Factory black steel wheels for full wheel covers (non-ss)

SS Monte Carlo came standard with 15x6 steel wheels and wheel covers. The 15x7 rally wheels were optional.

All Monte Carlos came with the standard 15x6 steel wheels and covers. The 15x7 rally wheel was optional on all models.

The ONLY 15x7 steel wheel was offered in 71 and 72 for the PO2 wheel cover option. These wheels were standard on the 72 Monte Carlo Custom. 

• Like 2

Kevin, as I told you when you called me.... the best and fastest way to get this information would be here on the website.  I had told you pretty much what was said here but I wanted to be sure my thinking was correct.

Other people responding.... Kevin is looking for an original look on his car and also needs the proper size tires for an original tire size and height so if someone can suggest the correct crossover size from the original factory tire size.  Kevin is also trying to decide upon a standard Classic/Plain Jane cap or the color keyed cap.  

rob

• Like 1

If i can find a set of 15x6 black steel wheels.... is 225-70-15 the correct size equivalent?

And conversely if i decide on a 15x7 rally.... will those same 225 70 15s be correct?    Or did they use different size tires depending on wheel width?

If so, i am going to go ahead and order this set of tires before i even have wheels

• Like 1

I also wonder if i buy a set of easily available 15x6 rally wheels just to replicate the exact look (when covered up by a full wheel cover) instead of trying claw and scratch around to find the harder to find black steel wheels... if they would be the right stance, like offset/backspacing as stock

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

SS Monte Carlo came standard with 15x6 steel wheels and wheel covers. The 15x7 rally wheels were optional.

If this statement is true (and it may be), our Technical Info article "Is it a real SS?" needs to be corrected in at least two places.

"The 1970 Monte Carlo brochure reads as follows for the SS454 model:
Monte Carlo SS454 includes a 360-hp Turbo-Jet 454 V8, Automatic Level Control, G70 x 15 wide-oval white stripe tires with 7”-wide rim wheels, heavy duty chassis components and SS exterior identification."

and ...

2. 15X7 Rims

In 1970 the PH1 - 15" x 7" rims with wheel covers were standard with the SS454 package. Other wheel covers and rally wheels were optional. In 1971 the ZJ7 - 7" x 15" Rally wheels were part of the SS454 package.

The Build Sheet for the '70 SS I owned shows the standard PH1 (15x7) wheels with PA3 Special Wheel Covers.  Another Build Sheet for a '70 SS that I have seen shows the optional RPO ZJ7 15x7 Rally Wheels which is also consistent with our current article above.

If there is factory documentation to the contrary, we should probably consider updating our article.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

All Monte Carlos came with the standard 15x6 steel wheels and covers. The 15x7 rally wheel was optional on all models.

The ONLY 15x7 steel wheel was offered in 71 and 72 for the PO2 wheel cover option. These wheels were standard on the 72 Monte Carlo Custom. 

My 70 I ordered in September of 69 came with 15 X 7 steel weeks because I ordered G70 sized tires

18 hours ago, Kevin Wiles said:

If i can find a set of 15x6 black steel wheels.... is 225-70-15 the correct size equivalent?

And conversely if i decide on a 15x7 rally.... will those same 225 70 15s be correct?    Or did they use different size tires depending on wheel width?

If so, i am going to go ahead and order this set of tires before i even have wheels

You could get either the G78-15 or the G70-15 with 15x7 wheels. My 1970 Monte came with 15x7 rallys and G78-15 tires.

Per the chart below the G78-15 would be similar to a 215/75-15 and a G70-15 would be similar to a 225/70-15.

A90DD310-F362-4452-97F4-3BA64731E73B.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 714024SPEED said:

On our Barn find Monte we have 15x7 rally wheels and when we feel we want a different look the P02 hubcaps go right on and no one can tell the Rally's are underneath.

I have done that too.  I usually run with my Rallies but also have a full set of the color keyed Astro Blue and a full set of the Classic Plain Jane Caps

rob

• Like 3