steering gear box

Denny

1992-98 Grand Cherokee Fast Ratio Power Steering Gears
YEAR ALPHA CODE ORIGINAL APPLICATION GEARRATIO EFFORT T-BAR SIZE TRAVEL
1992.5-93-94 AL Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min
1995 JH Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min
1996 KD Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min
1997-98 WK Jeep Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 20-26 0.195 Dia 43deg 45min

I used a Lares 200 rag joint for mine, and reused the stock bolts/nuts.

Most people run the Lee power steering seats but I can't comment on those because I have a metric power steering pump/reservoir:

https://leepowersteering.com/collections/seat-kit/products/saginaw-power-steering-gearbox-seat-kit-after-1980-sae-conversion

You could also find a newer GM truck and remove the fitting from the back of its power steering pump and swap it with yours to be able to use late model pressure hoses. I believe I used the pressure hose from a 1985 Monte Carlo SS.

• Like 1

thanks for the good info ,trying to decide to replace my orig. witch is a ss 454 1970 or go with a jeep gear box . I thought someone said the ss big block cars had different boxes than the regular montes.

Boxes are all the same externally. IF the F41 suspension was ordered, a quicker ratio box was installed. I believe. 

The  83-87 Monte Carlo SS, Grand National and 442 quick ratio box is also an option. Same as the grand Cherokee. The iroc box will also work BUT the internal stops prevent the tires from making a full turn required for our cars. Aka not enough turning radius. 

• Like 2

Yes, you can. The other difference in the fittings is the type of seal. I believe Earl's plumbing makes the part you're looking for.

I went the simpler route, and used compression coupling to tie the metric hoses to the S.A.E. hoses. Working for a couple years so far.20220125_132924.thumb.jpg.1a4bb4b376ebbcd69364d156356ffd96.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know this doesn't relate to Monte Carlos, But I had a 1967 Impala that I changed the gear box to a quicker  lock to lock ratio. the 70 to 72 has to be the easiest gear box to change, being located so far forward on frame.

• Like 1

I have '98 Grand Cherokee steering gear installed with lee compression plugs and used BBC steering lines( Rock Auto) ...worked like a charm, but now seeping fluid around the output shaft...going to replace seal. Hoses were Edelmann 80116 & 70551 respectively. Have about $125 into it and like it. Just be careful changing lanes, way different from what you're used to.