Original Air Cleaner Lid Label

There is an interesting discussion on Air Cleaners currently that I didn't want to disturb, so... 

I have a question about the proper OEM top lid decal for the different years and engines.

It's been a long time but I think I remember my 71 350 4BBL from Canada DIDN'T have one at all.

I remember adding a replacement decal after repainting my current air cleaner.

I also added an extra "snorkel" to the driver's side for fun back in 71. I also painted it in very shiney DuPont IMRON, so I know that's wrong also.

monte engine 1.JPG

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, stangeba said:

I also painted it in very shiny DuPont IMRON, 

Because the paint was free 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Dah......

My wheels were blasted then dipped in an electrocoat primer or (E-Coat) then sprayed with a (new at the time) waterborne BC/CC! Also all free.

But the downside, I was 52 when they closed the lab and decided they did not need me anymore. 

Word to the young people out there, SAVE YOUR MONEY!

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, stangeba said:

But the downside, I was 52 when they closed the lab and decided they did not need me anymore. 

Word to the young people out there, SAVE YOUR MONEY!

I was 40 when they (DuPont) closed our half of the Plant. We made a product that was used in the manufacture of Spandex & Lycra, among other things. The whole textile industry in the US was vanishing at the time and going overseas, killed off the need for our products. Around 176 of us ended up on the street, though my seniority would have let me stay in a crappy production job. Just got a mortgage a few years earlier too.

Luckily, I found a better job. Good thing too, a couple of years ago, they closed the rest of the plant and I would have missed the numbers for a retirement by one year.

• Like 3

That's so true, start saving as much as you can as young as you can. Get involved with a 401k or 403b as early as you can and stock options depending on the company you work for. That's what I told my daughter when she was 17 years old and started working for Walmart part time, she stayed there 15 years after high school and college and her masters degree. She has quite a little nest egg from that. Now she's a full time teacher here in NY and will have a very good pension and already has enough money set aside for both her kids to attend any college they want to. Proud dad moment 😁

• Like 7

Joe, sorry to hear that.

I didn't mention it, but my wife also worked at the Troy Lab and she also lost her job.

One of the best days was when Jeff Gordon came for a visit. (One of two if I remember correctly)

StangeB.jpg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, stangeba said:

Joe, sorry to hear that.

I didn't mention it, but my wife also worked at the Troy Lab and she also lost her job.

One of the best days was when Jeff Gordon came for a visit. (One of two if I remember correctly)

They used to be a great company to work for when I started in '86. Slowly started going downhill, then they started peeling entire divisions off, usually taking the employees with them. That often came with much reduced benefits and security for them as well. Many ended up leaving those divested groups down the road.

Coincidentally, that's around the time Gordon was real popular. We used to complain that they had plenty of money to dump in his lap, but would scrutinize the crap out of us if we needed a new screwdriver.

Ironically, lol....this morning was one of the monthly breakfasts for retirees that we have. Great bunch of people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

That's so true, start saving as much as you can as young as you can. Get involved with a 401k or 403b as early as you can and stock options depending on the company you work for. That's what I told my daughter when she was 17 years old and started working for Walmart part time, she stayed there 15 years after high school and college and her masters degree. She has quite a little nest egg from that. Now she's a full time teacher here in NY and will have a very good pension and already has enough money set aside for both her kids to attend any college they want to. Proud dad moment 😁

Good advice there.....As a young lad I was taught pay is good but be aware of the benefits (pension/401K/healthcare)When I saw Eastern airlines go under, and took the pension plan with them the light bulb went off, nobody is going to worry about your retirement fund for you except you. I think I'll be good when I get as old as Joe and can retire 🤣

Now that we've all hijacked the thread that the OP started so he didnt hijack the other thread ......🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

When I started with CPD, PEBSCO had just recently gotten their hooks into the city to administer a 457 Plan.

The old timers informed us newbies to stay as far away from it as possible as PEBSCO had reportedly gone belly up in New York where it had originated, costing many participants to lose a substantial portion of their nest egg. 

Luckily I had enrolled when they visited us in the academy, ignored the salty veterans and regularly increased my contributions as my pay raises arrived.  I’m happy to report that at some point PEBSCO became Nationwide Retirement Solutions and playing the long game has really added up nicely, market conditions and the “Let’s Go Brandon” economy notwithstanding.  Hopefully these next couple of years before retirement gets me back close to Trump era  portfolio balances, as unlikely as it appears. 

But yes… one needs to get involved as early as possible, even if it’s only $50-$100 a paycheck. That’s one of only a few pearls of wisdom I can share with the new guys. 

• Like 4

I remember when I learned that my employer would add 50% of what I put into a retirement plan, I was overjoyed! I don't remember the limit but I do remember taking all they would give me! Good times.

I also just remembered a fellow worker who told me how he had taken money out of his retirement plan to purchase a camping trailer. He then added how it was the worst mistake he had ever made and he hated camping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stangeba said:

I remember when I learned that my employer would add 50% of what I put into a retirement plan, I was overjoyed! I don't remember the limit but I do remember taking all they would give me! Good times.

I also just remembered a fellow worker who told me how he had taken money out of his retirement plan to purchase a camping trailer. He then added how it was the worst mistake he had ever made and he hated camping.

Employer match is free money. Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of being matched at any percentage. 

Regarding dipping into savings plans for big purchases… that’s one of the dumbest things you can do from a fiscally prudent standpoint. Although with our program here, if you take a loan from your funds, the juice you pay goes back into your account with the principal (as you’re both the “lender” and “borrower”).  Still discouraged as you’re missing out on potential gains while that money is tied up in. your new pontoon or Harley purchase. 

• Like 2