My ‘70 SS Circa 2001-ish

So I believe I’ve mentioned that I was able to track down the dude in Wisconsin that owned my ‘70 from sometime in the late 90’s til early 2010’s. 

This guy was the one who freshened her up;  he found the body (with original interior still in it) in a shipping container after sitting for several years after his cousin bought it to restore (but didn’t). The motor and trans were located in a basement at another property. 

All his receipts from the mechanical and body work and paint made their way from the guy he sold her to, to the guy I purchased her from. Amazingly this guy still had the same home phone number as listed on the receipts and called me back after I left him a voice mail. 

This was all last year some time, but we still text from time to time. He recently found this picture from when he got her out of body and paint. I definitely like the ride height better with the original springs and shocks. Not so sure I like the fuzzy dice though 😂🤣

8AEB2A8D-CF7C-423D-97F8-BFB8315D0479.png

• Like 14

3 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Does he regret selling the car? Very cool that you had a chance to talk to him

He absolutely does, even told me what he sold it for back then and wishes he would’ve kept it.  

He also mentioned that he wasn’t too happy with the guy he sold it to because that dude came off as someone who’d [paraphrasing] “been looking for this car forever”, “it’s my dream car”… yada yada yada … and then sold it shortly thereafter to the guy in California who I bought her from.   

I was going to try to meet him somewhere halfway, maybe at a show or cruise-in for him to see it, but that never happened this past summer. When I sent him pix and a video or two he responded “I don’t remember MY Monte sounding that good” 🤣

But he’s still a car guy and has a mini stable in Wisconsin:  ‘79 or ‘80 Z-28, ‘85 or ‘86 Hurst Olds and an ‘05 GTO. All three are spotless, so he’s definitely a car guy. I plan on staying in touch with him and will hopefully bring the car out to him next summer. 

• Like 6

That's cool! It is great to have bits of history for these cars.

For my 70 it is unfortunate I have nothing prior to me buying it in 1996. The guy I got it from passed away and I don't have the name of the original owner.

For my 71 I have some photos and receipts from the past two owners dating back to about 2000. I'm still in contact with the past two owners.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Canuck said:

That's cool! It is great to have bits of history for these cars.

For my 70 it is unfortunate I have nothing prior to me buying it in 1996. The guy I got it from passed away and I don't have the name of the original owner.

For my 71 I have some photos and receipts from the past two owners dating back to about 2000. I'm still in contact with the past two owners.

Yes it is nice to have even some pieces of the puzzle. Bob sent a ton of receipts and various other documentation with the ‘71.  Which reminds me… I’m gonna check in with him soon to see what’s shakin’ in Myrtle Beach. 

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 3:55 PM, Glen said:

Yes it is nice to have even some pieces of the puzzle. Bob sent a ton of receipts and various other documentation with the ‘71.  Which reminds me… I’m gonna check in with him soon to see what’s shakin’ in Myrtle Beach. 

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob this past summer when I was in Myrtle Beach. I bought a few small parts from him and we talked about cars for well over an hour. What a great guy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sbarnette said:

I had the pleasure of meeting Bob this past summer when I was in Myrtle Beach. I bought a few small parts from him and we talked about cars for well over an hour. What a great guy!

Agreed. We BS’d in the garage for a couple hours while we went thru extras I had him put aside for me when I bought the ‘71 and then went thru a ton of other parts and accessories he thought I might be interested in.  It was like talking to someone you knew your whole life.  Here’s how the back seat and trunk of my car looked leaving Bob’s house…

74B63DF9-98A6-4AE0-8802-2FCD0A0E5036.jpeg

586FE28D-A57D-4BA1-8650-F2F09EBE478A.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, willie said:

Nice Glen!!   Did you have to strap anything to roof!!!   LOL

Not quite, lol… gotta love the trunk size on the Crown Vics.  Not visible is the original TH400 which went in first. I was able to put it in there myself… getting it out?  I wasn’t even about to try that solo. 

• Like 2

Steve if you're asking me, there were plenty of times i strapped things including hoods on my trucks roof!!!    I remember seeing something on the wife's FB page. A guy had to get rid of the Monte parts he had as he was getting out of the house. Problem was he waited till the last minute and i had to drive to Virgina to get them right away. He had the whole car there cut up and ready to go. Only thing not there were 1/4s. I fit everything i could in the back part of my Navigator and still had a hood, gas tank, and rockers with door post attached. I loaded them on the roof with the tank on top and strapped and tied them good. Made it home no problem. Thought for sure the Men in Blue were going to pull me over going thru the Lincoln and Mid-Town Tunnels. Figured they would see the gas tank on top of the roof and expect the worst. The trick is always do your running at night!!!   LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You are very lucky. I bought my 70 Monte last year, even hired the Lemon Squad to inspect it. they never road tested it. I was very blessed that it was a totally rust free car with excellent paint and vinal top. The engine had been rebuilt. I had a lot of brake work to do, including installing a vacuum pump for the brakes due to a radical camshaft, and a new shift kit for the 700r4 transmission. So, I'm not on good terms with the seller.

20221105_133307.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Whons said:

You are very lucky. I bought my 70 Monte last year, even hired the Lemon Squad to inspect it. they never road tested it. I was very blessed that it was a totally rust free car with excellent paint and vinal top. The engine had been rebuilt. I had a lot of brake work to do, including installing a vacuum pump for the brakes due to a radical camshaft, and a new shift kit for the 700r4 transmission. So, I'm not on good terms with the seller.

20221105_133307.jpg

That blows. Unless you’re capable/able to do it yourself, you’re always gonna run the risk of being at the mercy of a stranger.  Even still, there’s always a chance of missing something while inspecting yourself if an unscrupulous seller is determined enough.  Either way, you got a nice Monte there. 

• Like 3

Yes I did everything myself except the shift kit and adjusting things in 700r4 transmission. I do have a problem with the ac compressor coming on. It has to be something electoral because I put a electric dashpot in the power wire leading to the compressor to push the throttle a little more at idle. And if the compressor is not on, then the dashpot is not on.