1971 4-speed at Barrett Jackson

6 minutes ago, 1970mcss said:

I thought about registering but couldn't do it. If it's the real deal it's a good buy. I was thinking 60-70k. I hope a member bought it. The listing on barrett jackson shows it sold for 55k

That $55k includes the buyer’s premium.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John S said:

$50,000 sold.

For an unrestored car it is a very solid car.  I bet when the guy bought it from my friends wife he was thinking he would be able to flip it for more than that.  

rob

27 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

For an unrestored car it is a very solid car.  I bet when the guy bought it from my friends wife he was thinking he would be able to flip it for more than that.  

rob

I'm not a fan of flippers 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DragCat said:

I'm not a fan of flippers 

I agree.  On the down side, they prevent people who are very interested in finding a good deal by buying vehicles up, preventing us from grabbing the deal and then they do minor cheap upgrades and sell at a much higher price which drives the values up and putting cars even more out of reach.

On the plus side, it makes the ones we already own more valuable.  

rob

• Like 3

I see it a lot at these auctions where the price will stall and then they’ll stop the bidding and step in to build up the car to try to generate more money. All that seems to do is reduce the ability of the average person to buy the car they want and make it available only to those who are wealthy enough to afford it. Chances are those who can afford. It are only there to possibly flip it in the future whereas the average guy has a genuine interest in the car and wants to use it for what it was designed for, to drive.

John S 

• Like 2

Does anyone know the VIN or at least the last 6 of the VIN.  I'm 99.9 % certain that I owned this car from 1995 - 2001, when I lived in Pittsburgh.  I added the MSD ignition with the 6A Box mounted to the inner fender. I also swapped the intake for an edelbrock and 750 dual feed holley.  I kept all the original parts and the provided them to buyer and the time of sale. I still have a copy of the build sheet and can verify the car was a GM.9 executive order out of North Dakota.  The Monte Carlo also had 3.31 positraction rear and rear window defogger.  I had the seats re -upholstered and had to replace the circuit board for the gauge cluster as there was a hole worn through it and somebody tried to jumper across the hole.  I bought the Monte from a man in Texas, Jon Copeland in October of 1995.  The car was restored before his ownership and he added the SS rear panel and bumper.  I replaced the original bumper at some point and the tail light trim.  If memory serves me correctly, I recall the car had 68,000 when i sold it in 2001. The purchaser was from Castle Shannon PA and worked somewhere in McKees Rocks.   According to the owner, before me, this car was believed to be the last 402 4 speed assembled. Lastly, I provided the window sticker and build sheet at the time of sale and can't see there being another 402 4 speed in Ascot Blue with the SS rear panel and the MSD as it was after my installation.  The Monte was a pleasure to drive and fun with the 300 HP engine and the M20 4 speed.   Dave

• Like 8

12 hours ago, Dave Gardner said:

Does anyone know the VIN or at least the last 6 of the VIN.  I'm 99.9 % certain that I owned this car from 1995 - 2001, when I lived in Pittsburgh.  I added the MSD ignition with the 6A Box mounted to the inner fender. I also swapped the intake for an edelbrock and 750 dual feed holley.  I kept all the original parts and the provided them to buyer and the time of sale. I still have a copy of the build sheet and can verify the car was a GM.9 executive order out of North Dakota.  The Monte Carlo also had 3.31 positraction rear and rear window defogger.  I had the seats re -upholstered and had to replace the circuit board for the gauge cluster as there was a hole worn through it and somebody tried to jumper across the hole.  I bought the Monte from a man in Texas, Jon Copeland in October of 1995.  The car was restored before his ownership and he added the SS rear panel and bumper.  I replaced the original bumper at some point and the tail light trim.  If memory serves me correctly, I recall the car had 68,000 when i sold it in 2001. The purchaser was from Castle Shannon PA and worked somewhere in McKees Rocks.   According to the owner, before me, this car was believed to be the last 402 4 speed assembled. Lastly, I provided the window sticker and build sheet at the time of sale and can't see there being another 402 4 speed in Ascot Blue with the SS rear panel and the MSD as it was after my installation.  The Monte was a pleasure to drive and fun with the 300 HP engine and the M20 4 speed.   Dave

Dave, that is the same Monte. 

rob

Monte Carlos seemed to be quite popular with the Chevy Ex's. Why not? I have a few build sheets for company cars I think they are all SS cars also.

