Factory paint option?

I’ve seen two very low mile 72 Montes with vinyl roof trim but the car is all one colour. Was this an option? Has anyone else seen this?

I did see a 71 Monte at a Western Meet that was the same way. It had the vinyl roof trim with the paint code 6767 indicating the lower and upper colours was classic copper.

Below is a photo and body tag of a 11,000 mile Monte that is Mojave Gold up and down. Note the code 6363 on the body tag.

6663FFAC-14C2-4328-927D-CD4A59C1866E.jpeg.62ba24b75049556a0aab18e7bfe0627f.jpeg

18EAC270-8739-42E8-B305-DFEFE3187308.jpeg.86a193de8f6d3873c7035b139b34bd13.jpeg

This one below just popped up on Facebook

6191E5A1-0E2D-42AA-9B0A-BCF829177AFA.thumb.png.f6872b59be2bb923018cc0fc7d4f95cb.png

• Like 3

I have never seen that at all.  My Original Monte was Desert Sand upper and lower and had double numbers of that paint code but didn't have the trim.

I can not shed any light on how that would happen  or why.

rob

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

I’ve seen two very low mile 72 Montes with vinyl roof trim but the car is all one colour. Was this an option? Has anyone else seen this?

I did see a 71 Monte at a Western Meet that was the same way. It had the vinyl roof trim with the paint code 6767 indicating the lower and upper colours was classic copper.

Below is a photo and body tag of a 11,000 mile Monte that is Mojave Gold up and down. Note the code 6363 on the body tag.

6663FFAC-14C2-4328-927D-CD4A59C1866E.jpeg.62ba24b75049556a0aab18e7bfe0627f.jpeg

18EAC270-8739-42E8-B305-DFEFE3187308.jpeg.86a193de8f6d3873c7035b139b34bd13.jpeg

This one below just popped up on Facebook

6191E5A1-0E2D-42AA-9B0A-BCF829177AFA.thumb.png.f6872b59be2bb923018cc0fc7d4f95cb.png

This first car at top of post was actually my 8,000 mile (Mojave Gold) 72 Monte.

I sold it to a fellow in British Columbia about 4 years ago when the odometer just turned to 11,000. 
I was going to make a post seeing if anyone knew why this very odd combination occurred? 

do know this car is 100% original: it sat in garage for 34 Years and was never touched. 

I was curious about a build sheet when I owned the car, but never wanted to disturb the originality by removing the back seat, etc. The car's a living time capsule...why mess with it? 

Jeff 70SS

• Like 4

“I was curious about a build sheet when I owned the car, but never wanted to disturb the originality by removing the back seat, etc. The car's a living time capsule...why mess with it? “

Jeff 70SS

Because removing the back seat hardly qualifies as disturbing the originality.  Particularly when a Build Sheet might be present to corroborate the authenticity of rare option(s). 

And now that I think of it, I remember seeing the original listing for this car. Quite a time capsule, indeed. 

Now call the dude you sold it to and have him poke around for a Build Sheet!

• Like 3

The Mojave gold car is not far from me and I have spoken with the owner a few times. I’ve never seen the car though. Being built in Canada, this car will not have a full build sheet. It may have the small slop of paper with the RPO codes but not sure if it has colour codes on it. With that said, Vintage Vehicle Services would have all the data on this car but someone needs to pay for that package.

While I agree with you, it hardly qualifies as disturbing the originality, there simply was no need to;

I also really didn't want to remove or disturb anything, bc it was an original find and I was selling it that way. Even though the car was like a brand new Monte with so few miles, there was nothing otherwise very special. 1972 350 2 bbl. no AC, no power options. 

Now, if this were an SS, or a Custom...then we're talking!

19 hours ago, Glen said:

“I was curious about a build sheet when I owned the car, but never wanted to disturb the originality by removing the back seat, etc. The car's a living time capsule...why mess with it? “

Jeff 70SS

Because removing the back seat hardly qualifies as disturbing the originality.  Particularly when a Build Sheet might be present to corroborate the authenticity of rare option(s). 

And now that I think of it, I remember seeing the original listing for this car. Quite a time capsule, indeed. 

Now call the dude you sold it to and have him poke around for a Build Sheet!

