Factory spot welds

Dtret

What is the best way to find the factory spot welds? Due to the rust I cannot see them. I used a wire brush on a drill to clean away the garbage but the rust has filled the dimples making them impossible to see or feel. Any special tool ideas or suggestions would be helpful. My goal is to not ruin the reusable panels. The picture is just one of the area’s I’m looking at. I want to learn and understand on the rusted junk before I go to the rust free body and start tearing that apart. Thanks 

011F74F9-6D20-45C5-8B61-86C11E265CA3.jpeg

An angle grinder with a wire wheel or cup brush would be my suggestion. A drill/brush isn't going to be powerful enough to remove all the surface debris to expose the spot welds. If you get it down to the metal, those spot welds should pop right out to you.

Sand blaster would work too, but may leave it all looking uniform. Going over it with the wire brush may polish it up enough to highlight the spot welds a little better

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, willie said:

Hey Dennis maybe you can rent one of those mobile sandblasting machines and do both cars at the same time to see where the spots are???

I have a mobile sandblaster. But I’m not going outside to use it. I showed pictures of my blasting mess on the 71. I don’t think she’d allow that again. And I’m not doing it in the garage. The 71 & 88 are in here so I have to be careful. 

25 minutes ago, willie said:

Do it on the grass on that 1/2 mile strip next to the driveway when the wind is blowing away from the house???  Oh and Karen is out shopping!!!   LOL

It’s cold out. And I’m lazy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Yep. And another wrinkle that is occurring now. Lol. 

It's heading here later today. I picked up a couple new snow removal items, looks like I may get to try them out.