Matching numbers? Blue engine block?

MrLPeezy

I hope I’m posting this in the correct space. A friend and I are currently restoring my 1972 Monte Carlo Custom. It has the 350 w/ 4bbl, built out of Van Nuys, CA. My Aunt and Uncle bought it new 72. That I have been told, nothing major has been replaced, such as the engine block or transmission… but… why  is the engine block painted blue? Shouldn’t it be Chevy Orange? Am I just trippin’? I want the final product to look as stock as can be. So did these come off the line with a blue engine block? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Chevy engines were painted the "Chevy orange" from I believe 1956 ish till mid 1970s ish. Then Chevy painted the engines blue, then on to the "corporate black". 

Check the numbers on the block, below the head, behind the alternator on the pad. See if they match the last 6 of the vin of the car. Also later engines had 5.0 or 5.7 cast into the block behind the distributor by the transmission on the driver's side. Also check the block number cast on the passenger side of the block behind the distributor by the trans. That will tell you the years the block was used and on what displacement. 

Also a lot of mid 70s v-8 Chevy engines were even smaller displacement than the 5.0/305. They were 267s and all painted blue. 

Hopefully somewhere along the line the original engine was painted blue for whatever reason. 

I hope this helps. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Chevy engines were painted the "Chevy orange" from I believe 1956 ish till mid 1970s ish. Then Chevy painted the engines blue, then on to the "corporate black". 

Check the numbers on the block, below the head, behind the alternator on the pad. See if they match the last 6 of the vin of the car. Also later engines had 5.0 or 5.7 cast into the block behind the distributor by the transmission on the driver's side. Also check the block number cast on the passenger side of the block behind the distributor by the trans. That will tell you the years the block was used and on what displacement. 

Also a lot of mid 70s v-8 Chevy engines were even smaller displacement than the 5.0/305. They were 267s and all painted blue. 

Hopefully somewhere along the line the original engine was painted blue for whatever reason. 

I hope this helps. 

My 72 Custom came out of Van Nuys with Blue painted 350 CI block and was factory installed, original to the car.  Probably not helping clearing up any confusion.

Doug

I’ve never seen or heard of a blue engine in a first gen Monte. Chevy engines were not blue until the mid 70’s. I would check the numbers on the block.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/decodingengine/

• Like 3

A “ci” block would be a warranty exchange done at a dealership under factory gm warranty or customer purchased it after the warranty expired and replaced it. It is no longer “original “. But a correct dated “ci” block is acceptable for restoration purposes, based on everything I’ve read. My chevelle has a “ci” dated late 71 and I was told it works for restoration. Edit in. Actually now that I think of it it should be “ ce”. 

8 hours ago, Canuck said:

I’ve never seen or heard of a blue engine in a first gen Monte. Chevy engines were not blue until the mid 70’s. I would check the numbers on the block.

https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/decodingengine/

I remember browsing over maintenance receipts that came with the car when I purchased it and I believe the Engine, while still original (matching Serial Numbers), may have had an overhaul around 50,000 miles.  While I saw no evidence of orange paint on engine block, can't rule it out.  Tried posting a pic of engine bay but not letting me at the moment.

Doug

My 76 Malibu Classic with 305 had a blue engine. 

Some google searches suggest 77 was the start, but another said mid-76 as well.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3274312-orange-blue-engine-block.html#post1583945136

• Like 1

Well, I found that it was a 3970010 block and just when you think you know everything that you need to know about a car… here comes the wrench in the story!

It’s a warranty replacement block from what I can find online. Cast # 3970010, Block was cast 06/10/75, the engine ID shows it was built out of Flint, on 06/25/75 and the last three are CMJ.

I don’t know what else this means other than… do I paint the engine blue or orange??? Stock would be blue… but does it matter at this point???

0FDB21F7-8410-40FC-8F41-F083BB9705DE.jpeg

B7CCD3A7-7C78-4332-B6E4-74100161C90E.jpeg

57D71EED-C985-4B8E-852B-7B9FA9B5E116.jpeg

77F4B7C4-4BB6-4719-9353-10139B232A65.jpeg

Ch- chevelle 

mc- Monte 

pa- passenger car. ( didn’t all cars carry passengers lol ). 
I agree with Joe paint it orange
I don’t think it was a warranty replacement just replaced sometime in its history, probably just a used engine that was bought. IMO. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

I too would paint it orange  !!

Yes, CMJ was on the pad behind the alternator, no vin next to the engine ID. I appreciate everyone’s feedback!

Edited by MrLPeezy

• 5 months later...