1971 4-speed at Barrett Jackson

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-CHEVROLET-MONTE-CARLO-265263

402 bench seat 4-speed. It has the SS rear bumper and trim which is odd. Also has the air compressor under the hood but it is the wrong tank. Maybe they parted out a 71 SS and put some parts on this car.

• Like 3

That is the special 71  402 4-speed that a friend of mine owned here in Pittsburgh.  He wanted me to own it and I told him when he was ready to sell it I would buy it.  He passed away about 2 years ago and his wife asked me to help her get a value his 4 classic cars, including this one and I did.  I suggested she also get them appraised and I told her I was interested in the Monte and her husband wanted me to buy it,

She did hire an appraiser and that appraiser contacted a friend about the Monte and she sold it out from under me without even a phone call to give me a chance to buy it.   Some here on the boards may remember me talking about it and the other 3 cars she needed to sell.  The Monte, an ElCamino, a 71 Malibu ragtop and a Tran-Am.  All of them 3 or 4 speed manual transmissions.

rob

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Rob. 

I had mentioned to Aaron today that I remembered this car from 2005/6 and that you you would know this car. It turns out that this is the Monte I remembered. I am sorry to hear that it got sold before you had the chance to purchase it. If I remember correctly your friend purchased it new with the ss trim.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Rob. 

I had mentioned to Aaron today that I remembered this car from 2005/6 and that you you would know this car. It turns out that this is the Monte I remembered. I am sorry to hear that it got sold before you had the chance to purchase it. If I remember correctly your friend purchased it new with the ss trim.

Vaughn,

No,  he did not purchase it new.  From what he told me, it was ordered for a GM Executive and ordered with the rear SS blacked out rear panel but without the SS badge in it and also ordered with the rubber bumper strip and air ride.  When I saw those things and the power windows, gauge package, 8-track and other things I figured it was his old car.

I can't wait to see what it sells for.  I am tempted to let her know what it brings at auction.....but I won't

rob

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MCfan said:

Forget the inconsiderate woman ... now's your chance to own it, Rob!  Good luck!

Dennis, Two years ago is just before these auction prices for Monte Carlo's started to drive the values up to crazy money.  I was going to offer her 32K if I would have been given the chance.  This is a very clean car and due to its condition and being so rare it will now bring big money at the auction....much more than I would be able to pay now.  I don't know where these auction bidders get their crazy money but I think this car will do well at auction because it is so rare.  Would I love to own it, YES!!!  Is it worth what it will bring at auction....NO!!!   I missed my window of opportunity.

At one time when my friend thought he had cancer of the pancreas he called me and told me he wanted me to help him find buyers for some of his cars, and wanted me to buy this Monte.  At that time I did not have the money to buy the Monte but sent him several different possible buyers for the car but they all got back to me saying he would not sell it to them.  When I called him and asked him why he would not sell it to them he told me that he was going to try to hold onto it until I could buy it.  He later contacted me and told me they had misdiagnosed him and he did not have cancer.  I met up with him at a cruise a year or so later and told him I was ready to buy the Monte and he said he was going to hold onto the Monte but I would always have first shot at buying it. 

At this point in time, I hope someone either pays way too much for it OR the guy who bought it from my friends widow isn't able to flip it for big money... 

rob 

• Like 3

Just now, 1970mcss said:

What do you all think this car is worth???

That's a tough call. It could very well be a factory 402 4-speed but there are some strange things on this car that raise questions and hurt the value in my opinion. I would pay more for it if it was factory correct. The rear black tail panel and bumper is just a story until it can be verified. Maybe it was a dealer installation. If anyone is there it would be great to see a copy of the build sheet. I don't think it will bring huge numbers.

• Like 2

Photos from Vaughn. It has the rear sway bar and rear shock protectors. If the Build sheet can verify it is a 402 4-speed as well as having the F41 suspension and load level system from the factory it is a uniquely optioned car. The build sheet was not available to be viewed.

F0976A36-C380-4B0D-A859-D2DC6A4DD5ED.jpeg

0F95FC98-A42A-46B0-8EDA-9264336D6686.jpeg

C704331D-20C3-4FB5-BA22-2E63AB5D0289.jpeg

90BB9899-FFEA-4B90-96A9-B4FF2CE51011.jpeg

364DBEC2-7A6D-417C-8723-B7337C956442.jpeg

E5D45DDA-CFD9-4960-9526-444B60A8AA24.jpeg

• Like 3

If I was a serious buyer and these options can be verified then I agree it is a very special car. I would have to see the engine and trans numbers as well as the build sheet.

If I remember correctly, when I looked at the car and the documentation the build sheet did list the suspension, including the air suspension but if I remember correctly it did not list the SS bumper strip and the blacked out panel between the trunk and bumper.  But, according to my friend this car had been ordered for a GM Executive who wanted the 402 4-speed but also wanted the SS items.  I can only speculate that there would either be no way to code those two things on the build sheet  OR they were added to the car prior to it being delivered to the executive by a dealer.  

No matter what, this is a special car.  I knew the owner here in Pittsburgh for around 20 years.  This car was at our Eastern Meet in Greensburg, PA which was the joint meet I planned in conjunction with the NMCOA.  The owner here in Pittsburgh knew my love for  these Monte's from the years I knew him and it is why he wanted me to buy it.  I only wish I could have purchased it when he was still alive.  Once he passed away his wife may not have known his desire for me to buy it.  OH Well.... I need to stop crying in my beer and Whining in my wine.  It isn't mine and now I will never be able to own it.  I will still love my Monte and Model A and be happy with driving them.....(That 4-speed would have been fun to drive....

\I will have to settle for driving my 200CI, 40 HP 3-Speed Manual Transmission Model A Ford....If I  can get Where there is a will there is a way.

rob

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Photos from Vaughn. It has the rear sway bar and rear shock protectors. If the Build sheet can verify it is a 402 4-speed as well as having the F41 suspension and load level system from the factory it is a uniquely optioned car. The build sheet was not available to be viewed.

F0976A36-C380-4B0D-A859-D2DC6A4DD5ED.jpeg

0F95FC98-A42A-46B0-8EDA-9264336D6686.jpeg

C704331D-20C3-4FB5-BA22-2E63AB5D0289.jpeg

90BB9899-FFEA-4B90-96A9-B4FF2CE51011.jpeg

364DBEC2-7A6D-417C-8723-B7337C956442.jpeg

E5D45DDA-CFD9-4960-9526-444B60A8AA24.jpeg

So, does that mean the Wednesday sale is TODAY or a future Wednesday?

rob

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

OH Well.... I need to stop crying in my beer and Whining in my wine.  It isn't mine and now I will never be able to own it.  I will still love my Monte and Model A and be happy with driving them.....(That 4-speed would have been fun to drive....

I'm sure a lot of us have lost out on a ride in the past, I know ive shed a tear or two in a beer 🤣 I just chalk it up to some things are just not aligned with the stars in the universe 🙃 

• Like 1