Seems like barrett Jackson has lost some of it's appeal maybe the weekend cars will be better but not a lot of upper end stuff so far.

12 hours ago, Dave Gardner said:

Dave, thanks for coming forward with all of that interesting historical information on this unusual Monte! Rob has confirmed that the one just sold by BJ is the same one you owned previously. Assuming you can believe its prior owner to you, the source of the black tail panel and SS rear bumper was apparently neither the factory nor an original dealer installation.

My observation from many descriptions of finds of "rare/unusual" Montes on this site is that they often have a history of multiple owners who incorporated their personal preferences, just as you did - a completely natural thing to do.  I plead ignorance to what a GM.9 Executive Order was or how radically it could be configured.  About four years ago, one of our members bought a gold/white '70 SS that was allegedly built for a GM executive and it had nearly every option available (at that time) from the factory, but claims of non-standard configurations coming from the factory are highly suspect, IMO.  Even the only known '70 SS with an LS6 (currently owned by Tim Pestinger) was a Dick Harrell conversion, not a factory exception. 

In any case, I certainly agree with you on the enjoyment of driving a 402/4 speed first gen Monte.  I get to drive mine at least 3 times a week while I am in SW FL during the winter months.  It's not for sale ... 🙂

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Dave Gardner said:

Dave,

Thank you so much for all of the information you were able to contribute to this thread.

You are correct, Brian still had the the original intake and carb for this car.   I was not aware the car had been restored prior to you and Brian owning itI am not sure if the original air cleaner was there or not because when I went to his house to try to give his wife an approximate value of the car I did not see it on the shelf with the intake and carb..  Brian did not take this car out very often so the mileage had not changed much from the time you sold it to him.

You are correct on where he worked and lived.  I visited his house and the area where he worked.  He even stored one or two of his cars in McKees Rocks where he worked.  When I went to look at the 4 cars, for his wife, the only real flaw I saw in the Monte was with the vinyl roof.  It was not a major flaw but I am not sure if it could have been corrected without replacing the entire top. The flaw was in that the vinyl had shrunk enough to pull away from the top trim in one back corner and exposed the paint between the vinyl material and the trim piece.

In the years I knew him, he had several health issues.  At one point in time he asked me to help him sell his cars so his wife would not have to be burdened with selling them once he passed away.  At that time it was suspected he had cancer but as it turned out it was not cancer although later he they did find he had cancer but that is not what he died from.

Now, all that said, what brought you to our site.  Have you bought another Monte?   Hopefully you have, they tend to get into your blood.  If not, you will always be able to say you owned one of the most rare Monte's out there.  I am not sure if it is possible to determine if his was the last 71 402 4-Speed or not.  One other thing, I thought the build sheet had indicated Mulsanne Blue, not Ascot Blue but they were both very close in color.  

rob

• Like 5

As has been said, thank you Dave for sharing your history with this rare Monte. I can confirm that the vin number supplied by the auction house on their website is correct. I have some pictures of the car from yesterday. I can confirm that the body tag does indicate code 24 for paint, Ascot Blue. Seeing the car outside in the daylight it sure does look like Mulsanne Blue. Maybe the paint was changed during the restoration years ago.  the body tag was held in place by one rivet only.

The car did have rear defrost and dual rear speakers.