1 hour ago, Rare SS said:

While I agree with you, it hardly qualifies as disturbing the originality, there simply was no need to;

I also really didn't want to remove or disturb anything, bc it was an original find and I was selling it that way. Even though the car was like a brand new Monte with so few miles, there was nothing otherwise very special. 1972 350 2 bbl. no AC, no power options. 

Now, if this were an SS, or a Custom...then we're talking!

Makes sense when you dissect it this way. 

My car is scheduled for the body shop n mid March for rear window rust repair. As much as I like the look of the vinyl top, I'm considering painting the roof with a tan to match the top and reusing the trim. Paint is code 65, Orange Flame.

Eustis12-24.thumb.jpg.34807179107386c352d328c9ff72e399.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BobW said:

My car is scheduled for the body shop n mid March for rear window rust repair. As much as I like the look of the vinyl top, I'm considering painting the roof with a tan to match the top and reusing the trim. Paint is code 65, Orange Flame.

Eustis12-24.thumb.jpg.34807179107386c352d328c9ff72e399.jpg

That will look good!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Now that I own this 1972 Monte Carlo in question, I've been on the hunt for the line sheet to try to shed light on this paint/trim option.

I found it tonight!

The colour code is 6363 for Mohave Gold upper and lower. The sheet also has the code D99 for the roof trim. I was very excited to find this information tonight because even I still had some doubt even though everything looked factory on this car. I assume this option is very rare and  I hope the GM documents I have coming provide some info on the D99 code production.

No description available.

• Like 6

Congrats Aaron.  It has to make you wonder if that trim code was keyed in by accident.  Does make it a rare odd-ball car.

rob

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

Congrats Aaron.  It has to make you wonder if that trim code was keyed in by accident.  Does make it a rare odd-ball car.

rob

Not an error. From what I’ve read this was option was available in Canada. I know another member with a 71 that has the trim and is code 6767 for Classic Copper upper and lower.

2 hours ago, willie said:

Very nice Aaron!!  Although you found the line sheet, shouldn't you have a build sheet also in that rare baby!!!???

There are no build sheets in Canadian cars. These line sheets are what they used instead.

• Like 1

George at Vintage Vehicle Services Canada told me that some dealers figured out it was cheaper to order a car this way then install vinyl on the car at the dealer than it was to factory order the vinyl.

50 minutes ago, mon-tss said:

Yeah I think the D99 code is  the key to this Mistry.

NO Vinyl top car build sheets I have List that option; Just C08 Vinyl Top

Yes. My assumption is that if C08 was on there then the trim is obvious and no need to list D99 as it would be redundant. Same would go for the two-tone code. With that said, the D99 would only be on the sheet on a solid colour car with the trim.

• Like 3

Still surprising what you could do back in the day.

On a 70 Chevelle Vinyl Roof added $94.80, Don't know how much they saved after buying top, pulling all the chrome installing top. Doubt if they painted the mlgs to match .

Sounds like this one never got a top put on it.

• Like 1

There are no build sheets in Canadian cars. These line sheets are what they used instead.

See i learn something new here every day!!!   No sense in looking for a build sheet in one of my parts cars now. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Canuck said:

Now that I own this 1972 Monte Carlo in question, I've been on the hunt for the line sheet to try to shed light on this paint/trim option.

I found it tonight!

The colour code is 6363 for Mohave Gold upper and lower. The sheet also has the code D99 for the roof trim. I was very excited to find this information tonight because even I still had some doubt even though everything looked factory on this car. I assume this option is very rare and  I hope the GM documents I have coming provide some info on the D99 code production.

No description available.

Ok, since no one else asked… where in the car did you find it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Glen said:

Ok, since no one else asked… where in the car did you find it?

Upper portion of rear seat

DE7604FF-30AA-4479-8965-B7DAAE10EBF7.jpeg

56E59CD1-0CAD-47C7-B579-139D8AEDD9DB.jpeg

I reached out to a member in Canada that has a Canadian built 71 that is one colour with the trim. She’s been to a couple Western Meets with her car and remember seeing the paint code 6767 (classic copper) and she had the trim. I asked her to send me a photo of the body tag. No vinyl roof or two tone code and she has the factory trim. Her car is no longer classic copper but it is still all one colour.

image.thumb.jpeg.e3b0aac7492194f4403bb90ca55a763d.jpeg

522C4DFF-DFFF-4D1B-8FE0-FB4A804B13AE.jpeg

• Like 3