Need input on this '70 at auction

Not to high jack another thread, but that’s what we do, I went and looked at the ones I pulled out of the pos70,4/70, and they were pointed no bar 71 style. So this is an easy switch to fix. Both cars were original , best to my knowledge. Funny stuff. 

1 hour ago, Dtret said:

Not to high jack another thread, but that’s what we do, I went and looked at the ones I pulled out of the pos70,4/70, and they were pointed no bar 71 style. So this is an easy switch to fix. Both cars were original , best to my knowledge. Funny stuff. 

The 70 is no bar, 71 and 72 have the bar. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheBMan said:

I don't even bother with Facebook groups, Joe. In general not worth it for the reasons you listed.

So here is something I just came across on FB. A guy posts a question about how his rear quarter extensions don't appear to fit real good after putting quarter panels on. 

Here is just one of a few great answers. Even more disturbing is 3 people 'liked' his answer.

Screenshot 2023-02-21 191119.png

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jft69z said:

So here is something I just came across on FB. A guy posts a question about how his rear quarter extensions don't appear to fit real good after putting quarter panels on. 

Here is just one of a few great answers. Even more disturbing is 3 people 'liked' his answer.

Screenshot 2023-02-21 191119.png

Commonly referred to as “Appalachian Engineering” 🤣😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Glen said:

Commonly referred to as “Appalachian Engineering” 🤣😂 

and "Illiterate Educating" 😄

• Haha 2

Okay guys, I went to Greensboro today and checked out the car at GAA. While I was down there, I looked at another that was nearby. I'll update here tomorrow with details and some pictures. I'm kinda brain dead right now after 14 hours behind the wheel from early(!) this morning till now. Stay tuned...

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, TheBMan said:

Okay guys, I went to Greensboro today and checked out the car at GAA. While I was down there, I looked at another that was nearby. I'll update here tomorrow with details and some pictures. I'm kinda brain dead right now after 14 hours behind the wheel from early(!) this morning till now. Stay tuned...

Rest up ! I used to do those 14 hour 1K mile runs, I'm too old for that now 🤣

2 hours ago, TheBMan said:

Oh cool, I was not aware you could get in there before the auction officially starts tomorrow.  Shows you what I know…

Very interested to hear your thoughts on the car and the set up at GAA!

-Bill

Well guys, here are a few photos of the black '70 at GAA. In short, it wasn't very good. It looked like they (whoever 'they' are) hastily painted the car and just covered a lot of flaws (corrosion, rust, old flaky paint, etc). There are lots of sand scratches visible and lots of Bondo. I was pretty dismayed so I completely forgot to look at the body tag to see if it was originally a black/black black vinyl bucket car. They did install the missing A/C lines. The carb is a Quadrajet but it's not original as noted by the electric choke. Wrong exhaust manifolds. The undercarriage looked okay but was covered in undercoating, which made me wonder what it was covering. New exhaust. The trunk interior looked better than expected. The keys were in the car but I didn't bother starting it since I knew I wasn't interested. I found lots of NAPA and CarQuest receipts in the glovebox which appeared to be from the dealer who sent the car to auction.

On the up side, as @Mopper77 said, the GAA place was pretty cool. BIG. LOTS of cars. The people working there were busy getting ready for the start of the auction today but they were very friendly and took time to show me where to find the car. All of the cars are stored indoors, which I wasn't expecting.

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

IMG_0925 2.jpg

IMG_0926 2.jpg

IMG_0927 2.jpg

IMG_0929 2.jpg

IMG_0930 2.jpg

IMG_0932 2.jpg

IMG_0934 2.jpg

IMG_0935 2.jpg

IMG_0937 2.jpg

IMG_0938 2.jpg

IMG_0939 2.jpg

IMG_0940 2.jpg

IMG_0942 2.jpg

IMG_0943 2.jpg

IMG_0944 2.jpg

IMG_0945 2.jpg

• Like 3

And here is the other car I stopped to look at. It was at Hudson Auto Works, also in Greensboro. This car was actually pretty nice. Good bones. Nice paint and no visible rust or corrosion. Trunk interior looked great. The body tag (10/748) indicates it was originally Classic White with Black Prima Cloth Bench Seat (this one is vinyl). It's not numbers matching. I didn't get a lot of photos because I was with a salesperson who, by the way, was super cool. His name is Joe. If anyone is looking for a solid albeit unoriginal 70, this would be a good starting point. I thought the price was a bit high but still, solid car. Oh, it was a FGMCC member car so maybe someone recognizes it?

They have a large indoor showroom, offsite from their main building, which is clean and well-lit.

https://hudsonautoworks.com/inventory/37971/view/CC7747-W/Greensboro-NC/1970-Chevrolet-Monte Carlo

IMG_0946 2.jpg

IMG_0947 2.jpg

• Like 5

If that car is local to Greensboro, I'm surprised that I have never seen it around the local shows ( however I have been gone from that area for 7 years ) .  I will have to say, it's a beautiful car .  Great color combo, definitely pops !!!

12 minutes ago, Michael Boyte said:

If that car is local to Greensboro, I'm surprised that I have never seen it around the local shows ( however I have been gone from that area for 7 years ) .  I will have to say, it's a beautiful car .  Great color combo, definitely pops !!!

Hey Michael. I'm not sure it if was always local to Greensboro. The salesperson said they purchased it through a wholesaler; their own guy who looks for and purchases cars on behalf of Hudson Auto Works. I don't know where this car came from. Agreed that it's a pretty car!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FrankOC said:

Bryan,  did you happen to look at the 71? I noticed it has no reserve. https://www.gaaclassiccars.com/vehicles/36989/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss

Looks like the black 70 went for $23k!

Hey Frank, no, I didn't look at the 71. I knew I wasn't interested in it so I totally forgot about it. I hope whoever bought the black one enjoys the car and brings it back to its full potential!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, FrankOC said:

Bryan,  did you happen to look at the 71? I noticed it has no reserve. https://www.gaaclassiccars.com/vehicles/36989/1971-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss

Looks like the black 70 went for $23k!

YUK! That black 70 should have gone for maybe $10k...Man! what a ROUGH CAR! Whoever bought it better be a body man / painter!

Depending upon what's discovered once sanded down, I'm sure it would cost $25,000 just at the bodyshop! 

• Like 1