Tires FLAT SPOTS?

RalphN

Hello members, I'm full member now. 

Anyway my 1972 has BF Goodrich T/A radials.  Bought I'M thinking 20yrs so.  NTB.  I bought lifetime balance and rotations, so I get that done but still when it gets up to speed it shakes.  Don't think it's broken belts.  Maybe flat spots?  Anyway to minimize flat spots?  If that is what it is. If I have to buy new Costco has the best deal on BFG's.

Suggestions?  Thx

Yeah.... That rubber is past it's prime. 

What's probably causing your vibration is what my tire guy calls "pixie dust". 

It's the dried rubber inside the tire that's flaked off and accumulates as the tire rotates. There's no way to get rid of it without taking the tire off the rim. And if you're doing that, you might as well get new rubber. 

Remember the good old days when a nice set of slicks were lucky to last the summer ??? LOL

Glen is correct.  20 years is way too long to be running a set of tires.  They will dry-rot.  If you use any kind of tire dressing on the outer surface it sometimes masks the dry-rot but is is still there.  The cost of tires is not worth risk of running tires that old.

Just a warning on the BF Goodrich tires.  If you are getting the raised white lettering, BFG's have been having a lot of trouble with the white letters turning brown and not being able to clean it off.  This has been going on for almost 5 years.  I have seen people complain and get replacements for ones that have turned brown but it is getting harder to get them to replace them anymore.  

rob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...