“Almost Finished restoration”

Alex & Keith 72 Monte

So close but working out details and w8ll consult with our MC friends for expertise.

• brakes are weak - I believe rear drums need to be adjusted - fronts are new calipers on coil overs and tubular control arms.
  • coming off idle engine hesitates - investigating Holly Accelerator adjustment
  • after market voltage gauge does not work - will trace line and check ground
  • after market temp gauge not working - same as above and already replaced temp probe (also have temp probes for electric radiator and factory temp probe on intake for idiot lights)
  • engine runs great and then will smoke a heavy smoke for 20 seconds (not necessarily blue in color but not wispy like coolant) - need to drive her a bit and reconsidering remounting intake.  Bought engine used from friend - ran well in August with just a little blow by.

any comments always appreciated and have new buddy Ray of MC club coming over this week.

thanks all,  Keith

• Like 1

Great looking and sounding Monte! 

Why the high idle? Choke? Vacuum leak? Both can cause weak brakes and hesitation off idle. What's the timing at? What are the engine specs? 

• Like 1

In addition to what @MC1of80 said, I did find this interesting bit of information that may be helpful. Full disclosure, I am not a Holley expert.

Do you have a PCV system connected? A faulty PCV valve will cause oil to be pulled into the intake and burned with combustion. Does the engine smoke after idling for a while? If so, high vacuum at idle will pull oil past the valve stem seals or even the rings. This will usually manifest after sitting at a traffic signal or someplace where you're idling for a bit. You hit the gas and POOF, several seconds of oil burned off with a big cloud of smoke behind you.

Just some thoughts. Hope it helps! Remote troubleshooting is difficult unless it's a 'known' common issue.

• Like 2

Hi Alex & Keith,

Regarding the brakes, 

Are you still using the original booster pot, and do you have enough vacuum from the engine ? A leak in there is hard to see.

Did you set the little adjustment screw in the end of the rod that pushes into the vacuum pot ? It'll reduce brake travel and give you a better feel.

Are you using original, or OEM rubber brake lines ? I found the steel braided lines do make a difference......

Just keep in mind, it's 50 year old tech, so it won't feel like braking in a new car....... ;)

Also, I've discovered that every gauge maker (including the original) use different frequencies/resistance in their product.... Are your gauges matched to their senders by manufacturer ?

How this helps, and welcome to the insanity !!! lol

Scott.

Thanks so much Gents for feedback.  I’ll track down a lot of these items and comeback with details

in a nut shell - I bought this engine from a friend who did not build it.  Briefly it has a cam with 0.45 lift and roller rockers and medium lopey cam. I remounted the intake and oil pan and went with a long water pump.  Also y’all comments bring me to think that I did change the carb spacer.  I had an aluminum one and swapped it out for the plastic one.  Will check thickness of both. This engine ran fine in August with a little blow by. I added an external baffle to the valve cover as they are original 60 Corvette finned ones.   My resto is all new front coil overs and calipers, booster etc and kept the rear drums and just redid everything.   All new gas, brake and trans SS lines.  Running the timing at 14/34 and played with several different ranges but tbis is where it was and also show chalk marks at these numbers.   interesting on temp gauge aftermarket and probe - something to check out! StAy tuned as let me tinker with all your great thoughts!  

4CA90FD7-4D61-4334-9A3C-4DD131E5D318.jpeg

695DFBB9-5EF1-4326-9C9D-1101C15EBD49.jpeg

0557D4B7-0C9E-4742-ABDA-28E3B1C8E174.jpeg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Grant - I have a bad modulator - tool off the vent tube at trans and ATF came out.  Tested it off for vacuum - zero…you nailed it along with others, Thanks and still working on tweaking some things.  thanks all!!!   Keith

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Continue to fine tune her as hesitation coming off idle, other wise very strong through the rpm band. Putting in different vac advance and will adjust timing.  At least very streetable.  Love our First Gen Monte’s!  Amazing I’m usually the only one at a show and always a dozen Chevelle.

F0461B14-3301-42CE-A712-2AC8F32EBC87.jpeg

D2623249-9DA0-4C6F-9EB1-09FB51063532.jpeg

• Like 4