Radio

Mopper77

Happy New Year Guys.

Apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong spot.  Seems like a topic that could fit into a few different threads (General, Electrical, Parts) but I went with Restorers for now.  I'd be happy to re-post elsewhere if that's the right thing to do.  Anyway...

My recently acquired, mostly original, pretty-much-turn-key '72 that I already love almost as much as my children but for sure will never win any awards at Pebble has an aftermarket radio that is a piece of junk that barely works and needs to be replaced eventually.  The car was originally built with a UM2 AM/FM/8-track and I'd love to get something as close to original as I can.  I've done a little bit of rookie-research both in our forums and elsewhere and *think* that I have learned:

1.  Could be wrong, but appears that there is no such thing as an original-looking repro AM/FM/8-track.

2.  There is a such thing as an original-looking repro AM/FM, but feedback on the quality of these does not sound great.

3.  Original radios are out there on Ebay and elsewhere but they are not cheap and will need work.  I did see in our forums that members have had good luck with both R&B and Barry's for rebuilds.

4.  Original AM/FM's without the 8-track seem to be a lot more common/available than versions with 8-tracks (I've only been able to find one 8-track version so far).

In an ideal world, my first choice would be to land an original AM/FM/8-track and get it rebuilt.  Given that, I guess my question is - what have club members had the best luck with?  Maybe the repros and the rebuilds are both great options and it just comes down to how much money I want to spend?

To be clear - I don't have any 8-track tapes and am not interested in playing 8-tracks in the car...I'm just a dork about originality 🤡

Thanks for the help.

-Bill

30 minutes ago, Mopper77 said:

Apologies in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong spot.  Seems like a topic that could fit into a few different threads (General, Electrical, Parts) but I went with Restorers for now.  I'd be happy to re-post elsewhere if that's the right thing to do.  Anyway...

Maybe the repros .....

Happy New Year Bill!

As far as posting location, no worries. We're not very strict at all here, and if it's really out of place we could move it to the appropriate section.

I personally have the Custom Autosound 740 and pretty satisfied with it. Main reason I went with it was I didn't want to cut the dash, plus this one had some decent features, internal amplifiers, USB stick input, subwoofer controls & outputs, and also pre-outs to use an external amp as well. 

https://customautosoundmfg.com/product/custom-in-dash-radios/usa-740

Keep in mind, the 70-72 Montes use the SS style dash, so not all Chevy radios will fit the existing opening. I would have maybe preferred their 'Slidebar" radio, but it's not designed to fit our car. 

custom autosound.JPG

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Happy New Year Bill!

As far as posting location, no worries. We're not very strict at all here, and if it's really out of place we could move it to the appropriate section.

I personally have the Custom Autosound 740 and pretty satisfied with it. Main reason I went with it was I didn't want to cut the dash, plus this one had some decent features, internal amplifiers, USB stick input, subwoofer controls & outputs, and also pre-outs to use an external amp as well. 

https://customautosoundmfg.com/product/custom-in-dash-radios/usa-740

Keep in mind, the 70-72 Montes use the SS style dash, so not all Chevy radios will fit the existing opening. I would have maybe preferred their 'Slidebar" radio, but it's not designed to fit our car. 

custom autosound.JPG

Thanks for the quick response Joe!

Shoot, I thought I had that SS-style-dash thing figured out.  I definitely don't want to cut the dash either.  So if I am following you correctly, the first two radios below would not work, but the other two would?

-Bill

Capture.PNG

AM FM NO 8 TRACK.JPG

AM ONLY WITH 8 TRACK.JPG

AM FM WITH 8 TRACK.jpg

2 hours ago, Mopper77 said:

Thanks for the quick response Joe!

Shoot, I thought I had that SS-style-dash thing figured out.  I definitely don't want to cut the dash either.  So if I am following you correctly, the first two radios below would not work, but the other two would?

-Bill

I'm not sure about those Bill.

1 hour ago, MC-71 said:

Joe can 71-72 OEM knobs fit that radio?

Yes, I put the OEM knobs on the 740.

I think all them radios will work. I think it’s c.a.s. slide radio he was referring to. The actual gm radio, era correct, should fit. Are them pics pilfered? That bottom one looks like the one I bought last year. lol. 

• Like 1

I'm just throwing this out there, I have a Custom Autosound 630 that the PO installed, and I don't like it. I do have an amp in the trunk and upgraded speakers. But it does look good in the dash. Now the disclaimers 🤣

I do agree with hating cutting the dash, and I'm NOT  a stock / original guy so I don't know if "for looks" it would pass at a show. My problem is the USB option, its flakey at best. That being said, and technology the way it is it may be just me. I have 2.0 USB's, they work fine in my 2017 DD, but when I tried 3.0 USB's in my DD they aren't even recognized. 

So I guess my point is, do your homework on what's important to you, looks and then what your actually going to use it for. 

• Like 1

I am one of those guys who got his stereo rebuilt at R&B and couldnt recommend it more. First off, because you are using the original radio there is no question about it being "stock". Secondly the sound and features are comparable to any of the aftermarket which, lets face it, don't look exactly correct. 

I am sure Randy can build you an 8 track unit, or may even have one in stock, that will work properly since you said you dont plan on playing any 8 track tapes in it. Not recommended anyway as the tape would likely be eaten quickly due to its age. 

Pricey, yes, but you get what you pay for. 

I had a unit in my other car and when the push buttons stopped working I sent it back to R&B who repaired it for the cost of the shipping. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, DragCat said:

I'm just throwing this out there, I have a Custom Autosound 630 that the PO installed, and I don't like it. I do have an amp in the trunk and upgraded speakers. But it does look good in the dash. Now the disclaimers 🤣

I do agree with hating cutting the dash, and I'm NOT  a stock / original guy so I don't know if "for looks" it would pass at a show. My problem is the USB option, its flakey at best. That being said, and technology the way it is it may be just me. I have 2.0 USB's, they work fine in my 2017 DD, but when I tried 3.0 USB's in my DD they aren't even recognized. 

So I guess my point is, do your homework on what's important to you, looks and then what your actually going to use it for. 

43 minutes ago, cbolt said:

I am one of those guys who got his stereo rebuilt at R&B and couldnt recommend it more. First off, because you are using the original radio there is no question about it being "stock". Secondly the sound and features are comparable to any of the aftermarket which, lets face it, don't look exactly correct. 

I am sure Randy can build you an 8 track unit, or may even have one in stock, that will work properly since you said you dont plan on playing any 8 track tapes in it. Not recommended anyway as the tape would likely be eaten quickly due to its age. 

Pricey, yes, but you get what you pay for. 

I had a unit in my other car and when the push buttons stopped working I sent it back to R&B who repaired it for the cost of the shipping. 

Great stuff, thanks again guys.

-Bill

• Like 2