Looking to buy original “ style” air cleaner

Would like to purchase an original style air cleaner for 71 454, turbo jet. The engine has an HEI distributor. Not sure if another year would work or the points distributor air cleaner could be modified in someway... if you have one please respond here or a PM , thanks , Ron T....

7 hours ago, Searsman said:

Would like to purchase an original style air cleaner for 71 454, turbo jet. The engine has an HEI distributor. Not sure if another year would work or the points distributor air cleaner could be modified in someway... if you have one please respond here or a PM , thanks , Ron T....

Ron, are you saying the current air cleaner won't fit after the HEI upgrade? Do you still have the quadrajet ? I don't know if mine was "correct" for my 70 but this is how I got it, and yes HEI with a quadrajet.

AirCleaner.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DragCat said:

Ron, are you saying the current air cleaner won't fit after the HEI upgrade? Do you still have the quadrajet ? I don't know if mine was "correct" for my 70 but this is how I got it, and yes HEI with a quadrajet.

AirCleaner.JPG

Hey buddy, the air cleaner was missing the original when I purchased the car... but I’ve heard the cleaner that came with the point distributor won’t fit without modifying.. glad to know some will.. joe just sent me a PM.. I’ll check that out..., see you at somerset, your car looks great.. Ron...

10 hours ago, Searsman said:

Hey buddy, the air cleaner was missing the original when I purchased the car... but I’ve heard the cleaner that came with the point distributor won’t fit without modifying.. glad to know some will.. joe just sent me a PM.. I’ll check that out..., see you at somerset, your car looks great.. Ron...

Don't know if mines 'original", I know the decal isnt correct 🤣 when the PO had mine OPGI didnt have the correct decals or correct turn signal lenses, luckily he changed the lenses before I bought it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 7:48 AM, DragCat said:

Don't know if mines 'original", I know the decal isnt correct 🤣 when the PO had mine OPGI didnt have the correct decals or correct turn signal lenses, luckily he changed the lenses before I bought it. 

Mark, so what are the correct decals on a 71 SS breather... ? Without me looking thru the archives... now that I have found a breather and restoring it..

Hey Ron if you are going that far to bring back the air cleaner, alittle info from a very knowledgeable club member named Darren told me the set of letters on your build sheet in box #91 (engine tune label) has to match. All 3 have to read the same 2 letters, build sheet, air cleaner and top of rad (emission) stickers.  If its "AU" they are going to be a PIA to find! Mine up here are all AU.      Let us know how you make out!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, willie said:

Hey Ron if you are going that far to bring back the air cleaner, alittle info from a very knowledgeable club member named Darren told me the set of letters on your build sheet in box #91 (engine tune label) has to match. All 3 have to read the same 2 letters, build sheet, air cleaner and top of rad (emission) stickers.  If its "AU" they are going to be a PIA to find! Mine up here are all AU.      Let us know how you make out!

Now that’s very technical! I’ll give it a try , thanks willie...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sbarnette said:

Ron,

This is the one you’re looking for.

decal-1971-chevelleel-caminomonte-carlo-

Yep, I thought so.. have one ready.. now isa gotta figure out what willie is talking about 😁

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 9:17 AM, willie said:

Gee whiz Willie, you sure know how to give a guy a challenge! No luck yet!

• Like 2

Willie, wasn’t aware of a tune label number. But that’s how we learn. From guys like you. The sheet is very indistinguishable on that block but as far as I can tell it is a AU . Which you have indicated I probably won’t find. 

• Like 2

Ron if you can't read it on the build sheet, and we know you don't have the original air cleaner, have you checked the rad cover? The sticker on the rad cover also indicates it.

I did not know of this until i asked on this club site and Darren jumped in and schooled me, and I am forever Thankful for that!!!

Can someone please show some pics for Ron?     Ron if no one puts any pics up, i will pm you with my cars stickers to show you tomm.

• Like 1

Thanks to Sam i copied this from another post. Even though it is not correct as Sam caught, i am using it to show you. Do you see the WN  on top? Thats where you should look on your car. All 3 should match these 2 letters. Rad sticker, build sheet, and the side of the air cleaner sticker.

A445AEC0-DA50-436A-BD9E-921DAF318DDF.jpeg.6c2b1523621f23be4d0c5ecb19e74068.jpeg

• Like 3

That’s the only reason I caught the 1973 date on this label. I remembered seeing somewhere on the boards that the information should be on the tune label, so I zoomed in on this one to see. 

• Like 2

Nice job catching it Sammy!  Funny thing is i was trying to copy it at the same time but couldnt figure it out (I stink at this computer thing).   But glad you did.

Ron let us know if you have this ant what it says. 

• Like 1

Thanks willie, the rad cover has a chrome cover over it now. I’ll take it off and look but I’m pretty sure the rad has been painted. It’s the original tho. 
dennis, that’s the stickers I need, ship them to me palease ! 😄. Looked at lots of sites for AU. Willie, by the way. I ran across your conversation with Darren on the boards in 2019. Got that guys phone number if it’s still good. May have to try call him see if he can get them. I’m pretty sure this says AU. Going to try friend at local parts places first . Thanks for the info guys 👍🏻. I learn something every time I go on this site . 

• Like 1