Found Stuff From My ‘67 Camaro

Glen

I think I’ve mentioned in the past that my first car was a ‘67 Camaro which I got the summer I turned 16.

The story goes as follows:  Dad bought it used from Mom’s boss in ‘68. I believe they said Bossman wanted a new ‘68 convertible. Mom drove it daily until ‘78 until carting three kids around in a two door got old.  I can still remember a time two guys pulled up next to my Mom and asked if the car was for sale. When Mom said “no”, the one guy replied “I’ll give ya a pretty penny for it”.  I’ll never forget that moment because 6 or 7 year old me didn’t know what a “pretty penny” was. 

My sister, who is the oldest of the three of us, had first crack at the Camaro when she got her license. Lucky for me, she declined because it “wasn’t her style”.  I saved over $2,000 over the next few years working little after school jobs to pay for everything Dad said was gonna have to be done to get the car ready.  It seemed like an eternity.

Starting sometime in the spring of ‘86, my dad (a lifelong self-taught mechanic) and my Uncle Ron (a Ford dealership mechanic) ripped the 210 HP 327 and Powerglide out. They tore that motor down in one morning and afternoon and my uncle took it and the PG to coworkers who rebuilt the trans and cleaned and bored the block .030 over. 

I was tasked with taking the gas tank to the car wash to clean it out, and running to assorted parts places the next few weeks to pick up whatever new internals were needed for the motor, brake drums, lines, fluids… you name it. 

Once everything was ready I watched Dad and Uncle Ron re-build that 327 on a Saturday morning/afternoon. I’ll never forget getting the job of spray painting it when they were done, teasing me to hurry up so it’d be dry by the next morning so they could drop it back it. It was that or “you’re gonna have to wait til next weekend”. They dropped it in the next morning and I’ll never forget my uncle quickly backing the nut off a rocker arm when it made a “wuuuhhh” sound from a bit too much tightening once they started her up and adjusted the rockers and set the timing.  

The next thing I’ll never forget is the three of us going on a first test drive, oil burning off the exhaust… easily visible because they left the hood off for this maiden voyage. It never crossed my mind to drive a car without a hood.  It struck me as funny, wondering if the cops would pull us over if they saw us. 

Anyway, while looking for something totally unrelated, I found the following (in the toolbox out in the garage of all places). I sold her in the spring of ‘92 when I bought my first new ride - a Lumina Z-34 with a 5 speed - to celebrate having my first real job. 

Check out the amount paid as a deposit on the original bill of sale 🤣😂.  I forgot I even had this documentation as I have not seen it in close to 30 years. I don’t know how it got in my toolbox as I don’t remember putting it there, but I’m sure glad I found it.  No Build Sheet or Protect-O-Plate, though.  Anyway, just got to thinking about the good ol’ days and thought I’d share that story. 

AEF7F70A-834C-49D7-A1BA-E63D12DFA0EF.jpeg

54DDCAF9-F0E0-4F87-AA46-621E2458309A.jpeg

3F2FB7BA-2CC8-4761-BA91-07E50958C6E1.jpeg

133C5E34-8FB7-452F-A712-ABB7562084A4.jpeg

BD8DA5E9-1A83-4936-B0F2-A9BEC43F788A.jpeg

0A691601-DF63-4594-A038-A12D2EC8AA59.jpeg

2425825F-A875-41AF-BABE-FA376A64E24B.jpeg

351C5188-0E2B-4463-9A18-83FCDB1F732B.jpeg

FEB3160A-D288-4F79-BC47-A3E1CDFCC80F.jpeg

0A62D80E-BAB8-4C22-B3A4-6FE4D7243570.jpeg

• Like 11

Glen fantastic story and the Documentation!! But do you have any pics of her???  I dont see your Mascot today in the Camaro. He would have no room at all in the front seat!

However i am really liking the price of the car, and the interest is unbelievable at 3%, (Bring me back please!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willie said:

Glen fantastic story and the Documentation!! But do you have any pics of her???  I dont see your Mascot today in the Camaro. He would have no room at all in the front seat!

However i am really liking the price of the car, and the interest is unbelievable at 3%, (Bring me back please!)

Yea no mascot pic's shame 🤣 Since recent conversations have gone to the dogs lately 🤣 I'll add this. I sent it to Mercury figuring I might get some free swag but nothing 🙃

Mascot.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, willie said:

Gonna see if I can find any. I honestly don’t remember having or taking that many pictures of her.

2 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

So, have you tried to find it and buy it back?  It is always great to find things like this after so many years.

rob

It was a daily driver for years, the shock towers were just about rotted through, not to mention it was Swiss cheese under that vinyl top… It would rain just as much inside the car as out. I would be surprised if she were still around as I sold her to a neighborhood kid and never saw it again after that.   

1 hour ago, willie said:

Yeah, no way would Mongo fit 😂 

And how about that whopping $10 deposit? Simpler times indeed.   

• Like 2