71 SS at Auction

Would like more pictures.  Maybe supposed to be Sandlewood but looks a little few shades off.  Don't like the radio knobs, plus the air ride compressor is not there.

rob

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what it brings. I'll give it a thumbs up for the upgraded gauge package in the IP, Take away 1K for no load leveler. Says it has a build sheet but unless I missed it wasn't pictured. 

• Like 1

Overall looks like a nice ride. Either the shade of paint is off or possibly the lighting. Under the side trim is not blacked out. Like said, no air ride. Interior is untouched, looks original. Radio knobs are definitely refuse can material. Lol. 

Again, depending on the price, a little work and it can be a really nice SS. It's already nice, could be nicer. 

• Like 2

Agree with what others have said. A lot of small things will make this a much nicer car. Wheel well opening moldings are a must in my opinion. More pictures would definitely be nice. Especially the underside showing rear suspension components. This is a little suspicious.

A445AEC0-DA50-436A-BD9E-921DAF318DDF.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sbarnette said:

Agree with what others have said. A lot of small things will make this a much nicer car. Wheel well opening moldings are a must in my opinion. More pictures would definitely be nice. Especially the underside showing rear suspension components. This is a little suspicious.

A445AEC0-DA50-436A-BD9E-921DAF318DDF.jpeg

Eagle Eye Sammy, good catch

rob

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

Would like more pictures.  Maybe supposed to be Sandlewood but looks a little few shades off.  Don't like the radio knobs, plus the air ride compressor is not there.

rob

Not to mention headers are present. Have the original exhaust manifolds been retained?  If so, does the heat stove and vent/tubing accompany them?

Yep… what possessed - whoever did it - to go with faux woodgrain radio knobs??  And, yes… put up or shut up with the Build Sheet.

And don’t even get me started on that aftermarket flux capacitor 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Glen said:

Not to mention headers are present. Have the original exhaust manifolds been retained?  If so, does the heat stove and vent/tubing accompany them?

Yep… what possessed - whoever did it - to go with faux woodgrain radio knobs??  And, yes… put up or shut up with the Build Sheet.

And don’t even get me started on that aftermarket flux capacitor 🤪

I agree, Glen. I think these auction companies often don't know what they have and the potential crowd they are catering to. It's just an assembly line operation with no real experts on hand to guide the sale(s). I think this car will fetch good money but not probably not nearly what it could fetch if a little more effort was put into the presentation.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Glen said:

Yep… what possessed - whoever did it - to go with faux woodgrain radio knobs?? 

I think they're from a 76 Malibu Classic. My dad had one, which I learned how to drive in. Years later it ended up my winter car.

It's engine/trans ended up in my old 72 Custom when I sold it in the 90s. 

I still have those knobs here, if you want them....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, jft69z said:

I think they're from a 76 Malibu Classic. My dad had one, which I learned how to drive in. Years later it ended up my winter car.

It's engine/trans ended up in my old 72 Custom when I sold it in the 90s. 

I still have those knobs here, if you want them....

Nobody wants your knobs, Joe. 😝😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

No holes in the drivers side plastic fender well. It was replaced, either cracked or due to missing the load level compressor. Flat derby caps vs tall (correct ones) on rally rims, no SS steering wheel, new underhood insulation and clips besides what you had already listed. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Glen said:

Funny, I was found to comment on how Joe IS a knob. 

That's not very nice.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Montemedic said:

…no SS steering wheel…

There was no SS steering wheel that was part of the SS package. If you ordered an SS in 71 you still got the standard Monte wheel unless you also ordered the 4-spoke sport wheel.  Note that no steering wheel said SS on it in a Monte.

• Like 6

On 2/10/2023 at 9:10 AM, Canuck said:

There was no SS steering wheel that was part of the SS package. If you ordered an SS in 71 you still got the standard Monte wheel unless you also ordered the 4-spoke sport wheel.  Note that no steering wheel said SS on it in a Monte.

And the only paint color would be black on the steering column on an SS

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 11:52 PM, Rare SS said:

And the only paint color would be black on the steering column on an SS

All steering columns in 71 Montes were black.

1970 was the only year you could get a coloured steering column. In 70 nearly all SS cars had a black column but a few got out with a coloured column.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

All steering columns in 71 Montes were black.

1970 was the only year you could get a coloured steering column. In 70 nearly all SS cars had a black column but a few got out with a coloured column.

I did not know that about the 71 Montes.

My 70 SS has a black column btw

Thanks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overdrive said:

This is a Flint built, matching numbers '70 SS454 with every option.

Dan

Screenshot_20230223_094400_PDF Reader.jpg

Mine is a tilt also. This pos70 will always throw a wrinkle in things. A lot of strange things about this car. I so do wish I had a build sheet. Flint. 

• Like 4