Slip Yoke Weight

FrankOC

I’m swapping in a 2004r and found that the stock slip yoke weight interferes with the transmission tail shaft.  I’m going to order a slip yoke without the weight,  should I have the driveshaft balanced since I’m removing the weight?

'Probably' not necessary, but is certainly cheap insurance against vibrations and possible wear and tear on the transmission internals. You could always take a ride and see if it's a problem as you go thru the range of speeds you typically drive.

If the driveshaft needs to be cut for any reason due to the trans swap, then for sure have it balanced at that time. Is there a local facility close by that can do it, or is it a shipping thing to get it done?

I'm lucky enough to have a great local shop, and would probably get it done just for piece of mind.

• Like 2

Hey Frank,

I ran into the same issue with my transmission swap. I simply trimmed the yoke back about 2" with a set of pipe cutters. 

Also had to trim back the shaft collar about 3/4", but everything worked out fine. Trimming the collar didn't effect the balance at all. :)

• Like 1

Good thing you dropped it off.

Is the 200R in the car presently? Is it the same dimension as the transmission it replaced as well?

My driveshaft guy prefers to get actual measurements whenever he makes a driveshaft, regardless of what was in there. He says 1/8" is his spec for length variation. Might be worth taking measurements before he builds one (or ask if he would like actual measurements).

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/app/webroot/img/File/how_to_measure_diagrams/b.html

• Like 1

Looks like a lot of stuff on that sheet, but it takes about 3 minutes to measure everything. Main thing is vehicle should be on the ground, or on jackstands with weight simulating being on the ground (rear axle NOT hanging).

• Like 1