And so it begins again

cny first gen 71

I am not completly happy the way hood turned out so its back off and I'll start over. Hinges are off and getting ready to send out to be rebuilt. No one else really noticed the flaws (or didn't say anything) but I did so I start over and hopefully don't screw it up worse lol. At least I don't have to do the complete build again.

20221129_214514.jpg

• Like 3

Ahh ok. I see some in the lighting you have. 

I would run a tape line down the center and block sand each side of the hood. I wouldn't strip it down completely. Use the paint as a guide and see how it comes out. 

You did and are doing a great job. A little more finesse and you'll have it! 

When you painted the base, what type of gun did you use and at what pressure? Was the base fully dry before you applied the clear? 

By no means am I picking on you or your work. 

• Like 3

Got a couple small dents I missed and a couple spots that need some attention and some paint corrections but no need to strip it down all the way thank goodness.  Used a gravity feed gun and I do think pressure was a little high. It was fully dry yes but my compressor died on the final coat so pressure did drop some. Had to get a new compressor to do the clear. I'll hopefully get it.

• Like 6

I don't have the knowledge or attention to detail on Montes to pick things apart, especially in the auto body thread. Most of the work I see posted blows me away . As Dennis said, we are our own worst critics. Some of us spend hours on stuff nobody will ever see and put other stuff lower on the priority list because its just not that important at the moment. 

From all the work you've done I'm pretty sure you'll be happier and doubt you'll make it worse. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 420ponies said:

Steve, This would be a great time to just trade hoods.I can give you mine and you can start a new one. I think I'm on to something here!gallery_1763_8_1413157507_2588.jpg

Oh you thinking that eh Jim that's probably not gonna happen 😅 that was a pain in the butt right from the start to finish. I was told that though from a couple people but did I listen of course not I had to see if I could do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So Steve, now that you have it down to a science you can start popping them out at a pace of one a week and Jim can be your first customer. I’m sure that you have nothing better to do. Lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

See Steve , I think it's working. Just think, you can do these at your leisure. You can charge however you like and I bet you'll find that many of us would contribute to your retirement fund. It's all in the details. I'm going racing when I retire, and will work on other cars just for the desire I have for other race cars. You have to have fun at what you do in life.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From what we can see it looks great!!!  To me it looked great at the meet but sometimes we as owners are our own biggest critics.  

rob

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

From what we can see it looks great!!!  To me it looked great at the meet but sometimes we as owners are our own biggest critics.  

rob

We find flaws where there are none on  our own vehicles oh how well I know this  roflmao

• Like 3