Wiper fluid monitoring

Dtret

Doing some wiring repair today. I’m trying to find out where the main wire connects. Nothing definitive in the books. Two wires come off the jug, the white goes to ground and the black w/ purple tracer is in question. I’ve found 3 different options. 1. Hook to horn relay, the wire is way to long for that. 2. Scotch lock connector to black wire on wiper motor. 3. Run back through firewall to fuse box, no holes for that. So I’m thinking option 2. But there is a plug right by the wiper motor plugs that is black with purple tracer. I didn’t think it was a plug and play option. But I also cannot find a use for that plug. Pictures attached. If someone has this option let me know. Thanks   If I can put an end on the wire that would be great. 

3031F672-B7DB-42A5-AF3B-5FF05C4732DB.jpeg

26DA8154-83FF-46A6-BA92-22F01F9FF7A0.jpeg

2322FA88-B93B-4DD7-811F-360E4B6C4FC0.jpeg

I found this, may give some insight? I'll check the Fisher Body & Assembly manuals in a bit.

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/windshield-washer-fluid-level-monitor.372041/

EDIT: If you have a 1970 Factory Assembly manual, go to option CD2, page 518 -523.

Couldn't find anything in Fisher Body & Service manuals.

Dennis, I did some research on the extra wire a while ago. What we came up with, was there is a jumper wire that goes to the idle control solenoid from that connector.  Other forum members and I could never prove that the 1970 454 ever used that solenoid. Willie lent me a bracket that we thought would work for our cars. Dan Janes (overdrive) fabricated a bracket and I found a solenoid on line but it really didn't help.  I have it and the harness if you need them. I hope that helps

Dennis, on mine, one of the wires goes to the wiper motor assembly plug.  The washer bottle monitor is only active when the wiper motor is running.

rob

8 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Dennis, on mine, one of the wires goes to the wiper motor assembly plug.  The washer bottle monitor is only active when the wiper motor is running.

rob

Thanks Rob. If you happen to get out to the car in the near future snap me a picture, or I will check it out in Carlisle. 

I have to go to the storage garage soon to pick up a set of metal shelves to take out to install at my son's house.  I will try ro remember to look when I go there.

rob

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

I have to go to the storage garage soon to pick up a set of metal shelves to take out to install at my son's house.  I will try ro remember to look when I go there.

rob

Thanks. No rush really. I can look when we’re in Carlisle. 

On mine, the previous owner rerouted the washer lines to a new aftermarket pump. But he used the same wiring harness. 

The black/purple wire ties into the power to the washer wire... looks like a factory connection,(like a rubber wrap) and the low fluid light comes on only when I turn on the wipers. 

Seeing as it was only on the '70's, I'm wondering if it wasn't and engineering afterthought ??

Wires to wash bottle989666341_1bluewireandblackwirewithyellowtrace.thumb.jpg.40edceb96ca08f6e6ffdc3818219bc87.jpgWir1366272632_2bluewireandblackwirewithyellowtraceatwashbottlelamp.thumb.jpg.538e6937977bfabbbc46c86ce6d48246.jpgWires at lamp1974157747_3intermediateplugwherewiresgotobottle.thumb.jpg.7cc0b17e7ee1d7b8e1fd2e78a382ccd7.jpgWires at intermediate plug

2072421646_4Bluewireintointermediateplug.thumb.jpg.7b6266188f6101a45f72b5457ab1ce77.jpgBlue wire at intermediate plug

1132365081_5blackwirewithyellowtraceintointermediateplug.thumb.jpg.8cc1ccac1ab2437f950a75d580c9718b.jpgBlack wire awith yellow trace at intermediate plug

18295681_6the2wiresfromintermediateplugtowashmotorplug.thumb.jpg.0cc6c36fa0733bd42fc275652cbf987f.jpgWires from intermediate plug to the  wiper motor plug

• Like 4

On 1/23/2023 at 1:15 PM, Scott S. said:

Seeing as it was only on the '70's, I'm wondering if it wasn't and engineering afterthought ??

No, it wasn't an afterthought.  This option and the fiber optic light monitoring option was also available on other Chevrolet models and maybe other GM cars but I think after 70 models it was discontinued with Chevrolets.  I do know it continued with caddy's

rob

• Like 1

Rob, thanks again for the pictures. Apparently you have the desired plug and play setup. I didn’t get so lucky. I have the scotchlock edition, not so desirable. But the wire wasn’t spliced into the harness, it is attached at the wiper motor. Ugh. 

4AC0704A-39B9-4A53-AA24-D1C674B524CA.jpeg

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Grant MacPherson said:

I read somewhere , maybe even this site that the scotchlock version was the dealer installed one. That was how my 70 was and it is not on the build sheet so was added later by someone.

Maybe it depended on which plant assembled the car ???

Also interesting to add, the wires coming out of the washer bottle light plug are different than Rob’s. It still has two but one is white and short, which has a ground that just slides on the fender ridge, and the long black w/ pink tracer that goes up to the wiper motor. 

57 minutes ago, Dtret said:

Also interesting to add, the wires coming out of the washer bottle light plug are different than Rob’s. It still has two but one is white and short, which has a ground that just slides on the fender ridge, and the long black w/ pink tracer that goes up to the wiper motor. 

Possible evidence it was dealer installed maybe? Scotchlock connector, easiest way to wire the reservoir (time is money, tech did it quickest way possible)?

• Like 2

Very possible dealer install. But I’m going to go the same direction, minus the scotch lock, something like the photo attached but I need to find it in old school connections so it looks correct. 

6A1D4617-59C9-4AFB-AD78-F9253A7354DD.png

6A1D4617-59C9-4AFB-AD78-F9253A7354DD.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DragCat said:

I don't recall a Packard sitting in your shop 🤣

Lol, there's 'Packard' in the middle of the pack there, Mark 😁 

20230127_172044.jpg

20230127_172148.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

I don't know if it makes a difference, but it looks like mine has 3 wires at the cap. 

Washer1.jpeg

Washer2.jpeg

2 are the light bulb wiring the other is the fiberoptic to the interior indicator. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MC1of80 said:

Nice assortment indeed! 

Thanks, Tom. There's a LOT more in various other places, these were easy to take a picture of. Nearly 40 years in the Instrument/Electrical Industry, one tends to 'collect' a lot electrical terminals, zip ties, black tape, etc., etc., etc. 😁.

You know yourself, it's nice to have that stuff, "In Stock".

Below is some more of the smaller stuff I recently sorted, plus the hardware/Grade 8/Grade 5/Metric storage bins in the new building. Last week I started to add that third row of louvered racks for the bins to the right. Also the bottom pic part of just one wall of some more storage bins.

The basement...forget it, a crapload more terminals, fittings, parts, pieces, etc..

(That Doug Nash 5-Speed shown is available if anyone is interested, includes the Hurst Comp. Plus shifter too.)

20230106_135223.jpg

20230106_135530.jpg

20230127_190928.jpg

• Like 5