• Like 1

Hi all, I've attached a copy of the build sheet below for the '71 4 speed 402 Monte that recently sold at Barrett Jackson.  I owned this vehicle from 1995 to 2001. The owner before me, Jon Copeland, Dallas/Fort Worth area, installed the rear SS Black panel and the rear bumper. Jon, had sent me pictures of this Monte Carlo after I contacted him through his Hemmings Ad.  He sent a few pictures of the car and at that time there was no SS panel in place. When I flew into Dallas to pick up the car, the rear panel treat ment is in place and Jon informed me that he had these parts installed and that they were valuable and could easily be removed if I wanted them off. The black SS panel looked awesome on this car and set off the car with the black vinyl top. This car was a GM Executive order vehicle out of Davis Chevy in Bismarck ND.  She was equipped very well, 402 300hp, advertised by Chevrolet as a 400 CID with that designation on the original air cleaner assembly.  PS, PB, Tilt, AC, R Defog, 3.31 12 bolt Posi, 4 spoke sport wheel, AM 8 track, dual chrome side mirrors, F-41 suspension, super - lift suspension.  The air lift never functioned when I owned it, the rear shocks were standard, but the air lines were still there.  I added the MSD system, edelbrock intake, painted and the 750 dual feed Holley.  The AC Compressor was also bad when I bought her.  She also had electrical issues due to the gauge circuit board had a hole worn through it and someone attempted to jumper the wires across the hole. I replaced the printed circuit panel, added stainless dual exhaust, replaced all 10 lower trim mouldings, the taillight mouldings, and installed a new front bumper.  I had RED's Auto on Babcock Blvd.  Pittsburgh Re - Upholster the Seats. She might have an aftermarket Blue colored flex fan on there as well, as I believe I swapped it in there.  There was also a bit of black overspray or undercoating around the passenger headlight area that stubbornly remained attached to the paint against my tender efforts to remove it.  A truly beautiful, great driving ride.  I moved to MI in 2016.  Thanks, Dave

IMG_8081.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks for responding guys, Rob thanks for the details. Forgot to mention, the car was fully restored prior to my ownership, It was done very well, and still looks like it did when I owned it. Pretty sure there was a shrunken area of the vinyl top way back then.  It was mentioned to me at the time of purchase, that the paint was really close to the original Ascot Blue, the original color, the new paint would really turn darker and even displayed shades of purple at night or in a certain type of light.  I did give Brian the original intake, quadrajet, valve covers, front bumper, and the original lower and tail light mouldings.  When i had the car' I frequented many local car shows and always enjoyed the reactions. "Thats a 402!"  Whoa!  It's a 4 speed!   When did you put the 4 - speed in?  Answered them politely, the GM factory installed it in 1970.  I'd show them the build sheet, as well.  It was always the older guys that knew what this car was!  I could have charged a fee to allow show attendees that wanted to put 4 speeds in their Monte Carlos as I would find them deeply investigated the clutch assembly and how it connected to the frame. Many had tried to use parts from Chevelle's unsuccessfully.  I used to attend the Midway Cruise in Beaver PA.  I worked as a PGA Club Professional at Shannopin CC in Ben Avon Heights, and Montour Heights CC, in Coraopolis during the time I owned the Monte Carlo.  A friend of mine that is still in Pittsburgh sent me a clip of the BJ auction and upon looking at it I knew this my old Monte.  I always wondered, how the car was doing. I am very happy to see it is doing quite well! My friend knew this car as well and suspected it was my old ride.  Great to chat. Thanks for responding.   I no longer own any MC's but had a '71 SS 454 my first car, a '73, '74, '75 all swivel bucket cars and bought an '87 Aerocoupe from Crivelli Chevrolet in McKees Rocks.  Great looking car, but was a smoker from day 1, many problems, but I enjoyed it anyway.  My son is 35 and owns a bucket seat '76 Monte Carlo certainly due to the exposure he had while growing up.  It is equipped with the 400 small block engine.  Anyone know how many of those were built. Cheers,  Dave

• Like 3

What a wonderful history on this car. 

Many thanks to those who have provided this very interesting background. 

A very special car with a fantastic life, again thanks to everyone who has shared their own experiences with this ride !!!

• Like 1