Gas Overflow

KJQ

On newer, 'emission' controlled cars it's usually because the gas tank vent valve has failed close, thus not giving that displaced air any place to go.

A 1972 Monte has a vented gas tank, but not anything like the systems in newer cars, may be worth looking into though. Is it possible something is blocking the filler neck? Critter, rag, sabotage, etc... I'd steer more towards that initially, based on what you're saying, especially with a gas can (less volume and flow than a gas pump, but still overflows).

Sometimes there are what looks like ribs in there, from the bends/kinks in the tubing. Can you take a picture?

Not something I've seen before. Maybe someone put it in there a long time ago to prevent vandalism? 

How long have you owned the car, who owned it prior, etc.

• Like 1

It may be hard to remove, if the spring is expanded out. May have to twist it backwards, to 'screw' it out. 

If it's always been in there though, with no trouble...hmmm

Just now, FrankOC said:

I recall that the springs were a popular anti-siphon measure back in the 70’s.

Yeah, the 1974 gas crisis 🤑

• Like 1

I would have thought removing the anti-siphon spring would have fixed your issue.  It seems something has to be blocking the filler neck.  Due to it being a gas tank, I'm not sure if a camera can be put down there, without risking a fire, to see if anything else is down there.

rob

• Like 1

72's have 3 vents on the tank I think. One on each end, one near the middle. Do you still have the charcoal canister and all the original emissions equipment? 

If you have access to a borescope, you could look down the neck like Rob is suggesting,  but it looks pretty clear. I was figuring a jerk shoved a potato down there, or some 'Great Stuff" expanding foam...good way to immobilize, (especially up a tailpipe with a 3 foot extension tube...stealthy)

When I get home later (dinner at gf's parents), I'll put up a picture of the gas tank and fume canister behind the back seat. It's here somewhere if you search though, unless somebody else directs you to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJQ said:

Was able to remove the spring and put some gas in with the gas can..but then the overflow happened again. 99.9% sure the tank is not full...thoughts?

Silly question, but, Could it be full?  The 70 Monte Carlo doesn't have any vents on the tank other than the filler neck with a vented cap. The filler neck for a 71+72 are of the same size and dimension and no obstructions in the neck. Just 2 outboard, 1 on each end of the tank for emissions purposes. 

• Like 2

Here are some diagrams of the fuel tank connections. For your 1972, you'll see 3 lines come from the fuel tank going to the vapor separator, then the 'Vapor Pipe' from the separator going up to the front charcoal canister. If someone capped off the one going up to the front, that would effectively block off those 3 vent lines. Would that cause a condition as you're experiencing, I don't know, doubtful...

The 1970 appears to have a standalone vent/surge connection on the right side (item # 10), according to factory diagrams.

Unless those vent tubes are plugged, and causing the problem, the only other reasonable suspect can be a restriction further down in the filler neck, which is hard to believe considering that spring you removed should have stopped it. 

1972 Fuel Tank:

72 vapor canister lines-1red.jpg

1970 Fuel Tank:

70 fuel tank lines.JPG

72 vapor canister lines.pdf 70 fuel tank lines.pdf

• Like 2

I have noticed when I put gas in mine if the nozzle is at an angle it will sometimes kick off as opposed to if I have it straight up. It usually will kick off also when filling it up before it's completely full, it can take a dollar or two more after clicking off but I only do that if I'm going to use the gas right away(like a trip) because gas does expand especially in the summer due to high temperatures. 

• Like 1

Steve Lavoie, You just reminded me of the gas that would run all over the driveway, in the hot summer, from my dad's 62 Pontiac Catalina.

I would put a gas can under it to catch the runoff and use that for my mini bike that I made back in 67.

GOOD TIMES!!

Sorry, off subject....................

1967 Mini Bike Bruce_1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, stangeba said:

Steve Lavoie, You just reminded me of the gas that would run all over the driveway, in the hot summer, from my dad's 62 Pontiac Catalina.

I would put a gas can under it to catch the runoff and use that for my mini bike that I made back in 67.

GOOD TIMES!!

That's not a mini bike that's a Maxie bike 🤣 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/30/2023 at 2:35 PM, stangeba said:

GOOD TIMES!!

And here's how it starts eh Bruce? 🤣🤣🤣

FB_IMG_1675218194520.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...