70 SS for sale in Nashville

It seems to have a nice family history lol. At least they provided lots of pictures. I'll be interested of what the more knowledgabe members think. The only thing that popped out to me was the driver seat.

• Like 1

Great looking '70 SS - a twin to the one I owned for eight years! The window sticker lists the "Automatic Seat Back Latch" and the power cord going up into the seat back is visible on the passenger's folded-forward seat back.   That seems to be an extremely rare option on first gen Montes.  There is no Build Sheet on a Flint assembled car but I believe that was RPO AQ5 in '70.  Wonder if anyone has seen that option on other first gens?  I installed the after market power seat back latch release kit from Klassic Keyless on my SS and really enjoyed it.

For a fairly heavily optioned car, I'm surprised it does not have power windows.  I know prices are rising on first gens (and SS models in particular), but for $48K+ I would expect enough attention to detail to have the correct exhaust tips and the (allegedly) available compressor installed and that ratty looking trunk freshened up.  It simply does not take that much effort or money to make it look a whole lot better.  Been there, done that.

P7190673.JPG

P7190686.JPG

• Like 6

Great comments, @MCfan. I agree that they didn't seem to put much effort into sale prep, also that they didn't photograph the compressor - if it exists. My opinion on this car is that it's probably a low $40s car in its current condition. I plan to contact them but I really wanted to get feedback from some of the experts here before I do.

• Like 1

I agree with Kevin. I like the idea of the “original “ look. It’s a better possibility that the seller is honest and didn’t just rattle can the car to make it look good. If they do that  then you have to wonder what else they’re hiding. 

• Like 4

Regarding the lack of photos of the air compressor for the leveling system, I just noticed this comment in one of the notes included with the photos. I read those notes multiple times and just glossed over it.

page.jpg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DragCat said:

I guess your just going to have to go and put eyes on it. Keep us posted 

I called them today. Got voicemail so I emailed with specific questions saying that I wanted to know a few things before I committed to driving 6 hours to look at it. A guy named Andy replied and said he would call me tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

See if you can get pictures of the vin on the engine block by the oil filter and possibly the one off the transmission. That way you have proof the engine and transmission are correct for the car. 

• Like 2

Look at the driver's side door jamb notice the 2 switches I for the interior lights like they all have and one for the electric seat release WOW never see that. Also, power door locks and no power windows. He must have wanted the seat releases bad, and you had to order the power door locks because you needed the harness for it. Thats what I liked about the old cars you could get what you wanted and no buy a package like they make you do now.

• Like 1

Bryan,

My 2 cents…

Seller says the only part of the interior that’s been replaced is the package tray. This would suggest it was likely water damaged/warped at some point. Luckily it appears the original speaker grills made the transition to the new tray.

Additional possible clues to support this theory:

•  judging by the seams under rear window not lining up with deck lid gaps, the vinyl top has likely been replaced. Which usually means rust remediation around the back glass has been performed  

• minor rust issues in the trunk support the leaky back glass theory

Which means the suggestion by Keith and Alex makes sense to see how the frame, chassis and other things underneath look. While sleuthing around under the car (ideally the seller can arrange a lift for such viewing) check for those all too important numbers of which Dennis speaks. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

• Like 2

All good advice from Glen. Just on fyi on the vinyl top. I still not fully convinced that that seams were lined up from the factory. I’ve seen original vinyl top cars ( or so I was told, take it for what it’s worth) that have the seams not lining up. I don’t know. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Glen said:

Bryan,

My 2 cents…

Seller says the only part of the interior that’s been replaced is the package tray. This would suggest it was likely water damaged/warped at some point. Luckily it appears the original speaker grills made the transition to the new tray.

Additional possible clues to support this theory:

•  judging by the seams under rear window not lining up with deck lid gaps, the vinyl top has likely been replaced. Which usually means rust remediation around the back glass has been performed  

• minor rust issues in the trunk support the leaky back glass theory

Which means the suggestion by Keith and Alex makes sense to see how the frame, chassis and other things underneath look. While sleuthing around under the car (ideally the seller can arrange a lift for such viewing) check for those all too important numbers of which Dennis speaks. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Hey Glen, yes, he mentions in the ad that the top was replaced (twice, I think). I would agree with your guess that it was water damage around the rear window. I talked to the guy today, he is going to send me photos. I'll update here when he does.

1 hour ago, MC-71 said:

Vinyl top rear seams above the trunk lid are in the wrong spot. Should line up with the quarter panel seam.

Hey Carl, yes, see my comments to Glen regarding the top. It does say in the ad that it has been replaced.

20 hours ago, Dtret said:

See if you can get pictures of the vin on the engine block by the oil filter and possibly the one off the transmission. That way you have proof the engine and transmission are correct for the car. 

Great tip, Dennis!

2 hours ago, TheBMan said:

Hey Glen, yes, he mentions in the ad that the top was replaced (twice, I think). I would agree with your guess that it was water damage around the rear window. I talked to the guy today, he is going to send me photos. I'll update here when he does.

Must’ve missed that… running on little sleep lately.  Sounds good, looking forward to seeing what he shows you.  

And adding to Dennis’s numbers suggestion.  See if the seller will accommodate sliding the alternator over to see if she bears the “CRN” and partial VIN stamp on the pad on the head to corroborate the claim of “original engine”.  Hopefully the block wasn’t decked removing these identifiers when rebuilt in ‘81. 

That’s nice!!!!  Keep in mind the “ rust “ you see in the trunk is surface rust. Gm did a horrible job of painting the inside. Anything they couldn’t hit never got protected. Watching the videos, look around the shop. This guy knows what he has. There’s no “ junk” in that shop. Just a note if you buy I could use the extra black vinyl top. Yep “ ambulance chaser” in action. Lol. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Selling off that extra vinyl top might bring the net purchase price down into the reasonable range.  They go for around $10K, right? 😄

• Haha 1