Looking for 1970 SS

I'm on the lookout for a '70 SS454. I know, I know, hard to find. If anyone hears of one in good to excellent condition, I would appreciate a heads-up. Prefer numbers matching and as close to stock/original as possible. No rust is a must.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Here’s one that’s been listed for a bit. If it’s something you’d like looked at, I’ll be more than happy to go and check it out as I’m not too far from it.  

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1639125/1970-chevrolet-monte-carlo-for-sale-in-addison-illinois-60101

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Glen said:

Here’s one that’s been listed for a bit. If it’s something you’d like looked at, I’ll be more than happy to go and check it out as I’m not too far from it.  

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1639125/1970-chevrolet-monte-carlo-for-sale-in-addison-illinois-60101

Not a bad price if as nice as advertised. Hagerty recommended I insure mine for 58K 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DragCat said:

Not a bad price if as nice as advertised. Hagerty recommended I insure mine for 58K 

It’s weird when hear an insurer encouraging the client to go high on replacement value. Hagerty told me to contact them after the interior was done in the ‘70 (still haven’t called or emailed them yet) to increase total loss coverage. I guess I’ll have to do that soon. 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 3:55 AM, Glen said:

Thanks @Glen, I may take you up on your offer. I'm going to call them tomorrow. I saw this car and noticed that it has a First Generation Monte Carlo Club sticker on the radiator top plate. Someone here must know something about this car. I wonder if @Rob Peters can shed some light?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBMan said:

Thanks @Glen, I may take you up on your offer. I'm going to call them tomorrow. I saw this car and noticed that it has a First Generation Monte Carlo Club sticker on the radiator top plate. Someone here must know something about this car. I wonder if @Rob Peters can shed some light?

No prob, Bryan. Hit me with a PM to coordinate if/when it materializes. I’ll be happy to do it. 

• Like 3

I talked to the dealer that has this car. He said the car came from North Carolina but that's about all he knew about the history. I asked him about modifications, but he didn't know much other than it has original panels. I questioned the carb because I could see the fuel line running to the side of the carb (under the air cleaner). I knew it wasn't a Quadrajet but thought it was probably a Holley. It's an Edelbrock. That makes me wonder what else has been done to it. :(

@Glen I'll holler at you if I want you to look at it. I'm kinda iffy about it because of the probable mods.

IMG_0564.jpeg

I would think since it has a FGMCC radiator cover plate someone here knows the car. At least the ad has lots of pictures. Speaking of mods, I don't know what the cylinder next to the rad is, my buddy has something that looks similar for oil pressure on his race car. The added 3 gauge pack under the dash is something to check, and the dash is cracked. Obviously eyes on is a must, and what your willing to spend on this Monte. Its also listed on hemming, as Glen said been for sale for a minute or two 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DragCat said:

I would think since it has a FGMCC radiator cover plate someone here knows the car. At least the ad has lots of pictures. Speaking of mods, I don't know what the cylinder next to the rad is, my buddy has something that looks similar for oil pressure on his race car. The added 3 gauge pack under the dash is something to check, and the dash is cracked. Obviously eyes on is a must, and what your willing to spend on this Monte. Its also listed on hemming, as Glen said been for sale for a minute or two 

@DragCat Yes, I notice the FGMCC radiator plate as well and asked if anybody knew who the car belong to previously but nobody has said anything.

I have concerns about the car. Time on the market is one of them, modifications is the other. They're asking original car money for a car that's not original.

I appreciate the input!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBMan said:

I talked to the dealer that has this car. He said the car came from North Carolina but that's about all he knew about the history. I asked him about modifications, but he didn't know much other than it has original panels. I questioned the carb because I could see the fuel line running to the side of the carb (under the air cleaner). I knew it wasn't a Quadrajet but thought it was probably a Holley. It's an Edelbrock. That makes me wonder what else has been done to it. :(

@Glen I'll holler at you if I want you to look at it. I'm kinda iffy about it because of the probable mods.

IMG_0564.jpeg

Sorry to hear the news started off less than stellar. I just realized that (at least according to the VIN listed) it’s a Flint-built car which means no possibility of a build sheet to corroborate authenticity that way. Woulda been ideal if the dude you spoke with said “by the way…all the original parts swapped out are in boxes in the trunk”.  My ‘70 has similar, easily reversible mods - but all the factory pieces (minus fan shroud) arrived with the car.  

If it comes down to it I’ll insist they put it in the air for me to check for all the numbers and control arms, air ride components (I see the shack protector plates are present… Good sign there) in addition to the trim tag for comparison:  intake and exhaust manifolds, radiator, rad top plate, ignition, AC compressor, alternator & bracket, PS pump, etcetera, etcetera.  Was it the correct air cleaner?

Keep me posted …

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Glen said:

Disregard the air cleaner question… I forget it’s a dual snorkel… it’s not original 😒

Glen. Well done on this and your previous post. It looks like someone has been paying attention in class. Good job, good questions. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Glen. Well done on this and your previous post. It looks like someone has been paying attention in class. Good job, good questions. 

Thanks!!!

I’m a slow learner, but otherwise a fart smeller.  

I mean smart fella’r…

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 months later...

I know of a CLEAN, ridiculously clean, white, black top, black cloth buckets interior '70 in my area of Wisconsin. Frame off restored southern car, no pock marks on anything underneath this car, just stupid clean. All born-with drivetrain, fully documented, and details are right...jambs are black, level-ride compressor in place AND working, etc. I think it'll take $75k or so to buy it, but PM me if interested, and I can connect you to the owner. 

Edited by tid