Exhaust drone and muffler question.

My 72 base 350 came with long tube headers, 2 1/4" pipes running to Flowmaster 40 series mufflers just in front of the rear axle.I has 2" pipe going over the axle leading into 3"diameter, 18" long chrome exhaust tips, no resonators. It is horribly loud and the interior drone is unbearable!

My initial thought is to install an H pipe and replace the 40 seies with Delta 50 series mufflers. 

Should this be sufficient or do I need to add resonators in the back?

Any muffler suggestions that would be quieter than the 40's, still sound healthy, but maybe a bit less $$?

I went thru 6 different mufflers recently when I replaced the exhaust on my Camaro. Two Flowmasters, Dynomax, Thrush, Hooker, and Magnaflows. I ended up with the Flowmaster 3 inch Deltaflow 40 series. They were noticeably quieter than the Flowmaster Super 44's, with less drone as well.

My Monte has the Flowmaster 2.5" Super 44's with tailpipes, H-pipe and no drone. Less aggressive cam than the Z/28 though, which makes a difference overall as well.

The 40 Series Delta Flows are about 4 mufflers less aggressive on their chart as far as noise, and it is noticeable in real world comparison on the same car.

• Like 1

Follow up: I had the 40's replaced with the Deltaflow 50's. Nice and quiet inside, no drone, and a healthy exhaust sound outside.

My exhaust guy feels the H-pipe doesn't effect the interior drone, rather smooths the outside sound a bit. He's the one who stands to make $$ from that install, have to respect that.

A test drive with the new mufflers confirmed his experienced opinion. 0 to 70 at full throttle, a 5 mile cruise at speed and I can hear my stereo without adjusting the volume!  😁

• Like 5