remans though. Didn't say A1-Crapone, just distributed by NAPA), not even the cheaper line (they didn't have the brackets anyways). So, they're getting another one in tomorrow morning so I can finish the job.

I hate working on cars.

The area circled in red should be about as wide as the same area on the left side of the bracket. It wouldn't have supported the shim clip & brake pad properly and would have probably made a big mess if it was put into service. (I marked it 'Bad' and xxx'd it for them)

20221208_223403.jpg

20221208_223322.jpg

• Sad 2

46 minutes ago, Dtret said:

That’s just sad. No quality control whatsoever anymore. 

I agree. The part was painted up real nice though.

6 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

You can paint a turd and make it pretty but it's still a turd!

But why would you, it would still stink.

rob

40 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I agree. The part was painted up real nice though.

That’s one of the cases where the car goes to the shop and the owner says “ it started making this weird noise today, and my radio wouldn’t go any louder”. 

• Haha 2