ARH stainless BB Monte headers ready to ship

Dans '70 Z20

Nick (owner) of ARH just called me.  Somehow, there was an internal miscommunication and they accidentally made (2) sets of headers for my order.  They are for BB 70-72 Monte's with orig cast heads with (square rounded corners) exhaust ports.  Built with  2" primaries with 3" collectors.

They are the only headers that fit BB Monte’s with AC.  ARH is moving to NC in March and has not been filling any classic header orders.  Holding off until late summer.  They are strictly producing many of their big sellers for newer cars to have enough inventory to carry them through the time of  their move.  Nick did me a favor due to his close relationship with my engine builder.

I told him I would post their availability  here to help him out.... and hopefully someone else looking now to avoid the long delay.

Here is the link to ARH.  
**Ask for Nick if you are interested in these.

https://americanracingheaders.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq9yV08LF_AIVzODICh2j4Ar8EAAYASAAEgJPYfD_BwE

Hope this helps someone.

Dan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, riverdogs00 said:

I just received my 1 7/8 set after being on order for 3 months.  Minor clearancing needed at the mini starter, but they look great. They are going on my LS-7 which I hope to test fit into the car today.

No pictures, it didn't happen.  Shame on you 

rob

• Haha 2

On 1/13/2023 at 5:21 PM, Dans '70 Z20 said:

Nick (owner) of ARH just called me.  Somehow, there was an internal miscommunication and they accidentally made (2) sets of headers for my order.  They are for BB 70-72 Monte's with orig cast heads with (square rounded corners) exhaust ports.  Built with  2" primaries with 3" collectors.

They are the only headers that fit BB Monte’s with AC. 

Dan, unless your BB Monte has a manual transmission, I wonder if those spare headers are for use with automatics only?  The #7 tube must exit straight out (or slightly forward) and down to clear the Z-bar that operates the clutch.  I searched high and low for a pair of full length headers for my BB 4-speed Monte about four years ago.  Finding none, I went with Patriot shorty headers.  If those particular ARH headers will work with a manual transmission, they might be very attractive indeed.

IMG_20190518_104014.thumb.jpg.c833ec010be7708a68b769225a4f0324.jpg

12 minutes ago, MCfan said:

Dan, unless your BB Monte has a manual transmission, I wonder if those spare headers are for use with automatics only?  The #7 tube must exit straight out (or slightly forward) and down to clear the Z-bar that operates the clutch.  I searched high and low for a pair of full length headers for my BB 4-speed Monte about four years ago.  Finding none, I went with Patriot shorty headers.  If those particular ARH headers will work with a manual transmission, they might be very attractive indeed.

My 71 402 4 speed, when we purchased it, had the same hooker headers on it that Big Red has. No clearance issues with those headers either. We will be repurposing the 4 speed headers to use on my son's pro street 70. 

• Like 2

The only clearance issues I had on my 70 SS (crate motor) automatic,a/c,p/s, was I had to modify the bracket for the a/c. Spark plug access is a little tricky 🤣 with #8 being a pita 🤣 But the ARH tuck up nice and tight compared to other brands ive seen

Theres a long thread I started below, others chimed in for their experiences, I also had an issue with the steering lockout, so did someone else until they realized they were doing it wrong 🤣 I havent gone back to double check mine yet 🙃

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

No pictures, it didn't happen.  Shame on you 

rob

Succumbing to peer pressure lol.   I do not have pics of the starter interference, as I didn't realize it was an issue until I could not remove the rag.  Clearanced now at about 1/8", and have ordered a couple of different shield /starter wraps to see if that's going to be enough, or if I have to continue to beat on it. The car is being converted to a 4 speed (M23), and I wanted to drop the engine in for mock up to double check the Zbar location. My hoist (cheapie) does not have enough reach. Even going over the fender with the engine sideways, it was too short.  so - off to the metal yard yesterday for some .250 wall square stock that I'm currently grinding trying to get it to fit inside of the the hoist main beam support. I only needed to take off about 1/32-1/16" but its slow going.   thats where I am in that process.

20230122_084038.jpg

20230122_084043.jpg

20230122_084054.jpg

20230122_084100.jpg

20230122_115507.jpg

20230122_120043.jpg

20230122_120046.jpg

• Like 4

A smaller starter will help. Look in that thread Mark posted, it may have the one we used. The Powermaster ones didn't quite work for me.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jft69z said:

A smaller starter will help. Look in that thread Mark posted, it may have the one we used. The Powermaster ones didn't quite work for me.

Yea If I remember Joe went through 2 or 3 , Mine was the stock starter that came with my crate motor, it was a tad pricey if I remember 🤣 Part # 19302919

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Yea If I remember Joe went through 2 or 3 , Mine was the stock starter that came with my crate motor, it was a tad pricey if I remember 🤣 Part # 19302919

That's the starter I used on the Monte & Z/28, Mark. 

Part of the problem with the PowerMasters, was they wouldn't spin the engine fast enough for the EFI to get a 'Sync' signal. A couple of themjust didn't fit either, even if you 'clocked' them with the available adjustments.

There is a replacement for the GM one we have that's cheaper, supposedly. I forget what the part number/vehicle application is too. There's no guarantee it has the same output specs as the hi-torque GM one either. 

Note: If using that GM starter Mark & I used, you NEED to use the correct bolts to mount it to the engine, GM# - 12338064

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Group, the powermaster starter i bought and used was this one  https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9000    a high torque mini starter. I ran into interference with cylinder #2. I've clearenced the tube (big hammer) and was able to get about3/16" or from the corner of the starter motor. I bought a Moroso starter shield and it fit great, until the headers went back on. see attached pics. I ended up at the end, wrapping the rear portion of the starter motor with heat shield, and then modifying the aluminum sandwiched Moroso shield. It primarily will take care of the solenoid, and the front 3/4's of the starter motor. The wrap I hope is enough for the rear portion.

20230124_125829 (1).jpg

20230225_131419.jpg

20230225_133500.jpg

20230225_143902.jpg

20230225_132429.jpg

20230226_111316.jpg

20230227_152812.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I am going to give the Powermaster a try I guess.  Nick Recommended the Powermaster Model 9500.  Said that is the starter the headers  were designed around.  It seems you guys used different models.  May be thats why you ran into some minor clearance issues.  Also any motor other than the original LS5 with original heads (Mine are both original but worked) may add additional clearance issues.

I also have an original GM heat shield I am hoping to reuse.

Wish me luck.

• Like 5