adding a 700r

My plan is to put in a 700r. I think it'll mate up nice with my 3.90 gears. Do i use the wireing harness for a 400 or is their a place to find a different harness? Secondly, I have the stock floor console (short the shifter still though!) I believe all i have to do to make this work is add a new plate to show the proper gear selection. Are my assumptions right? This car is now a colum sfift but is become a floor shift. Has any one done this swap and could you let me know what i'm in for. Thanks, Mark

Hi:

To put a 700R4 in a Monte, I think you will need a 350 crossmember and driveshaft and a harness for the lockup converter. You must also go to www.700r4.com for info on set up of the TV cable. If not set right this could burn up the trans. For the shifter, Shiftworks makes the detents for the stock shifter to properly select gears.

Hope this gets you started.

Ed

I have one in my 72 and have 390 gears too. It uses the 350 cable kick down arrangement and does not have the electric (lock out) convertor. It probably would have been nice if it did, but I didn't install it.

I did have to add a hole to each side of the frame to accomodate the stock cross member bolt-in location.

My Buddy did the same to his 70 Chevelle SS and used the lock up convertor. I can get info from him on how and who. He used the factory floor shifter and was able to adjust for the extra gear without an issue. I have a column shift and it works fine as well.

One other option on the shifter..When I got my car it had a new stand alone B&M Stick Pro shifter with the plates for TH350 or 700R4. I went back to column shift and will be selling that set-up on Eekbay.