Lower door trim

On my 70 Monte Carlo should the lower door trim molding be flush with the bottom of the door, or be slightly above due to the radius on the bottom of the door edge? The trim is 2" wide with the studs on the center of the trim. I was thinking of milling a drill jig with a step to hold against the bottom of the door having a hole to spot drill located 1.06" from the step  this would locate the bottom of the trim . 06" up from the bottom of the door. I have no holes in the door.  The holes on each end will be for the threaded studs and the other holes will be. 500" and the oblong studs will press in tight. 

11 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Here's the spacing on mine, not a great picture but it's something.  I'd say if you have the rear piece on and front piece on set it up from there. My door trim and quater panel trim doesn't line up perfectly and I never noticed it before. 

Yep. The door gaps need to be set correctly first, then the lower trim should all line up in one continuous straight line. 

17 minutes ago, jft69z said:

Yep. The door gaps need to be set correctly first, then the lower trim should all line up in one continuous straight line. 

Yea my door gaps aren't perfect either, adjusting the hinges with the fenders on is kind of a pain, plus I think they are stuck from when I painted the door jams. Fenders will come off eventually to replace them just have other things going on before that.

1 hour ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Here's the spacing on mine, not a great picture but it's something.  I'd say if you have the rear piece on and front piece on set it up from there. My door trim and quater panel trim doesn't line up perfectly and I never noticed it before. 

In your picture your lower door trim looks like it's up a little bit from the bottom of the door. And the rocker panel trim looks flush with the top of the rocker panel. Should I put the rocker panel trim on first then the 2 small trim in front and back of the  door, then the lower door trim  I will still machine a drill jig to locate the holes on the door. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Whons said:

In your picture your lower door trim looks like it's up a little bit from the bottom of the door. And the rocker panel trim looks flush with the top of the rocker panel. Should I put the rocker panel trim on first then the 2 small trim in front and back of the  door, then the lower door trim  I will still machine a drill jig to locate the holes on the door. 

Yes it up just a little bit from the bottom.  All the holes on mine were there and pretty sure they were Factory holes as my car really doesn't have much rust on it. Sounds like you have a good plan.

I went out and measured the distance of the trims lower edge, to the bottom of the door. Looks like 0.060" is the number, as you mentioned earlier.