rear shocks

Denny

Trying to install rear shocks on my 70 ss, been a long time since old ones were removed .Looks like there are 2 locations for the bottom bolt tryed both but seems like the rear end is to far forward .The top mounting location puts the shock at a bind and sever angle. I do have my frame off the car on jack stands with no weight on the frame not sure if that. makes a dif or not. any advice appreciated  thanks

The differential tends to swing forward in the control arms when hanging from the frame..... And if your driveshaft is off, it's even more.

If you put a floor jack under the "pumpkin" you can bring it back up to where it sits when on the ground. 

thanks guys I,m hoping thats the problem ,the frame is on jackstands with no weight on the frame and the rearend is sorta just hanging by the upper and lower trailing arms no motor ,tranny or driveshaft

20221217_095635.jpg

20221217_095709.jpg

Have you tried putting the floor jack under the rear end and start jacking until it starts to lift the frame off the jack stands.  If it still doesn't line up, with the jack still in place, try simulating weight on the frame by wrapping a tie down/ratch-it strap around the frame and rear end then tighten it up.....  just a suggestion, not sure if it will work.

rob

Use the bottom hole for the shock mount, there is a bushing/spacer that goes in there. Looks like someone drilled that other hole thinking maybe they could get more lift out of air shocks or something like that. Your frame and rear end do look pretty nice.

• Like 2

For what it's worth, the angle of the lower shock mount hole as it relates to the stud that goes through the bottom shock mount is always off. That said, it shouldn't be enough that it prevents you from pushing the two together. I would put the stud into the rear end mounting hole, tighten it up, and then push the shock over the stud. It should be a bit easier that way because there will be just a bit of 'give' in the rubber insulator on the shock body. Of course, mount the top two nuts/bolts first.

• Like 1