70 Lower Trim Clips 10 piece set

Hello, I have all my 10 piece lower trim molding. And have a picture of the clips & how many of each type. The straight strips I know to use, but that would leave only 3 for each door, doesn't seem like enough. Then have 6 little clips that I don't know how they are used. Please advise.  Thanks, Wayne20230121_113322.thumb.jpg.79b8d7e97840e1235e59c6dee20a1ba7.jpg

20221105_133307.jpg

• Like 1

Those six bottom clips hold on the molding behind the rear wheels. You put them on the car and slip the molding down onto them and screw the molding tot he bottom of Quarter panel

• Like 2

The six v shaped ones go on the piece behind the rear tire ( 3 per side) they lock the top of the trim tight to the body and it’s get screwed on the bottom. See pictures ( two of three one in top center also). 

7EECDA69-F404-4764-B371-B3CAC93730E7.jpeg

62DCC627-5A30-41E3-97CB-211A200C437A.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Leghome said:

Those six bottom clips hold on the molding behind the rear wheels. You put them on the car and slip the molding down onto them and screw the molding tot he bottom of Quarter panel

I was typing while to posted. Lol. 

There are the ones behind the door. That will account for six ( 3 per side) I think the other 6 ( 3 per side) go on the fender, not sure. This one also has a hole in the door jamb for a screw that you will need to drill

794516AF-6BE1-4BC1-A9EB-01644AE722A9.jpeg

• Like 2

I have no holes in the rear quarter panel, or any for that manner. Might be kind of tough to locate and drill for those triangle ones on the rear quarter panel. There are lower holes in that rear trim at the bottom. The ones with the dovetail that slide into the side strips, how many should be in the door strip? The other 2 short strips one in the front looks like it only needs 2.  and the rear one only needs 1 because the rear has a 90^ bend that screws into the fender. What are the ones with the wire piece for? Front panel is easy, it has 4 studs and I made a template for that.

On the small strips they didn't make the cutout long enough to get the dovetail piece in. I will have to cut that a little longer. For the oval shaped studs I've determined they will press into a .500 dia. hole. Should I put something on them like JB Weld or just silicone?

I'm thinking just silicone in case I ever need to remove the door trim without ruining it. Thanks for all the info. does anyone have a template or dimensions for the little triangular clips for the rear quarter panel. Those will be the hardest to get in the right position.

Put the triangle clip into the trim and take a measurement. I don’t think the location (side to side) is as important as the height of the hole you drill. I can get you a measure off this car but how it is measured is going to be subject to indifference. So I don’t feel confident doing that. I looked in the book and didn’t see anything specific. 

For the rear most trim, fit it up into position where it sits the best, and the bottom attachment points look good. Then, I'd probably run a tape line horizontally across the top where the trim edge falls, on the car body.

Take the trim off, lay it face down on a soft surface & set those triangle clips in place on the trim where they belong. Measure from the top edge of the trim, to the clip attachment hole. Then, go to the car and measure down, from the edge of the tape you placed on the car earlier. Drill holes in your car at the 3 attachment points for those clips, and install.

• Like 6

I wish my car was here so I could look inside the trunk, on the quarter panel to see if the place where the screws would come through would be visible.  I am guessing they must come through too low to see or feel them from inside the trunk because I am sure I would have tried to impale one of my fingers on the sharp tip of the screw while trying to clean out that area.  If it was possible to see on your Monte, from inside the trunk where those holes had been it may help you locate the proper location.

rob

Thanks everyone. I like the laying of the tape on the car along the top of the trim and measuring down. I'm also going to call where I bought the trim and ask them to send me more of the plastic dovetail pieces. They didn't send me enough. 

• Like 1

I seem to remember, with that 10 piece kit, that I had to tweak those 2 rear trim pieces a bit. The curvature of the leading edge needed a little help, and a couple of sharp edges from the stamping had to be sanded down as well, otherwise they would have dug into the paint.  Just something to watch out for, so they fit nice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dtret said:

There’s a picture from the inside of the trunk. The photo has two of three. 

2D5ACF16-0736-437D-918B-79BEA984C5D7.jpeg

Thanks Dennis!! It's funny I have never snagged one of those screw tips and ripped open a cut on my hand or finger.

rob 

10 hours ago, Dtret said:

Wayne, so, looking at the picture Dennis posted from the inside of his trunk makes me think you could maybe easily see the original location of where those screws had been.  I would start there.

rob

33 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Thanks Dennis!! It's funny I have never snagged one of those screw tips and ripped open a cut on my hand or finger.

rob 

I’ll say that I’m sorry, ahead of time. Now that I pointed them out you’re going to snag them every time. And blame me. Lol. Better wear gloves. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dtret said:

I’ll say that I’m sorry, ahead of time. Now that I pointed them out you’re going to snag them every time. And blame me. Lol. Better wear gloves. 

I was thinking the same thing Dennis, LOL! 😂

Here's my front trim piece with the reflector to take the place of the side marker lights. will be doing red for the rear quarter panel trim. I have a question. For the door molding strips should I make them flush with the bottom of the door, or have them up slightly because of the radius on the bottom edge of door? The door strips are just over 2" wide with the studs in the middle. I was thinking of making a drill jig with a 90^ lip and a guide hole 1.06 up from the bottom of the lip and hold it against the bottom of the door for spotting each hole. That would put the bottom of the trim .06 above the bottom of the door. Good Idea? Send me some feedback. Thanks, Wayne

20230122_091851.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 3:18 PM, jft69z said:

For the rear most trim, fit it up into position where it sits the best, and the bottom attachment points look good. Then, I'd probably run a tape line horizontally across the top where the trim edge falls, on the car body.

Take the trim off, lay it face down on a soft surface & set those triangle clips in place on the trim where they belong. Measure from the top edge of the trim, to the clip attachment hole. Then, go to the car and measure down, from the edge of the tape you placed on the car earlier. Drill holes in your car at the 3 attachment points for those clips, and install.

This is exactly what I did for my 70 Monte after it was painted. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Canuck said:

This is exactly what I did for my 70 Monte after it was painted. 

Pretty much seems like the most logical way to do it, to me. No different than doing collision work and having to replace trim/emblems that were either double-sided taped on, or replacing body panels and having to figure it out.

• Like 2