suspension, steering, stance

Finally got the shocks & springs replaced, all new rubber too. the car drives so much better, and the stance is perfect. 10” off the ground behind the front wheel, 12” off at the rear.  it was sitting at maybe 8” at the rear before with the old springs, which looked awful. 
I’m missing some trim (that’s next), and yes, I painted the grille!

28BB84BD-ADF4-4229-8741-BE644EA1D6E3.thumb.jpeg.c1338e6b168ae53c5b24889c8b1a94e9.jpeg

2EC76241-902F-4ABC-8B21-50DB65FC990E.thumb.jpeg.b7c00dbce4971b42f454ce16b707f4e8.jpeg

BC984046-9E3D-4A91-83DB-433BCE2DC946.thumb.jpeg.07ca4524c54e2c09f5630920ded88c6d.jpeg

• Like 11

We’re enjoying minus 5 here at the moment (20° in American!) so not much driving this side of Christmas. She’s driving great though. The biggest difference was rebuilding the Quadrajet with larger jets from Cliff Ruggles. My main niggle now is hard starting when hot, which I think is the starter overheating. Going to wrap tne starter with insulation and see if that helps. 

Paul, she is really looking great, I love the background in the shots too.  Typical of what someone might see in Ireland.  You have come a long way with that Monte, keep the pictures coming!!!

rob

• Like 1

Looking good, enjoy the ride. As for the starter, my car came with a heat shield on the starter. It's not factory but i think it helps. The car is put away for a long winters nap but if i think about it I will try to get a picture. Happy Holidays!!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crom Cruach said:

We’re enjoying minus 5 here at the moment (20° in American!) so not much driving this side of Christmas. She’s driving great though. The biggest difference was rebuilding the Quadrajet with larger jets from Cliff Ruggles. My main niggle now is hard starting when hot, which I think is the starter overheating. Going to wrap tne starter with insulation and see if that helps. 

Hard cranking or just takes longer to fire ?

Could be vapour lock in the fuel line. If the line sits to close to the manifold, the heat boils the fuel and you get air gaps in the flow. 

Good to see you're still out there.... And a "Merry Christmas" to ya.... ;)

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 7:11 PM, Scott S. said:

Hard cranking or just takes longer to fire ?

Could be vapour lock in the fuel line. If the line sits to close to the manifold, the heat boils the fuel and you get air gaps in the flow. 

Good to see you're still out there.... And a "Merry Christmas" to ya.... ;)

just takes longer to fire Scott. Interesting because it seems to help if I keep my foot on the gas pedal while turning her over. Maybe that’s pushing fresh fuel past the hot stuff?  I’ll check that, if I can move the line I will. Many happy returns to all! 
🎅 🎄 

19 hours ago, Crom Cruach said:

just takes longer to fire Scott. Interesting because it seems to help if I keep my foot on the gas pedal while turning her over. Maybe that’s pushing fresh fuel past the hour stuff?  I’ll check that, if I can move the line I will. Many happy returns to all! 
🎅 🎄 

Montelishi's like that when she's cold..... But all carbs are like that. 

I ran an "upsized" steel braided line from the pump to the carb, and after the first run, I can usually start her with just a twist of the key. 

If I remember right, you've done the filters, tank, lines and pump already, as well as the rebuild.... So that would be my next guess. 

• Like 1

After sitting for several days or longer, my stock 71 350 Qudrajet 4 BBL, requires that I crank it for around 10+ seconds to refill the float bowl, then it will start and run fine.

If I drive it the next day it starts fine. I sealed the "plugs" on the bottom of the carb years ago and they could be leaking again or it just evaporates while sitting.

My garage does smell of gasoline after I take it for a ride and it's a warm or hot day.

If I had an electric fuel pump, I could turn the ign switch on, let the pump fill the carb and I bet it would start quickly then!

I'm sure you already checked that the CHOKE plate closes after the gas pedal is pushed one time to release it when the engine is cold.

84_02_01.thumb.jpg.260ce124bfc9828d4dd3076a7c43edfa.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Check your electrical connections at the starter, (tight and no corrosion) and timing too. Too far retarded or advanced will cause hard starting. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love that color blue. I had a 1967 Impala about the same blue. Now I have a 1970 Monte Carlo in dark metallic cherry. My Monte has 2" Drop spindles on the front with an air ride system.

20221105_133307.jpg

DSCN7220.JPG

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Whons said:

Love that color blue. I had a 1967 Impala about the same blue. Now I have a 1970 Monte Carlo in dark metallic cherry. My Monte has 2" Drop spindles on the front with an air ride system.

20221105_133307.jpg

DSCN7220.JPG

The curves on that fastback mmmm sexy! I have photos of your Monte saved on my phone because I was playing with the idea of removing the trim but leaving the wheel arch chrome. I think it looks more ‘muscle’ and it looks great, but the original trim look is growing on me more over time. 

also my lower trim is a bit wrecked, I’m trying to hammer it straighter, but it’s a bit diy! Not that practical to ship it over here because of the length of the pieces. I think if I get her painted I might call Konick and get her done. 

beautiful cars Wayne