distributor woes

so I've gone back and forth between points and a magnetic pickup keeping the original look.   unfortunately either way go it works for a while then just gets unreliable.

got a sbc 400 and was wondering what disributor I should replace the current one with. 

I'm thinking HEI, i know I'll have to do a conversion or just use a relay to provide the 12v.

any suggestions on an HEI that'll fit?  and hopefully reliable. 

Have the pertronix conversion in a 69 GTO for at least 17yrs with no issues and in my 71 402 Monte (Barn Find) for 3 and still going. 

Also have an MSD distributor and 6al in Big Red, my 70 SS Monte since 2015. Also our 355 small block 71 Monte, aka COVID Monte has an MSD/6al combo that has been used in other vehicles since the mid 90s. 

• Like 2

I'm still all stock but I thought about this modification several times:

https://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

Or this:

My Brothers old 1963 Triumph TR-3B, now owned by his son, went through an entire frame off restoration about a year ago. One change was he had Pertronix added to the dist (and changed to (-) neg ground). 

He didn't drive it that much when it stopped running. Replaced the pertronix with a new one and it again stopped running soon after the repair. One possible cause, we found out, was he still was using solid copper spark plug wires. He found that is a NO NO!

Hope it runs for a long time now with proper wires.

2 hours ago, stangeba said:

I'm still all stock but I thought about this modification several times:

https://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

Bruce in looking at the pictures in that link....what the heck is with the pictures of the "Bite"  and surgery pictures from the bite.  I wonder what kind of bite it was.

rob

thanks for the info guys.   so I'll need to look closely at everything.

i did have an idea about getting an HEI for a 75 chevy.  got a book called "Motor Auto Repair Manual 1976 39th Edition" came with the Monte.

it's a general repair book for all sorts of cars,  which is pretty cool.   Grandpa had everything for the Monte marked and what not.

Anyways in the igintion timing column in '75 everything turns to Figure I for chevys.  Turns out it's a HEI figure.

so maybe just getting some oem replacement stuff from rockauto for a 75 Monte may work.  i use that site to keep my truck and the grocery getter going.   Hasn't really let me down, except for a couple dealer only parts. 

So new HEI distributor, new plug wires, and maybe an aircleaner all for a 75.  probably not, i bet they only have filters.  so I'll need to find an aircleaner that fits a 2bbl.

thanks again for ideas and just generally letting me work through my thought processes too.

• 2 weeks later...