small block headers

Tmac

I see a acouple of old threads on big block headers but i am not finding anything on small blocks. will long tube headers fit on a 400 with a TH350 behind it without alot of messing around or should a guy just go with shortys? It also has 2" drop spindles on it, but i dont think that will affect it too much.

20 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Yes there was a sb 400 for a few years. I have one out of a 71 caprice on a stand in my garage (block anyhow) it's a 4 bolt main also. They were a strong running motor. 

I had one in my Monza. Tunnel w/ dual 600 hollies. Fun car b

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2023 at 8:15 PM, Tmac said:

400 is a small block

Sorry... The 400 cid small block didn't start showing up around here until the mid '70's. And usually installed in pick ups. Didn't know they made their way into first gen Montes. 

I ordered a 400SB September 20,1969 and it came from the Van Nays plant because the Flint plant went on strike right after my order was placed

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2023 at 9:35 AM, 714024SPEED said:

I have hooker long tube headers on my 355 with a turbo 400 they went in with no issues and they don't hang down low under the car.

Thanks this is good INFO!  I was planning on putting Hooker Headers on my '70 down the road and was wondering about that.  I wondered if they were specifically for a Monte Carlo if they would truly be a REAL FIT without having to ding them for steering gearbox or power steering or idler arms etc. etc. like you do with so many other headers.  I was thinking that Hooker would probably build headers that really do FIT!  I've had Doug Thorley, Hedmans and seemed like they were always hard to install and required some banging and denting to get them in.  I was hoping Hooker builds them right.  Could never afford them before and had to go with the cheapies.

The great thing about the Monte Carlo is that the engine is set back further from the front wheels than a Chevelle, Camaro or Nova so headers are not usually an issue, especially with a small block. Big blocks with big tube headers, different story. Lol